Non-immigrant O Extension/re-entry Permit

Hi all,

Am in the process of getting my wife a non-immigrant O visa here in London, based on her marriage to me – a Thai national.

I have 2 options: Firstly get a single entry ‘O’ visa – for £40, or spend £90 and get a multi entry non-immigrant ‘O’.

My question is, if I have the multi entry ‘O’ visa, and then at the end of the first 3 months get an extension of stay, will she need to get a re-entry permit to go in and out of the country, or does the fact that she will have a multi-entry permit mean that the re-entry permit is ‘built in’ to the visa.

Cheers

Samran.

Samran, are you planning on getting her the one year extension based on being supported by a Thai? If so, and you don't plan on leaving the country, go for the single entry non-O. Then, when you are here both of you go and apply for the extension of stay at immigration. You need to do it around about the end of the 90 days. Then, if you planned on leaving the country she would need a re-entry permit.

Thanks SBK – yes it will be an extension based on a marriage to a Thai.

The problem is we get in at the end of October, and we will be going back to OZ for a week in early January. (ie around the 2.5 month mark). After that we aren’t planning on going anywhere for a bit.

So I guess my question is: if I got a multi entry for her now and extended the visa for her in early January (before the trip to OZ), would she then need a re-entry permit to get back in?

No, she would use the second entry on her return. Then you need to apply for the extension. It usually takes a few months for the extension to come through, I applied beginning of this month, I expect it to come in Nov. So, you would be cutting it really fine if you were waiting for her extension to come before leaving. Your plan seems best, get a multi entry non-O, she comes, spends a couple of months, you leave, you come back, she gets another 90 days then near the end of that, you apply for the extension. When you get to that point feel free to pm me and I will give you all the details.

Once you extend the visa you will need a re-entry permit to keep the extension process alive AFAIK. Your multi entry visa should not be used after an application for one year extension of stay or you go back to square one and have to apply again during the last 30 days of the new 90 day stay.

Lopburi, that is why I suggested using the mutli entry to go to Oz, then applying after they got back here. I think its feasible, don't you?

Guess I did not read your reply close enough - really need new specs - just noted the no to his question of need for re-entry permit and thought you had him apply - go Oz for week and return for final extension.

Yes she can do as you say - use a new entry - but then will (should) wait another two months before application (and maybe have another trip planned). As he seems anxious about the cost the re-entry at 1,000 baht would be a little cheaper than the multi entry visa (50 pounds more).

Thanks Lop,

I'm just not used to having to pay for a Thai visa (lucky me) so am wincing at the price. Fortunately work is covering the cost of my relocation (lucky me again).

I am a little suprised that the extension takes so long as SBK described. What is the turn around time at Suan Phlu?

I did it 3 times and always about 40-45 days. You at told to return on that specific date (get temp extension) so don't know how long it really takes to approve. Some upcountry were reporting much faster times this summer but have not seen any posts recently.

I changed to retirement this year to avoid the extra trip/wait.

Yeah, I do mine out of Samui, it gets sent to Bangkok to be processed. I had thought that it might be immediate in Surat but apparently not, it still gets sent to Bkk. :o Min 2 months here. Hey, I am lucky, when I first started doing it it took 7-8 months, retroactive to the date you apply. 2 months is terrific! Besides, it gets me off the island and it can be fun having a quick shopping trip to Samui.

Well, first step completed! Handed over the £90 for the multi non-immigrant O visa based on marriage this morning at the London embassy. All went smoothly. Guy behind the desk was nice, asked for nothing except my wedding certificate. Took the £90 so I assume that I’ll be getting the visa we need. Pick up the visa next week.

They didn’t seem as bad as all the reports here (if I am not mistaken).

• 5 months later...

BUMP!!!! - Fast forward 5 months.

OK guys (and gals), extension time is near....

I assume I (and the wife) need to provide:

- TM7 Extension form

- My Thai ID card

- My Thai house registration

- Wifes PP

- Photo of wife

- Our marriage certificate. (If this is an Australian one, does it need to be translated and certified?)

Technically, as a male I don't believe I need to provide income/savings requirement (unfair I know). Is this correct? If not, what financial info will I need to supply. Pay slips, Tax statements, bank books?

Cheers guys!

Technically, no but you are required to show copies of your latest tax receipt.

We submit (and you have to resubmit all paperwork each year)

2 copies:

marriage license

all pages of my passport showing thai stamps

his id card

his business license

his tax receipt

photocopies of bank book

house registration

letter from village headman stating we are married and live at our address

There is also an interview at immigration upon application.

I would check with your Immigration office first and see what they want, this is what we provide. There is no income requirement, nor even a minimum amt in the bank but it is best to show that you are capable of taking care of your wife.