Thai Mystery Hotel Death Toll Jumps To Four

webfact

shhhht ..... dont scare the few tourists left .

There's loads coming! 14.8 million, 15.5 million, hang on, now it's 15.8 million last year! Record numbers according to this government!

:lol:

Well according ton one ministry,

who doesn't likely ask the cabinet for permission to do a press release.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai police probe multiple hotel deaths

BANGKOK, March 3, 2011 (AFP) - Thai police on Thursday said they were investigating the deaths of four people who fell ill at the same hotel within less than three weeks.

A young New Zealand woman, an elderly British couple and a Thai tour guide were all taken ill in February at the Downtown Inn in Chiang Mai, Thailand's second-biggest city and a popular tourist destination.

Police said they were looking into all of the deaths, although there was as yet no indication that they were linked.

Acting hotel manager Vinai Julsiri said the deaths were a coincidence.

"The news about hotel's mystery death is really bad for our business. It was not true," he said. "There is nothing wrong or dangerous in our hotel."

A 47-year-old Thai woman, who was found dead on February 3 in the bathroom of her room, is believed to have had an existing medical condition, police said. Investigators are awaiting the results of a postmortem.

Within days a New Zealand woman arrived at the hotel with two friends and all three fell ill.

The 23-year-old was rushed to hospital and later died, while her two friends later recovered.

Police Captain Wichian Chaichompu said the British couple, both believed to be in their 70s, had checked in to the hotel on February 9 and were found dead in their room 10 days later.

"The doctor didn't find any trace of toxic substance or drug in their bodies. We didn't see any sign of fighting or attack," he said.

Police are still waiting for autopsy results.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-03-04

Don't expect any resolution or explanation to this in the near future. We are still waiting for explanations of the very strange and unexplained deaths of Jill St Onge and Julie Bergheim in Koh Phi Phi in 2008. Nobody delays and obstructs an investigation better than the Thai police.

THAI POLICE SHOULD TELL,TRUE AND NEW ZEALAND GOVERNMENT WILL WARM THE TRAVELERS ABOUT EATING ON STREET VENDORS OR WHATEVER HAPPEN TO HER.STOP THE COVER UPS AND SCAMS,THE TOURISTS WILL SLOW DOWN,PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW THE TRUE ALSO GOVERNMENT TO KEEP UP DATE ON THIS EVENT LATELY IN THAILAND.MAKE THAILAND A SAFE PLACE AND WITHOUT HIDINGS THE TRUTH ...............

Please do not post using the cap lock. It is like shouting and many members find this to be rude. Here is a copy from a website discussing "Netiquette".

“Netiquette” is slang for “Internet etiquette”. It refers to the accepted behaviors and practices regarding interactive online activity such as discussion forums, chat rooms, and e-mail. Your adherence to these guidelines will help make the online community in which you are participating easier and more enjoyable for everyone to use.

Please note that the points discussed here provide general suggestions; for more specific information, you should read the guidelines for the community in which you want to participate.

Don’t type in all capital letters

Typing in all capital letters on the Internet is considered rude because it is difficult to read and comes across as very aggressive (LIKE SHOUTING!). If you take away nothing from this ‘how-to’ other than knowing that typing in “caps” is widely despised on the Internet, consider it time well spent.

This was taken from this website, of which there are many others discussing internet etiquette:

http://www.simplehelp.net/2006/08/14/how-to-be-polite-while-youre-online-practicing-good-netiquette/

There's loads coming! 14.8 million, 15.5 million, hang on, now it's 15.8 million last year! Record numbers according to this government!

Those inflated numbers include the border runners.

Don't expect any resolution or explanation to this in the near future. We are still waiting for explanations of the very strange and unexplained deaths of Jill St Onge and Julie Bergheim in Koh Phi Phi in 2008. Nobody delays and obstructs an investigation better than the Thai police.

My thoughts precisely. Inept Thai investigators will do as good a job on these untimely deaths as they did on the deaths of the two young and ordinarily healthy women at the g.h. at Ko Pi Pi. Can you spell c-o-v-e-r-u-p?

WELL, its no secret that whatever unfortunate events should become of farangs while in LOS is THEIR fault and theirs alone, just by way of their being here...as per any traffic accident involving a farang would suggest.

