Bangkok Siam Square Vendors Fight Chula's Plant Pot Project

webfact

Under Thai business law there is no such thing as "food hawker", "street vendor", "push cart operator", etc. That means no legal business registration so no protections under law ... also no collected legal fees, taxes etc. Leasing/sub-leasing property also requires licensing and payment of rental taxes, but of course the businesses don't exist so why bother to register the leases and pay the proper taxes ... or declare the income and pay the taxes.

If all businesses were properly registered and taxed accordingly, the coffers would be overflowing with resources to solve the issues of poverty.

Not correct, you can pay tax for your food cart or street vendor place. Infact, there was many instances where expats with wifes made a point of paying all the fees and taxes before when the extension-limit of 40k per month was 'for the family', not only the husband (expat).

Sunbelt can give you more info if you need help paying the taxes.

Yea i said the same thing. However in this country i cant fault them for not paying taxes as so much of the tax money is defrauded by the government officials and everyone is avoiding to pay tax.

But to say its not possible is just not true.

Some of you are missing the point. It is private property and it is not a public area. The land belongs to the University, as per the land deeds. How would you feel if someone started selling goods on your front walk blocking your entry and exit. The university is attempting to make the area more liveable and to ensure that there is safe ingress and egress. Why is it alright for a group of profiteers to squat on someone else's land, especially if the landowner is trying to improve the land?? The merchants have been given an alternative area but want to sell in the contested area. The merchants have not been stopped form selling their counterfeit and shoddy merchandise, nor has the university demanded bribes from them.

The Thais who want to make the country a better place certainly can't win with some of the Thai Visa crowd.

I think the point is that street vendors/hawkers/push-cart operators are a part of Thai life and Thai culture. A part of Bangkok, the identity of the city and city life. They should be protected as a cultural heritage rather then being chased away. Why turn the city into a replica of other western cities with dull, grey, "clean" and dead sidewalks? Because you personally (just like many foreigners), are disturbed by it?

You say the owner is trying to "improve the land" and make it "more liveable". Asif the universal definition of these terms is "a street without street vendors"... Not for me it isn't. Besides, I would not jump to the conclusion that the majority of Thai people feels they are a nuisance and have to leave.

And about the argument of private landownership, well the sidewalks should not be privately owned in the first place. If the sidewalks are not public, then what public places are there?

Some of you are missing the point. It is private property and it is not a public area. The land belongs to the University, as per the land deeds. How would you feel if someone started selling goods on your front walk blocking your entry and exit. The university is attempting to make the area more liveable and to ensure that there is safe ingress and egress. Why is it alright for a group of profiteers to squat on someone else's land, especially if the landowner is trying to improve the land?? The merchants have been given an alternative area but want to sell in the contested area. The merchants have not been stopped form selling their counterfeit and shoddy merchandise, nor has the university demanded bribes from them.

The Thais who want to make the country a better place certainly can't win with some of the Thai Visa crowd.

I think the point is that street vendors/hawkers/push-cart operators are a part of Thai life and Thai culture. A part of Bangkok, the identity of the city and city life. They should be protected as a cultural heritage rather then being chased away. Why turn the city into a replica of other western cities with dull, grey, "clean" and dead sidewalks? Because you personally (just like many foreigners), are disturbed by it?

You say the owner is trying to "improve the land" and make it "more liveable". Asif the universal definition of these terms is "a street without street vendors"... Not for me it isn't. Besides, I would not jump to the conclusion that the majority of Thai people feels they are a nuisance and have to leave.

And about the argument of private landownership, well the sidewalks should not be privately owned in the first place. If the sidewalks are not public, then what public places are there?

There is nothing related to Thai culture regarding street vendors or cheap knockoffs.

Your line 'protected as a cultural heritage' is a laugh and an insult to any normal Thai people.

And there are many streets and sidewalks that is private property in Bangkok. One way to get a street yourself to decide over is to buy land and make a street...

Edited by TAWP

the stands for the flowers are back in place...now with rods driven into the pavement and soldered to the stands....

this wont do much to reduce foot traffic congestion as the stands take up over 50% of the sidewalk space, and in some places reduce it to little more than 2 meters....

the stands for the flowers are back in place...now with rods driven into the pavement and soldered to the stands....

this wont do much to reduce foot traffic congestion as the stands take up over 50% of the sidewalk space, and in some places reduce it to little more than 2 meters....

Some places (for example the corner opposite MBK) there is probably less than 1/2 meter to walk on and now the vendors just hang their wares over the flowers making it almost impossible to get through in places.

Amusing Thailand

• 1 year later...

I agree. Let them start another citizens revolt, same as Egypt and Libya.

The citizens in Egypt and Libya were protesting because they weren't allowed to set up their stalls?

Errr! i did'nt realise that .rolleyes.gif

How many of them actually have vendor permits to operate a stall? And if they do, how many actually pay their taxes? Methinks the answer to both questions is ZERO!

There was a similar situation in the Jomtien area several years ago where vendors had set up in a median area of one of the sois totally blocking anyone's ability to park near their hotel or guesthouse. Many of the hotel owners got together and made arrangements. then next morning around oh dark hundred, the bulldozers came through and that was the end of it. The same should happen with the street vendors here in BKK too.

Of course it's "zero" ... there is no such business category/designation ... no such taxation. Most would rather pay such registration and taxes because it would be much more benefit to them than the protection money they have to pay now. As long as corruption is allowed to continue funneling up and down through officialdom the people (ALL of them/us) will continue to be exploited.

55555 biggrin.gif

Of course they can pay tax, take it from an accountant. Its easy enough, but they only have to pay tax if the make more as a certain amount i believe its 150.000 a year. Above that they pay 10% up to 500.000 and more if they exceed that amount. So they can pay tax. Also why would they not be able to get a license.. they would have to pay but could get it. You should get your facts straight.

Hey! "get your facts straight", how can you get a license for something that does not even exist. We have already been told that there is no such a registered business as a "licensed street vendor" is this correct or not ?

But it might work and the vendors will have to relocate to the areas offered. Thats fair is'nt it !

Now then, if these vendors have been paying for their site for years, how come the owners of the land are not getting paid those fees. And who has been pocketing it ? Could this happen in Thailand . ermm.gif

Hey! "get your facts straight", how can you get a license for something that does not even exist. We have already been told that there is no such a registered business as a "licensed street vendor" is this correct or not ?

Not correct.

I agree. Let them start another citizens revolt, same as Egypt and Libya.

The citizens in Egypt and Libya were protesting because they weren't allowed to set up their stalls?

Errr! i did'nt realise that .rolleyes.gif

I didn't either ... that's why I asked .... more than 12 months ago!!! Why did you drag this out?