Warning To People Thinking About Buying Car In Los

dmax

One derogatory post and reply removed.

8) Not to post extremely negative views of Thailand or derogatory comments directed towards all Thais.

Difficult when it is driving related.

This is where forum rules prevent 'honest' comment about Thai driving standards.

This post is not a comment about moderation so do not delete - it is a comment about Thai driving standards generally being substandard vis-a-vis their own laws and codes.

Edited by cardholder

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I drive up to Isan from Pattaya app 3-4 times a year and I think they are driving nicely up there compared to Sukhumvit in Pattaya where all especially cars with BKK plates are going like on a bloody F1 track. Up in Isan they seldom go over 110 km/h which is next to nothing compared to Sukhumvit.

Let's look at the very simple mathematics here.....

He bought his car 6 months ago and every time he drives up to Isaan he has at least 4 - 6 accidents. So, he must have made that journey at least twice...... not counting return trips. Therefore he has had "at least" 12 accidents in 6 months! If he is not counting the two people who have "run into" then that makes 14 accidents in 6 months!!!

Waking up in Pattaya to see some impact damage to his car does not count as a trip to Isaan. If all of this is true then he is right in saying "people over here are careless"........... but he should turn his pointing finger to himself.

....... and YES, I need a car here. I have had the need for 19 years with no more than a single parking scratch to my car and dozens of trips to darkest Isaan with nary a knock.

The OP said "near accidents"... I guess that's all I'm able to do is point out other misinterpretations and not really offer any opinions in any other format as it's too subject to deletion and not worth wasting the time :rolleyes: .

Edited by WarpSpeed

the car is on thai visa classifieds , mitsu triton 2.5 doublecab rear wheel drive, 4 door, 140 k ...450,000 baht or near .

so all those who say they have been driving in thailand for years and have had no near serious accidents i say bullsht !!! to you , you all know what the driving standards are like over here so do not fill these posts with your lying hypocritical drivel jerk.gif

i have a 20 mth old child to think about , not to mention the money ive payed out to fix body work !!

ive never had an accident in uk !!!

the car is on thai visa classifieds , mitsu triton 2.5 doublecab rear wheel drive, 4 door, 140 k ...450,000 baht or near .

so all those who say they have been driving in thailand for years and have had no near serious accidents i say bullsht !!! to you , you all know what the driving standards are like over here so do not fill these posts with your lying hypocritical drivel jerk.gif

i have a 20 mth old child to think about , not to mention the money ive payed out to fix body work !!

I might simply suggest that if YOUR personal experiences vary wildly from the norm, then perhaps you are the issue. The idea that you (from your viewpoint) will be safer letting a stranger drive you around doesn't fit with your viewpoint about Thai drivers.

So how are you going to be getting about from now on? And will you be changing your user name to reflect this new mode of transport?

I might simply suggest that if YOUR personal experiences vary wildly from the norm, then perhaps you are the issue. The idea that you (from your viewpoint) will be safer letting a stranger drive you around doesn't fit with your viewpoint about Thai drivers.

Yes it does seem a bit contradictory and not well thought out, politely stated. I purchased a car specifically for the purpose of a safer ride and personal convenience when my children were born also due to the masses of necessities you have to carry with a baby, my driving plus other safety precautions like seat belts and a child carrier, later to be used for a child seat, not only impossible to carry conveniently but have fun trying to find taxi's who have belts or it just isn't stuffed behind the seat with all sorts of unsanitary nasties coated on the buckles :bah: ..Logic is failing IMO...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Warp ---

Don't get me wrong. I do think being on the road in Thailand is less safe than being on the road in many other places (and safer than some), The basic fact for me is that you must adjust to the road factors wherever you go. If you can't adjust then you are creating additional risk yourself. I honestly don't like driving the Jazz around BKK, not for fear of my safety or that of my passengers, but just due to the increased risk of killing some idiot on a motorcycle. Therefore, I prefer to be the idiot on the motorcycle!

Some people have issues adjusting and some don't. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody! What is surprising is that someone that fails to adjust thinks that those that do adjust must be liars.

Warp ---

Don't get me wrong. I do think being on the road in Thailand is less safe than being on the road in many other places (and safer than some), The basic fact for me is that you must adjust to the road factors wherever you go. If you can't adjust then you are creating additional risk yourself. I honestly don't like driving the Jazz around BKK, not for fear of my safety or that of my passengers, but just due to the increased risk of killing some idiot on a motorcycle. Therefore, I prefer to be the idiot on the motorcycle!

Some people have issues adjusting and some don't. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody! What is surprising is that someone that fails to adjust thinks that those that do adjust must be liars.

I mostly agree with you, save for the fact that I don't wish to be either the fly nor the windshield and do EVERYTHING to avoid being either. But if I have to choose I'd always choose to be the windshield so I don't agree with you choosing to be the fly, but hey! It's your world..

