Thai Id Card

Hi, i was asked by my father in law that they can put me in to the thabian baan or the house registration.. then i can get the thai ID card from the village office in Khon kaen.. i am just confused for this.. but last night i got the list of things to make ready before i go there..

i just wonder this can be possible?

As far as I know, ONLY Thais can have the ID Card, NOT Ferangs.

House registration is another and seperate issue and based on my personal experience the "Yellow" book is easy enough to obtain but only serves as proof of address.

Edited by CharlieH

Unless ONE of your parents are Thai, you (as a foreigner) can't get a Thai I/D card without the Permanent Resident thing and then after that Thai citizenship. And you can count on ONE hand the number of foreigners each year who jump thru those hoops, and you'll still have fingers left over!!

If you can, get on the Yellow "Taa Bien Baan" (or spell it in engrish how ever you want to) but in Thai it's spelled like this ทะเบียนบ้าน and then yellow is สีเหลือง, my advice is TAKE it!

Still, with ANY type of Non-Immigrant Visa you can get a Thai driver's license and it looks a LOT like the new Thai I/D (Smart) card. .. Going one almost 6 years here, I've NEVER been asked to show my passport, EVER after showing my Thai D/L. .. Then again I rarely run amok with the Thai Police.

The last time was when I was checking IF the Thai Police at the Ekami bus station in Bangkok were targeting foreigners more than Thais.

YES FWIW; they were (by a factor of about 100!). After taking a LOT of pix, when the Police out there asked for my passport I showed them my 5 year Thai D/L and they only said, “You can’t take a picture here”!

Your mileage may indeed vary!

As an aside; I HAVE seen half thai children listed in the BLUE book, but never ever seen a foreigner who hasn’t “hooped jumped” get on that one!

Let us know how it pans out for you, huh?

They probably said it to you because that's what they do to get their ID cards.

There's no reason why Thai people would normally be aware of the laws/rules pertaining to foreigners as they have no need to know and probably rarely come across them.

My soon-to-be-brother-in-law just had to do some hoop-jumping of his own, in order to get his ID card, he was travelling outside of the province he was born and raised in (Chiang Rai) for the first time, well apart from many trips across the river to Laos where his family come from!

Quite a few visits to the local Amphur along with 'upstanding local citizens' were required.

Got it in the end but it wasn't easy. Doubt you'll get one but the House Book thing (blue or yellow) could be worth getting registered on.

Good advice above about the driving licence, get that if you can.

When i went to get a yellow book (first one for the g/f family), i went along with her pops , g/f and me.....the gave him a short interview in private about our relationship, eg, how long together (4yrs), do we get on etc..pops left..

Next up, me and the g/f, two or three questions later, we were issued with the yellow book.......but the best laugh was when they stood me in front off a camera and i piped up and said what for...their answear, photo for ID card sir....i nearly let them go ahead but i stopped them as i know if i had one, it would be wrong and unlawfull to have one...but they said they didn`t agree but stopped anyway....banork amphur offcourse

Edited by rizla

Simple answer No . You have to be a Thai born in Thailand , I say Thai because you can be born in Thailand to Burmese/Cambodian parents , or other nationals and still not be classed as Thai

Edited by Thongkorn

Simple answer No . You have to be a Thai born in Thailand , I say Thai because you can be born in Thailand to Burmese/Cambodian parents , or other nationals and still not be classed as Thai

You don't have to be Thai - you have to be a citizen. At least two of the farang posters on Thaivisa are citizens and have ID cards.

You don't have to be Thai - you have to be a citizen. At least two of the farang posters on Thaivisa are citizens and have ID cards.

You may also be a Thai born overseas .... (still a citizen)

things are very confusing when reading the posts here and the voices i hear on the phone. from the phone they are asking me to translate my passport to thai through embassy and visit the village office on monday to get me in to the blue house registration book...i asked my wife how do u get the ID when there are 100s of farangs say in this website it isnt possible.. she answered me its under table tips allow the manager of the village let me have a ID..

my next question is.. in this way if i get the ID will be unlawful? against law and any problem?

btw.. i have my thai D/L already which is just 3 months old...

things are very confusing when reading the posts here and the voices i hear on the phone. from the phone they are asking me to translate my passport to thai through embassy and visit the village office on monday to get me in to the blue house registration book...i asked my wife how do u get the ID when there are 100s of farangs say in this website it isnt possible.. she answered me its under table tips allow the manager of the village let me have a ID..

my next question is.. in this way if i get the ID will be unlawful? against law and any problem?

btw.. i have my thai D/L already which is just 3 months old...

If they reckon they can get you one, go for it. Problems? I would think that depends where you show it, and to whom!

If it's just to get in the national park or hire a motorbike, then probably not.

If you were, for some unfortunate reason, arrested say, 500kms away from your house, then I'd probably throw it away if I were you, not sure, I mean if you look like you could be thai or half-thai and can speak the language well, then you might get away with it, I mean if it's been issued correctly then you're on the computer system as a Thai citizen which, I think, may take a little more than a few baht under the table at the local Amphur.

Maybe they'll just put you on the Tabien Baan?

let us know how it goes, if you can get one, can you get me one too? :)

That's the right question. Why would you need it? Use your passport. Get a Thai DL.

Exactly. You can obtain a Thai drivers licence (small plastic card) legally, and use it as an ID. It is accepted everywhere, like at the bank withdrawing money. Every time I am requested to show my passport, I ask if a drivers licence is also acceptable, and it always is. Only exception would be dealings with government institutions, and maybe hotels if the local police has recently requested them to check foreigner's admitted until stamps.

Exactly. You can obtain a Thai drivers licence (small plastic card) legally, and use it as an ID. It is accepted everywhere, like at the bank withdrawing money. Every time I am requested to show my passport, I ask if a drivers licence is also acceptable, and it always is. Only exception would be dealings with government institutions, and maybe hotels if the local police has recently requested them to check foreigner's admitted until stamps.

Hotels must report guests nationality and passport number to immigrations.

On the driving licence the id number is your passport number but does not state nationality.

Look - if they gave you a Thai ID card which is only available to a Thai citizen then you'd be carrying around a fraudulent document.

Think about it, Thailand rightly or wrongly is a highly nationalistic country. One of the few areas it guards rather jealously is its sovereignty.

Sure, someone might be offering you essentially what is deemed as proof of Thai nationality for a few baht. Yes and in most cases people will generally turn a blind eye to corruption, but if sprung (and you will be) then the consequences for holding false Thai ID will probably serious as many others can and will get rather protective about this particular issue.

If all that is happening here is someone is facilitating you getting on the housebook in your current nationality, then fine. Anymore than that, I'd steer clear from it like the plague.