Focus On Quality Tourists, Not Quantity, Urges PM Abhisit

webfact

A good start might be taking a bulldozer through places like Pattaya. Round up all the bargirls on the streets. Quality tourists don't flock to Thailand for ladyboys and the sex industry.

what is the definition of quality? You may not be aware but the sex tourist spend huge amount of money, by far much more then any family or the so called quality. You will not see Pattaya business crying for not making any money, they only cry they do not make as much as they use to.

Sex tourists on average spend 5K-10K per day, stay for longer and hardly get affected by any economic factors. Even if the airport gets closed down again, they will take a bus, boat or walk if they have to get the taste of a female., they will sell everything they owe just to have the 1-4 week holiday in Pattaya.

So what is better? the so called quality or the ones who will come no matter what and will spend no matter what?

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic news for us longterm residents in Thailand my dear fellow members!!

This is the start of new policy.....because......

quality tourisme requires quality services doesnt it?.

for sure we can expect an upcoming crackdown on corrupt officials in the coming months.

quality....hmmmmmm i LOVE the word.

Vacation in Thailand = spending some quality time in Thailand.

no more scuba-jetski-atm-or whatever scam possible.

hgma

@KKK

Here's the thing.

I like the mountains but I hear that a lot of people prefer the coast or the city...

Are the rumours true that retaliotory rebel bands are massing on the beaches to launch the "flatten the mountains" campaign as a backlash to the "bulldoze Pats! campaign?

Do we get to pick colours or are they pre-assigned.

I quite like blue or or a burnt sunset orange for the "Coasters" and lincoln green for the "Hillbillies"

I think we should call the UN pdq to step in and sort this one out....

That or posters can adopt slightly more rational thought processes than this post :cheesy:

"A smattering of Russians and no one else" was how the tourist numbers on Koh Samet were described to me yesterday. "Even the staff are getting worried", said the restaurateur of eleven years in a prime location on the island.

"Low season hasn't even begun and I've never seen it this bad, even the Scandinavians have vanished."

This is the reality and these business owners are not expecting any growth in trade for the foreseeable future, particularly now with very high oil prices on the horizon with the revolutions across the Middle East, continuing global economic turmoil and the resilient strength of the Thai Baht.

So I think they need to be concentrating on quantity. Not quite sure how you control quality unless consulate interviews are conducted to get a 30 day holiday visa.

Does Abhisit think that we back packers don't spend money?? As a matter of fact we may spend more than some of the rich and famous.

We may stay in cheaper accommodations, but that doesn't mean we don't spend money. That's OK we can spread the word very quick that we are not wanted in Thailand,

there are many countries that welcome as Backpackers with open arms.

Go ahead and welcome the Russian Mafia and the Drug peddling Africans, good luck to you Thailand.

Fantastic news for us longterm residents in Thailand my dear fellow members!!

This is the start of new policy.....because......

quality tourisme requires quality services doesnt it?.

for sure we can expect an upcoming crackdown on corrupt officials in the coming months.

quality....hmmmmmm i LOVE the word.

Vacation in Thailand = spending some quality time in Thailand.

no more scuba-jetski-atm-or whatever scam possible.

hgma

I think you are dreaming.

"A smattering of Russians and no one else" was how the tourist numbers on Koh Samet were described to me yesterday. "Even the staff are getting worried", said the restaurateur of eleven years in a prime location on the island.

"Low season hasn't even begun and I've never seen it this bad, even the Scandinavians have vanished."

This is the reality and these business owners are not expecting any growth in trade for the foreseeable future, particularly now with very high oil prices on the horizon with the revolutions across the Middle East, continuing global economic turmoil and the resilient strength of the Thai Baht.

So I think they need to be concentrating on quantity. Not quite sure how you control quality unless consulate interviews are conducted to get a 30 day holiday visa.

Does Abhisit think that we back packers don't spend money?? As a matter of fact we may spend more than some of the rich and famous.

We may stay in cheaper accommodations, but that doesn't mean we don't spend money. That's OK we can spread the word very quick that we are not wanted in Thailand,

Go ahead and welcome the Russian Mafia and the Drug peddling Africans, good luck to you Thailand.

Is there s secret backpacker society who communicate with each other? and i really doubt any country is dying to have the backpackers, while countries tolerate it they certainly do not wish for it.

Luckily we do not have to worry about the quality of the Nation's reporting. It is as bad as always. The income of tourism 585 Million???? From 15.8 million foreign tourists? Where do they sleep? In the park on a bench? What do they eat left-overss from the Abhisit family?

The entire article is laughable, just like all the numbers and statements of the Nation and the Abhisit government are. Does he Nation have editors at all?

The PM graduated from Oxfarm, Britain. My questions are:

1.what is the boundary of defining Quality tourists? How to screen Farangs?