As I said in my first post I have as many close incidents in a single day on a drive downtown on any given day from the burbs of Bangkok as the OP mentioned, I didn't dismiss the real obstacles out there, so you just have to go with the flow. What doesn't kill you just makes you stronger and I dare say more experienced but I'll still never be able to take comfort in putting mine and my families safety in someone elses hands when I can do so myself...

Edited by WarpSpeed

Well, I think you should adapt yourself to the the driving conditions in Thailand, AKA idiot drivers. And you will be fine. :)

Why care about an "idiot" motorcycle driver? I dont really care that much, first class insurance and all will be fine... haha. Own fault when some idiot wants to get himself killed by me i guess.... For example, tonite i almost killed some drunk dude on a motorcycle, driving without lights on and went like 35kmh, i went around 70kmh and there were no streetlights lol, i mean... Come on? This is crazy... I breaked immediately but if i did hit him i only complain about going to garage to fix my ride and all the paperwork i presume from the police and insurance and being late for dinner...

Welcome in thailand, the #1 country with most traffic deaths in the world per year :D

I would also like to add my own warning . . . to people thinking of buying a kettle. I have a new model Philips electric kettle. Twice in the past week i have come close to severely burning my hand when pouring water into a tea cup after being distracted by a bloody Thai.

I can only conclude Thailand is not a safe place to own a kettle owners. Do not buy one ( Unless you want to buy mine which is going cheap.)

bullst**rs and negetive comments tut tut bah.gif most of you know that driving in thailand is far more hazardous that in uk or europe !! when last in khon kean in december there were 2 people lying at the roadside in body bags. 3 weeks ago outside the villiage a guy was killed we seen that one too .. i see at least 1 bad accident everytime im driving up to isaan. i do not drive over 120 kph while i have my kid in the car. last time im in isaan some idiot in a lorry/ tuk tuk overloaded with sugar pulls out in front of me on a country rd ( no street lighting ) no lights on his lorry /tuk tuk only i was going slower than usual i would of been right into him, yesterday some clown ( farang not thai ) near runs into me at speed on a motor bike at the crossroads between soi bukeaw and soi diana ( you all know what this crossroads is like) probably pis**d . most cars have no m.o.t and you have all seen the bangers witth no brake lights etc.

as i say ive got a young baby to think about .

Dmax --- it still begs the question. How exactly will you travel from place to place and will that be safer than you doing the driving?

I agree that you probably shouldn't drive in Thailand. I do not agree that other people shouldn't :)

bullst**rs and negetive comments tut tut bah.gif most of you know that driving in thailand is far more hazardous that in uk or europe !! when last in khon kean in december there were 2 people lying at the roadside in body bags. 3 weeks ago outside the villiage a guy was killed we seen that one too .. i see at least 1 bad accident everytime im driving up to isaan. i do not drive over 120 kph while i have my kid in the car. last time im in isaan some idiot in a lorry/ tuk tuk overloaded with sugar pulls out in front of me on a country rd ( no street lighting ) no lights on his lorry /tuk tuk only i was going slower than usual i would of been right into him, yesterday some clown ( farang not thai ) near runs into me at speed on a motor bike at the crossroads between soi bukeaw and soi diana ( you all know what this crossroads is like) probably pis**d . most cars have no m.o.t and you have all seen the bangers witth no brake lights etc.

Such is life chum, we all know the driving pitfalls in LOS and drive accordingly, no relaxation behind the wheel here, but that's one of the things one must think about if you want a life in LOS. It's not going to change in our lifetime.

You must remember that in your own ride YOU are in control, where with public transport of any kind the driver is perhaps one of these knutters you are referring too to take care of your family :unsure:, Soooooo, you must remain in control of their destiny. :)

Such is life chum, we all know the driving pitfalls in LOS and drive accordingly, no relaxation behind the wheel here, but that's one of the things one must think about if you want a life in LOS. It's not going to change in our lifetime.

You must remember that in your own ride YOU are in control, where with public transport of any kind the driver is perhaps one of these knutters you are referring too to take care of your family :unsure:, Soooooo, you must remain in control of their destiny. :)

yepp, LOS traffic is dangerous, and that is why I prefere to drive myself in my own car.

I know how to ditch when crashing seems unavoidable.

I know the qualities and limits of my car :)

My own outlook.

I would never drive a manual shift ride in LOS. With the auto, 99% of the time my left foot is covering the brake pedal, in fact l brake with the left foot all the time. With a manual, moving your foot from go to stop pedal takes '' time ''.

Perhaps sounds daft but l know on various occasions l might have been in trouble with manual trans. :)

My own outlook.