After all, the powers that be are probably asking themselves the question of why this is mainly happening to farangs and not thais?:unsure:

As far as any unfortunate thais dying in these same circumstances, we farangs are probably blamed for that as well, since the bad farang probably passed on the bad karma to the poor unsuspecting innocent Thai.

On a whole, and all things considered, i do love Thailand, but God help us, will common sense ever prevail and will this type of backwards thinking EVER be recognised as such??:(

Wouldn't it be rather nice if the Embassy of the different individuals here, were to get involved and demand the right to their own seperate autopsy.

Not just in this case, but all instances where there is doubt.

jb1

Wouldn't it be rather nice if the Embassy of the different individuals here, were to get involved and demand the right to their own seperate autopsy.

jb1

Such a demand will most certainly be made when the insurance companies get involved.

Yeah I like Drummond a lot but "secret" is not the correct term. Covered up; hushed up more like.

Actually I cannot prove there is a cover up. I amended the first copy to 'secretly' in quotes because I guess most hotels bring bodies out the back door when it happens. All I can say is that the authorities have been repeatedly reluctant to publicly link the deaths and Chiang Mai journalists do not want to go into this. But from my experience in the case of holiday resorts etc owned by influential people there is great resistance to reporting any deaths in hotels, even when the hotel or is clearly not involved. (It puts off Thai/Chinmese tourists etc).

Edited by andrewdrummond

jb1

Such a demand will most certainly be made when the insurance companies get involved.

Hmm, As long as they haven't been cremated first. Which I think is what happened to the folk on Phi-Phi?

jb1

jb1

Hmm, As long as they haven't been cremated first. Which I think is what happened to the folk on Phi-Phi?

jb1

Yeah, fast-track investigation, autopsy, natural cause of death unknown, funeral - case closed and BIB can go back to chasing helmet violators.

jb1

It will take a lot more than that to get the British Embassy involved.

Also one of the victims was Thai that leaves one NZ who I believe are already involved.

Perhaps one could check with them and see what there findings were. As for them doing there own autopsy. I really don't think they are set up for that. They could use another Thai for it. And if they didn't like his results get another one until they get what they wanted. Not going to happen. they may be government employees but they are not completely brain dead.

As a after thought do you suppose a Embassy could do as good a job as a insurance company.

They are a governmental agency.

I didn't mean that your golden boy Abhisit was sat there with his abacus counting tourist arrivals.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Oberkommando

jb1

It will take a lot more than that to get the British Embassy involved.

Also one of the victims was Thai that leaves one NZ who I believe are already involved.

Perhaps one could check with them and see what there findings were. As for them doing there own autopsy. I really don't think they are set up for that. They could use another Thai for it. And if they didn't like his results get another one until they get what they wanted. Not going to happen. they may be government employees but they are not completely brain dead.

As a after thought do you suppose a Embassy could do as good a job as a insurance company.

jayjay0, I understand what you are saying. But yes I would like to think that an Embassy would do a better job than an Insurance company. As an Insurance Company, would be more likely to look at the costs involved and do a deal.

jb1

They are a governmental agency.

I didn't mean that your golden boy Abhisit was sat there with his abacus counting tourist arrivals.

:rolleyes:

Yes, but in Thailand 'government' refers to PM and cabinet,

and ministries refers to permanent bureaus and permanent heads,

as much or more than they temporary cabinet minister.

A bit like The Rt Hon Jim Hacker MP vs Permanent Secretary Sir Humphrey Appleby.

This seems more like a Perm Sec pronouncement as handed to the Minister to send out,

regardless of if he understands it or not... which may be the point.

After all, the powers that be are probably asking themselves the question of why this is mainly happening to farangs and not thais?:unsure:

There are places in Thailand I still will avoid after having lived here for over 25 years. Staying in cheap lodging is one of them. If you want to avoid being stung by hornets, you avoid a hornet nest.

According to NZ media their government is now putting pressure on the Thais through official channels.

Hopefully the British government follows suit.

From New Zealand PA

The father of New Zealand tourist Sarah Carter wants the Thai hotel she stayed in closed and a more thorough investigation carried out into her death.

His comments come after it was revealed there had been three other unexplained deaths of people who stayed in the same Downtown Inn in Chiang Mai, in northern Thailand.

