Warning To People Thinking About Buying Car In Los

dmax

:lol: I wear sun glasses and use my nose for the mobile :lol: but Warps will say thats not possible :lol: unless your doing a wheely, going backwards wearing a kilt. :lol:

Yep, that's what I'd say, especially since kilts are soooooo popular where I come from :rolleyes:.... Are we talking about bikes now T/A since you couldn't keep up with the automobile conversation? More waffling?

JFYI this debate is not about left foot braking as I do it all the time myself, it's about the safety of the technique for the "AVERAGE driver" let alone the below average driver neither of which I would ever recommend the technique as enough above average drivers have problems with the timing, coordination and pressure required in using your left foot it takes hours of practice to do it properly and still many never develop that skill anymore then every driver is a top footballer..

It was claimed that it was "the safest way to brake" and that is an all encompassing statement not applicable to ALL drivers...

I agree, the safest way for an average driver to brake an auto car, is to use right foot only :)

The safest way to survive Thai traffic is to be extremely alert and train to become better than an average driver :D

A convert! Even it may only be temporary but now we're on the same page..

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drove convoy VIP in tough third world. Fast and furious. With such skills, Thai roads seem quite safe. Every time I am on the road I tend to draw these drivers that want to show off, but after 2 straight hours of intensive driving, they stop to cool off. That I can do until the fuel blinkers come on.

Good dancers make good drivers, its just co ordination. I have seen some serious good Thai drivers. If you want to feel at home on Thai roads, try training on go kart, seriously, if you master go kart racing, you will find driving here fun.

True for autos but not a whole lot of help with manual practice.

I drove convoy VIP in tough third world. Fast and furious. With such skills, Thai roads seem quite safe. Every time I am on the road I tend to draw these drivers that want to show off, but after 2 straight hours of intensive driving, they stop to cool off. That I can do until the fuel blinkers come on.

Good dancers make good drivers, its just co ordination. I have seen some serious good Thai drivers. If you want to feel at home on Thai roads, try training on go kart, seriously, if you master go kart racing, you will find driving here fun.

i cant dance :(

Ah-hah,

:) A car is a machine, the same as any other machine or even a musical instrument, the operator, musician must learn , through a great deal of practice how to master it. For instance, a classical organ player uses two feet and two hands, and read the music ( road ) to achieve the mastery, same with anything else, even a safe drive.. :)

Yes but with that some people just never will become that classical pianist and just end up plonking on the key board so best for them to leave the beautiful music to some one more capable. For the life of me though even were I an average driver I could not consider feeling more comfortable nor leaving that responsibility in someone elses hands let alone a commplete stranger.

So Dmax what to do?? Who do you feel it would be better to place your life and the life of your family in?

Did I mention I might be available for a drivers position :whistling: ...

Yes but with that some people just never will become that classical pianist and just end up plonking on the key board so best for them to leave the beautiful music to some one more capable. For the life of me though even were I an average driver I could not consider feeling more comfortable nor leaving that responsibility in someone else's hands let alone a complete stranger.

So Dmax what to do?? Who do you feel it would be better to place your life and the life of your family in?

Did I mention I might be available for a drivers position :whistling: ...

I already applied but it's a manual trans. :bah:.

Ah yer fecked then, take the bus :lol:

or some dancing lessons! 123, brake 23, 123, turn 23, 123, crash 23 :D

• 2 weeks later...

Must be a troll, how do you get around with your baby and wife if not by driving? Prefer to take the baby on a scooter? And what do you do during the raining season? I've driven in KK for over 6 months and yes sometimes thai drivers do crazy things from the western view but once you learn there patterns you can predict their behavior. Perhaps you are just accident prone.

Hi, I also have a daughter here. I fell much safer with her strapped in the baby seat beside me, then I ever would in "Thai taxis"= rolling death traps. I've had a few accidents here, none too serious "Touch wood", and what has been the other vehicle in all of those accidents "Thai motorbike, car taxis".

Be safe!

Central Thailand to Mai Sot (quite a few rimes).

Central Thailand to Cambodia (quite a few times).

Loadsa trips down to BKK.

Even more trips from Cha-Am to Pattaya & Cambodia.

Heaven knows how many days out trips too.

I've had 2 accidents so far in those 5 years of driving here in LOS and those happened in town. one while my car was stationary at a U turn, waiting for traffic and waiting to turn right. Being hit by a m/c on the drivers side and once by a m/c turning into a one way street into oncoming traffic without looking and driving straight into me Sometimes we cannot avoid accidents, but no-one was hurt and both times they paid for the damage.

Near accidents? They happen all the time, but you avoid those accidents by being observant and understanding the way Thai drivers drive. I was always taught to think of all the other drivers and pedestrians as idiots and to expect the unexpected. That rule definitely applies here in LOS.

Far, far better (as others have said) to drive yourself) because you are in control. You can drive faster or slower depending on the road / weather / traffic conditions at the time. Common sense really though sometime accidents do happen.

I'll continue to drive myself thanks rather than give up and i expect to be a lot safer.