I would never drive a manual shift ride in LOS. With the auto, 99% of the time my left foot is covering the brake pedal, in fact l brake with the left foot all the time. With a manual, moving your foot from go to stop pedal takes '' time ''.

Perhaps sounds daft but l know on various occasions l might have been in trouble with manual trans. :)

Oh! So you're that silly plonker driving in front of me with your brake lights on all the time..

Doing so makes it possible for you to keep pressing the accelerator while also pressing the brake especially in panic braking situations.

That can't happen with a manual and actually I heal and toe all the time which also adds the engine to my braking distance so I don't have your delay worries in reaction moving from accelerator to brake, besides doing so often keeps you in practice and as such I guarantee I can react quicker then the average or even above average automatic driver..

exactly transam i know what your saying, it only takes 1 time , and ive had enough near misses ( through absolutely no fault of my own ), i just cant risk that with my kid but some people cant understand that on here.

enough said.

My own outlook.

Oh! So you're that silly plonker driving in front of me with your brake lights on all the time..

Doing so makes it possible for you to keep pressing the accelerator while also pressing the brake especially in panic braking situations.

That can't happen with a manual and actually I heal and toe all the time which also adds the engine to my braking distance so I don't have your delay worries in reaction moving from accelerator to brake, besides doing so often keeps you in practice and as such I guarantee I can react quicker then the average or even above average automatic driver..

Wake up Warps, l said COVER the brake not rest foot on brake. :rolleyes: God it's difficult some times.

Heel and toe, you think the average driver uses heel and toe, NO, race car stuff.

Re-cap, auto, two pedals, l have two feet,......................... manual, THREE pedals but l still have two feet, easy really. :D

My own outlook.

Wake up Warps, l said COVER the brake not rest foot on brake. :rolleyes: God it's difficult some times.

Heel and toe, you think the average driver uses heel and toe, NO, race car stuff.

Re-cap, auto, two pedals, l have two feet,......................... manual, THREE pedals but l still have two feet, easy really. :D

FRom earlier posts of you I thought that you had experience with car driving.I clearly was mistaken if I read now that you use two feet to drive a car with automatic transmission.Most dangerous situation I can think about as Warpspeed already pointed out.

My own outlook.

I can relate it is VERY difficult most times... Cover the peddle? So you hold your foot over the brake peddle the entire time you drive without resting it somewhere?? Highly doubtful, you are aware how little pressure the peddle actually requires to activate the brake lights correct? It is far less then actually depressing the brakes...

I know it's race stuff (actually not, just top driving technique) but you made a blanket comparison about "driving a manual in LOS" versus an automatic and I challenged it's validity..

Edited by WarpSpeed

My own outlook.

FRom earlier posts of you I thought that you had experience with car driving.I clearly was mistaken if I read now that you use two feet to drive a car with automatic transmission.Most dangerous situation I can think about as Warpspeed already pointed out.

Clearly you don't understand my reasons so l will try again.

From my drag racing days with autos two feet were used. No trans brake, so, Hold the car on the line with the left foot (brake), bring revs up to near stall speed on the right foot, light turns green, release brake and floor it. TWO FEET. Same on the road, two pedals, two feet. SAVES TIME.

Do you eat your dinner with two hands or one ? Oooooooops, forgot, most yanks eat with one, sorry.

PS. Why do American cars have a huge brake pedal ? Will tell you. So you can use either feet to brake or both, or if the ride has a foot parking brake you can swop feet on release.

My way of driving for sure is the safest, proved it time and again on the road. :)

Lastly, what is dangerous about using two feet on two pedals ? I use two hands to fire a pistol, but could use one, I use two hands to eat a hamburger but could use one. :rolleyes: My bike has two pedals, you guessed it, one for each foot. :D

Edited by transam

My own outlook.

I can relate it is VERY difficult most times... Cover the peddle? So you hold your foot over the brake peddle the entire time you drive without resting it somewhere?? Highly doubtful, you are aware how little pressure the peddle actually requires to activate the brake lights correct? It is far less then actually depressing the brakes...

I know it's race stuff (actually not, just top driving technique) but you made a blanket comparison about "driving a manual in LOS" versus an automatic and I challenged it's validity..

When l am in town yes l cover the pedal, on a motor way, no, but seldom go on motor ways.

You can challenge the validity of my statement as much as you like but l do not care one iota cos it works for me, 100%. :)

Lastly, what is dangerous about using two feet on two pedals ? I use two hands to fire a pistol, but could use one, I use two hands to eat a hamburger but could use one. :rolleyes:

As Warpspeed pointed out already.When you have to make an emergency brake your whole body will move forward.If you brake with your left foot,your right foot is still on the throttle at that time so you will floor the pedal with your body weight which makes the car accelerating at the same time that you are braking, which in turn will reduce the efficiency of your braking.