2.Is this what we call discrimination? In some countries, he could be taken to legal system.

3.The improvement of the facilities to be provided for what he calls Quality Tourists. Is there a plan? Taxis at Swampy, Long Q for Immigration check point and Mafia at the parking lot.

4.Where will girls and boys in the sex industry work? Get 'em trained to work else where?

@KKK

Here's the thing.

I like the mountains but I hear that a lot of people prefer the coast or the city...

Are the rumours true that retaliotory rebel bands are massing on the beaches to launch the "flatten the mountains" campaign as a backlash to the "bulldoze Pats! campaign?

Do we get to pick colours or are they pre-assigned.

I quite like blue or or a burnt sunset orange for the "Coasters" and lincoln green for the "Hillbillies"

I think we should call the UN pdq to step in and sort this one out....

That or posters can adopt slightly more rational thought processes than this post :cheesy:

I don't like mountains but don't go around saying they should be bulldozed or bombed. I just choose not to go there preferring to stay at the beach. Neither do I insult the mountain people by calling them hillbillies. I have much more respect for my fellow man. I see no reason for anybody to knock Pattaya or the mountains just because they don't like them. Hence my reasoning that the knocking maybe caused by jealousness rather than hatred. I know a group of people who years ago lived and worked in Bangkok. On their visits to Pattaya they did nothing but knock it condeming its sleazy side. Now however they have all retired to Pattaya and partake of its sleazy side every night of the week.. Hypocrites.

A good start might be taking a bulldozer through places like Pattaya. Round up all the bargirls on the streets. Quality tourists don't flock to Thailand for ladyboys and the sex industry.

what is the definition of quality? You may not be aware but the sex tourist spend huge amount of money, by far much more then any family or the so called quality. You will not see Pattaya business crying for not making any money, they only cry they do not make as much as they use to.

Sex tourists on average spend 5K-10K per day, stay for longer and hardly get affected by any economic factors. Even if the airport gets closed down again, they will take a bus, boat or walk if they have to get the taste of a female., they will sell everything they owe just to have the 1-4 week holiday in Pattaya.

So what is better? the so called quality or the ones who will come no matter what and will spend no matter what?

First you got to get read of the Russian Mafia, not even the girls like them. I have talked to so many Westeners which are not coming back to Thailand,

as this is not the only country with beautiful girls, who nowadays charge prices that are worse than in western parts.

Mostly we are to blame our selfs, as in particular the English come her for two weeks, show the girls a roll of money, pay 4-5000 bath or more for a night of fun,

tip them stupid amounts of money and than go back home. I cant wait to see the Pound to drop to 20bath, in order to stop this nonsense.

Is there s secret backpacker society who communicate with each other? and i really doubt any country is dying to have the backpackers, while countries tolerate it they certainly do not wish for it.

@kuffki

Secret society? Yes. It's called social networking!

Many countries welcome backpackers.

You're invited to my next lecture of tourism devolpment...

Luckily we do not have to worry about the quality of the Nation's reporting. It is as bad as always. The income of tourism 585 Million???? From 15.8 million foreign tourists? Where do they sleep? In the park on a bench? What do they eat left-overss from the Abhisit family?

The entire article is laughable, just like all the numbers and statements of the Nation and the Abhisit government are. Does he Nation have editors at all?

I agree thisj@rk, the Nation group is lucrative. They make up news from what they wanna see and it's not based on the reality though.

The PM graduated from Oxfarm, Britain. My questions are:

1.what is the boundary of defining Quality tourists? How to screen Farangs?

2.Is this what we call discrimination? In some countries, he could be taken to legal system.

3.The improvement of the facilities to be provided for what he calls Quality Tourists. Is there a plan? Taxis at Swampy, Long Q for Immigration check point and Mafia at the parking lot.

4.Where will girls and boys in the sex industry work? Get 'em trained to work else where?

He means, get read of Backpackers, or maybe only allow them to stay 2 weeks, No problem Mr Pm we may decide not to come here at all any more,

thank you for welcoming us.

First you got to get read of the Russian Mafia, not even the girls like them. I have talked to so many Westeners which are not coming back to Thailand,

as this is not the only country with beautiful girls, who nowadays charge prices that are worse than in western parts.

Mostly we are to blame our selfs, as in particular the English come her for two weeks, show the girls a roll of money, pay 4-5000 bath or more for a night of fun,

tip them stupid amounts of money and than go back home. I cant wait to see the Pound to drop to 20bath, in order to stop this nonsense.

Can you please point out where you saw Russian Mafia, what they looked like and what they did to affect you?

I really have no idea where you get your numbers from, about girls charging more then in the West or the actual figures you quoted.

May be they quoted crazy prices because they did not want to go with that customer and English certainly do not throw cash around, if anything they are the tightest out of all.