Miss Carter, 23, and her two travelling companions Amanda Eliason, 24, and Emma Langlands, 23, became seriously ill at the hotel in February and Ms Carter died a day later in a Thai hospital. The other two have since recovered.

Early reports suggested that eating toxic seaweed cost Miss Carter her life, but food poisoning tests have proved inconclusive.

It has since been revealed that Thai police were investigating the death of a Thai tour guide staying in the room next to Miss Carter the day before she fell ill, and the deaths of two British tourists who died several days later.

Miss Carter's father Richard Carter, from the southeast Auckland suburb of Howick, said today he didn't agree with claims by the hotel's acting manager Vinai Julsiri that the deaths were a coincidence.

"I think the circumstances indicate that it's beyond coincidence," Mr Carter told NZPA.

"I'd like to see the New Zealand government push the Thai authorities for some answers, and I'd like to see the area of the hotel, if not the whole hotel, off-limits until they can come back with some conclusive results to disprove the theories floating round at the moment."

Mr Carter said his daughter had told him of the Thai woman's death when she rang to tell him of her illness, but he only heard of the English couple's death three days ago.

"I would like to see probably a thorough investigation into the rooms of the hotels because from what I understand one was beside Sarah's room, the other below it. I'd be very wary of anyone staying in or near those rooms, therefore you'd have to assume that if it was related to those rooms," he said.

"It could be anything from ... the air conditioning through to the water they've been given or food they've been served.

"It can't take too much of an investigation to work out some sort of common cause."

Mr Carter said he'd also been told there had been negative toxicology reports from Ms Eliason and Ms Langlands, which he regarded as extraordinary, and that Thai authorities told the young women they would have to pay for further blood tests themselves if they wanted them. if ( 4 < document.dcdAdsI.length ) { document.write('');}

He didn't feel the investigation was adequate and he got the feeling some authorities wanted the case to go away.

"That is the impression that I get when someone tells the very badly affected girls that they'll have to pay for any further blood tests. It doesn't tell me that the Thai authorities are extremely concerned and would like to get it resolved."

Mr Carter added that he hadn't received a report on Sarah's condition from Thailand.

"All I'd like to see is a genuine effort made to investigate the circumstances of their illness."

The Thai woman, 47, was believed to have had an existing medical condition, but police were still waiting the results of a postmortem.

The British couple, believed to be in their 70s, checked in on February 9 and were found dead in their Link:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/4733142/Father-suspicious-after-cluster-of-deaths

Yes, but in Thailand 'government' refers to PM and cabinet,

and ministries refers to permanent bureaus and permanent heads,

as much or more than they temporary cabinet minister.

A bit like The Rt Hon Jim Hacker MP vs Permanent Secretary Sir Humphrey Appleby.

This seems more like a Perm Sec pronouncement as handed to the Minister to send out,

regardless of if he understands it or not... which may be the point.

I let you dig yourself in a bit deeper there. Actually Abhisit said it himself, in this recent comment. From his own mouth, in his own words.

"Last year Thailand received 15.8 million international tourists, generating income of Bt585 million", he (Abhisit) said.

"It was a record number of tourist arrivals, despite the country facing political problems and other negative factors over the past two years," he said.

;)

According to NZ media their government is now putting pressure on the Thais through official channels.

Hopefully the British government follows suit.

Nothing like a bit of levity to help you through the day.

Just learnt that my sister and her husband stayed at the same hotel about 14 months ago whilst on Holiday. Says they woke up with a mother of a headache and found jewerly watch etc camera and cash missing.

One of the New Zealanders "recovered after emergency heart surgery": could there be any clues here?:blink:

Exactly, the NZ girl's death also was apparently related to a heart issue. And now the speculation on the UK couple is that they died of heart attacks?

Whatever it is (if they are all related) seems to be affecting the heart.

There are drugs around that work on stopping the heart. And unless they are target tested they will not show up in any pathology. In the wrong hands they would indeed be deadly. The BIB would do well to thoroughly canvas the entire hotel staff instead of conduct ing their current revenue raising campaign.

"Toxic seaweed,Simultainious heart attacks and existing medical conditions" my ar$&.

Just learnt that my sister and her husband stayed at the same hotel about 14 months ago whilst on Holiday. Says they woke up with a mother of a headache and found jewerly watch etc camera and cash missing.

Ahem, I think we have a clue