@kuffki

Secret society? Yes. It's called social networking!

Many countries welcome backpackers.

You're invited to my next lecture of tourism devolpment...

I am sorry but i would have to pass on a lecture of tourism development from a backpacker, much prefer to listen to lectures from educated, successful people who have travelled in class, not on the back of the horse with 1 backpack. But thank you for the offer anyhow.

PS. Could you may be point out countries who welcome backpackers and openly say so, a link would be great! Thanks in advance once again

"Last year Thailand received 15.8 million international tourists, generating income of Bt585 million, he said."

That averages out at a tad over 37 Baht per international visitor. Is the quoted line a typo, or are the PM's advisors/scriptwriters slacking a bit?

Anyway, sad to say that Thailand (in common with just about every other country trying to entice tourists) can't be too picky at the moment.

you're right, that doesn't make sense. I think it's more like 58.5 billion or 585 billion. at the end, he was talking about 7 % of GDP, right?

Backpackers normally see much more of the real Thailand than so called quality tourists. Most of them are young people and they get along with rural Thais quite well. They benefit the REAL Thai people more than regular tourists because they spread their money among mom and pop stores and small guest houses.

AND, they do get older and quite possibly turn into the "Quality Tourists" that the corrupt Thai politicians seem to want.

so called quality tourists don't flock anywhere except the Chinese owned gem and tacky rubbish shops their Chinese owned company guides take them. What is a quality person? are the rest of us untermensh? Who the F*** is this puppet ruler to talk about who is quality and who isn't? At the end of the day the frugal retirees spend their money in Thailand so the puppet leader shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. After all when what we all know will happen that we are not allowed to talk about{everyone dies} they'll be lucky to keep what they consider trash. By the way when the shit has ever hit the fan in Thailand us trash people have always stuck it out whilst the North East Asians and other QUALITY people have stopped coming or left in droves. The Thais need to think as wholesalers at present because turnover is what they have now but trying to make themselves into a Monte Carlo of Asia will not work. They need to teach their people to stop attacking and scamming visitors for a start. Or not to blow all the crap out of their noses whilst they're making your fried chicken might be a start. Don't forget also for every

group of bargirls/ladyboys there is a logistical support crew of food vendors,beauticians,pharmacists,clothing shoe and trinket sellers, and a multitude of other occupations that would be out of work if the domino effect of no Bar customer = No bargirl =I'm sure you can work it out. Just to end I rarely go to any bars myself these days but understand the meaning of HORSES FOR COURSES..

Yet another thread brings out the Pattaya knockers. While I know this may be off topic, I can not let certain comments go without commenting myself.

The opposite to 'quality tourists' is 'low quality tourists', and I therefore take great exception to the Pattaya knockers here, e.g softgeorge and samran, though there are no doubt others who agree with them, like craigj7, for saying that Pattaya should be bulldozed down or that an atomic bomb should be dropped on it.

Shame on you all.

In making such stupid comments, and in agreeing with them, you are insinuating that I and my many friends who live here are low quality human beings, and likewise all those who come out to visit us must be as well, I and my friends who live here were tourists once, before we decided to retire and live here in Pattaya.

p.s I see that craigj7 is knocking the Americans as well now. Jeez, what is wrong with you? I am British and know many really decent Americans here in Pattaya. Grow up will you, please.

Oh, get a grip...I am sure they don't mean it literally. I too live in Pattaya and I too have visitors come visit me. But we are realistic to be well aware of Pattaya's reputation...it does not bother me generally what others think. And I can understand why some suggest bulldozing the town, let's face it, it's not a pretty sight when the ALMOST entire Central Business District's main theme is devoted to the Big Hansum Man. It only bothers me in one aspect: that the focus on "adult entertainment" is at the expense of the other main asset, the beach. Pattaya should develop and focus on both (they are complementary and unique to this city) and it will attract all types, low and high quality which is fine...cos who needs another Hong Kong/Singapore here.

Now if it bothers you that you are viewed as low quality scum (wrongly, of course), then you need (1) to stop associating with PAttaya or (2) grow a thicker skin or (3) try to support any government attempts at rebalancing the tourism here to expand to other segments.

There is no point getting upset when someone points at some obvious truth about the people in your town. Try to understand why that general perception exists. Now can you understand why the PM is hinting at getting a another type of tourist...because once the perception and reputation sticks, it is very hard to shake it off.

As for those who say NOBODY comes to Thailand for high end stuff, have you been to the Banyan Tree, the Anantara resorts, the Oriental (one of the best hotels in the world for years), and others where you are not expected to leave your room and service is delivered to your pool villa? Many western expats who work in China/Japan do holiday here as it's close and convenient for a quick getaway to be pampered.

I didn't read through all 7 pages of responses, so apologize if this was brought up before. Didn't Thaksin try this before with his Elite Thailand Card scam? How did that work out?

Worked out well, they just did not get the numbers they hoped for, so simply cancelled it, rather then to promote it more.

I believe attempts to deduce the per head tourist expenditures from the article's figures are useless. Obviously, 3,700 THB can't be a good number for an entire stay of each tourist unless they stayed only one or two days (or a 1/2 day stay in the BKK airport). What would be useful is the average stay time per individual, accurate out-of-airport head counts and accurate total expenditure amount for all out-of-airport tourists. I wonder if even TAT can come up with these.

Also, they seem to be believing the USA (at least) propaganda that this recession is in recovery. I guess jobless Americans could visit Thailand on their unemployment dole as well as the overpaid government union workers, but I digress. Even the 'quality tourists' (which I translate to 'big spenders') are feeling the recession and won't be throwing as much money around wherever they visit ... except for the Obama family and their entourage, of course.

Edited by MaxYakov

I think when the PM said "quality" he was referring to "high expenditure" and not much else.

And if that's true what will happen to all the small hotels, guest houses, restaurants, etc. frequented by the not-so-high-expenditure tourists and owned by the not-so-rich Thai people. They'll all go out of business while the big corporate hotels and restaurants fill with the high-expenditure tourists making their profit curves soar upwards lining the pockets even more of the already-rich shareholders.

Way to go Abhisit......make the rich richer and the poor poorer......

What he should be doing is promoting all expenditure levels of tourism till all hotel rooms are full. And in the meantime ban all building of new hotels.

Edited by KKK

I didn't read through all 7 pages of responses, so apologize if this was brought up before. Didn't Thaksin try this before with his Elite Thailand Card scam? How did that work out?

Yes it was, thank you though....

Thailand should not look a gift horse in the mouth. Very few "Quality" tourists are likely to bother with Thailand at all. The South of France is so much more inviting.

HERE HERE, You are a clever person and a man after my own heart. Hope you pass the quality human being test if rounded up.

I'd drive a buldozer through your house first....not everything in Pattaya is to do with sex.

Agreed...... you drive or I drive?

I'd drive something through him

Yet another thread brings out the Pattaya knockers. While I know this may be off topic, I can not let certain comments go without commenting myself.

The opposite to 'quality tourists' is 'low quality tourists', and I therefore take great exception to the Pattaya knockers here, e.g softgeorge and samran, though there are no doubt others who agree with them, like craigj7, for saying that Pattaya should be bulldozed down or that an atomic bomb should be dropped on it.

Shame on you all.

In making such stupid comments, and in agreeing with them, you are insinuating that I and my many friends who live here are low quality human beings, and likewise all those who come out to visit us must be as well, I and my friends who live here were tourists once, before we decided to retire and live here in Pattaya.

p.s I see that craigj7 is knocking the Americans as well now. Jeez, what is wrong with you? I am British and know many really decent Americans here in Pattaya. Grow up will you, please.

Oh, get a grip...I am sure they don't mean it literally. I too live in Pattaya and I too have visitors come visit me. But we are realistic to be well aware of Pattaya's reputation...it does not bother me generally what others think. And I can understand why some suggest bulldozing the town, let's face it, it's not a pretty sight when the ALMOST entire Central Business District's main theme is devoted to the Big Hansum Man. It only bothers me in one aspect: that the focus on "adult entertainment" is at the expense of the other main asset, the beach. Pattaya should develop and focus on both (they are complementary and unique to this city) and it will attract all types, low and high quality which is fine...cos who needs another Hong Kong/Singapore here.

Now if it bothers you that you are viewed as low quality scum (wrongly, of course), then you need (1) to stop associating with PAttaya or (2) grow a thicker skin or (3) try to support any government attempts at rebalancing the tourism here to expand to other segments.

There is no point getting upset when someone points at some obvious truth about the people in your town. Try to understand why that general perception exists. Now can you understand why the PM is hinting at getting a another type of tourist...because once the perception and reputation sticks, it is very hard to shake it off.

As for those who say NOBODY comes to Thailand for high end stuff, have you been to the Banyan Tree, the Anantara resorts, the Oriental (one of the best hotels in the world for years), and others where you are not expected to leave your room and service is delivered to your pool villa? Many western expats who work in China/Japan do holiday here as it's close and convenient for a quick getaway to be pampered.

my thoughts pretty much.

Perceptions count, which is why I re-iterate that they image of Thailand as the knock-shop of Asia will do a disservice to other sectors in the economy.

Edited by samran

haha, big spenders only huh? Reminds me of that statement from Thaksin where locals should just get all the cash from the tourists they can while they're here, instead of thinking of ways to satisfy and make one happy and wanna return.