Please Critique My Exercise Regime

MTS1978

If all the diet suggestions sound a bit much then I recommend you use the blood type diet.

It will have a list of foods suitable for your blood type and you can work from there.

Many people have had exceptional results with the blood type diet.

On balance you are a lot better off going for pre-breakfast, with a day-time session at the weekends (and take one day off a week). Getting up early may also limit the evenings out, and just cutting out the booze will probably have more effect on your wobbly bits than trying to stick to a perfect diet.

I have to agree with this 100%. Alcohol is 7 calories per gram. Say a 600ml bottle of beer has 5% alcohol. That is 30 grams that is 210 calories. This is just the alcohol not the other stuff in the beer. So if you take 5 bottles of beer you have already consumed 75% of your daily need for calories.

I am too lazy now to quote and argue with other posters so I will just add my 10 cents. ;)

BMI is not the same as body fat % and is useless/wrong if you are a fit person or a bodybuilder. If I would plug my digits in the BMI formula, I would be in a serious health risk. I am 32, my hight is 179 cm and weight is 92 kg with bodyfat in the lower 10s. When I was doing mediacal check up for my work a few years back, a Thai doctor told me that I am overweight and need to loose a lot, I just laughed in her face and said I am trying to put on more, she shut up and didn't said another word.B)

When loosing fat it all comes to calories in, calories out. If you consume more than you use, you will not lose anything. You have to use (burn) more calories than you consume. Don't just try to starve yourself - if won't work. Adjust your diet instead, drop off all the foods with empty calories: alcohol and sugar - they are nothing but pure calories with zero nutrients. Like Robblock mentioned if you get loaded with beer or any other booze, you probably consumed most of your daily calories intake in the course of few hrs. Beside the booze you still have to eat so your total daily calories intake would be x2 or more of what you need.

Consume less carbs and more protein.

Even 15min of weight training is good for building muscles (more is better though) and don't believe anyone who says otherwise. More muscles mean higher metabolism. With more muscles you will burn more calories during the day even when you sleep.

On the other hand, 15 min of cardio will do fuc_k all for you.

Every time you start your cardio exercise, you would initially burn glycogens stored in your muscles for the first 10-15 min and only AFTER the glycogen stores are depleted, your budy will start burning fat to fuel your exercise. It is always better to do cardio in the morning or after the weight training when your glycogen is already low.

Here is some quotas from one smart book I have in my posession:

Any time of day that suits your schedule is a good time for cardio. The important thing is that you just do it. However, many bodybuilders and fitness models believe that early morning fasted cardio burns more body fat. Although this is still controversial, the evidence is strong and there are many reasons to consider doing cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. The argument in favor of fasted early morning cardio goes something like this:

1. After an overnight 8-12 hour fast, your body's stores of glycogen are depleted and you burn more fat when glycogen is low.

2. Eating causes a release of insulin. Insulin interferes with the mobilization of body fat. Less insulin is present in the morning; so more body fat is burned when cardio is done in the morning.

3. There is less carbohydrate (glucose) in the bloodstream when you wake up after an overnight fast. With less glucose available, you burn more fat.

4. If you eat immediately before a workout, you have to burn off what you just ate first before tapping into stored body fat (and insulin is elevated after a meal.)

5. When you do cardio in the morning, your metabolism stays elevated for a period of time after the workout is over. If you do cardio in the evening, you burn calories during the session, but you fail to take advantage of the "afterburn" effect because your metabolic rate drops dramatically as soon as you go to sleep.

6. Morning cardio gives you a feeling of accomplishment and makes you feel great all day by releasing mood-enhancing endorphins.

7. Morning cardio "energizes" you and "wakes you up."

8. Morning cardio may help regulate your appetite for the rest of the day.

9. Your body's circadian rhythm adjusts to your morning routine, making it easier to wake up at the same time every day.

10. You'll be less likely to "blow off" your workout when it's out of the way early (like when you're exhausted after work or when friends ask you to join them at the pub for happy hour).

11. You can always "make time" for exercise by setting your alarm earlier in the morning.

Edited by Shurup

You're still very young, and thus your metabolism is fast and responsive.

Bite the bullet, stop drinking for a set period: let's say, 6 weeks.

During those 6 weeks, do some REGULAR routine of moderate exercise. I recommend walking 4 miles a day at a healthy pace.

I guarantee (unless you're eating cheeseburgers everyday...for chrissakes, eat THAI food, you're in Thailand!!) that at the end of that six weeks you will have lost 20-35 pounds. End of story.

You're still very young, and thus your metabolism is fast and responsive.

Bite the bullet, stop drinking for a set period: let's say, 6 weeks.

During those 6 weeks, do some REGULAR routine of moderate exercise. I recommend walking 4 miles a day at a healthy pace.

I guarantee (unless you're eating cheeseburgers everyday...for chrissakes, eat THAI food, you're in Thailand!!) that at the end of that six weeks you will have lost 20-35 pounds. End of story.

Sorry but i really have to laugh about this statement. You would real lucky if you loose 2 lbs a week. You are talking about 3 to 4 lbs a week. I have yet to see someone loose that much in a week unless they are really overweight and made some radical changes.

Plus eating Thai food isnt healthy at all. Cheese burgers are also not healthy but you can get some food that is healthy. Like oatmeal and if you have to eat Thai food order steamed chicken. In most other dishes there are loads of MSG and sugars.

Edited by robblok

Hi All,

Thanks again for all the replies.

Since my last post, I have:

• Stepped up the cardio (slowly) and now manage about 2.6-2.8 km in about 22 mins - not every day, but literally as often as possible.
  • Continued with the crunchs, press ups, etc.
  • Slowly cutting down on portion sizes. Its difficult to find other things to eat - I have a healty apetite and am not shy to diversifiy ...... but in the absence of choise, cutting down is the next best thing.
  • Tried to stay out of the pub, but had to go twice fo unavoidable work related engagements.

So, I am down about 1.5kg or so in a week - which I am quite pleased with considering the relaitvely small changes I have made, and the 2 trips to the pub in 1 week. I have one more function this week, another at the end of next, but apart from that I am clear...... so by continuing to step up my excercise routine, and ocntinuing to improve my food intake (in terms of substance and quantity) then I am hopeful to continue to see gradual and sustainable results.

The one concern that has just come to me is that if I loose 5-10kgs over say the next 3-6 months..... will I be left with an apron of loose skin hanging down over my belt line? If so, is there anything I can do to avoid this...... that would be even more disgusting than m'boobs and beer belly. To stress - 6 PACK ABS ARE NEITHER AN EXPECTATION OR OBJECTIVE.

By the way - someone posted about not eating cheese burgers and to eat Thai.......... I do eat Thai and have done for a long time.

Thanks,

MTS

Hi All,

Thanks again for all the replies.

Since my last post, I have:

• Stepped up the cardio (slowly) and now manage about 2.6-2.8 km in about 22 mins - not every day, but literally as often as possible.
  • Continued with the crunchs, press ups, etc.
  • Slowly cutting down on portion sizes. Its difficult to find other things to eat - I have a healty apetite and am not shy to diversifiy ...... but in the absence of choise, cutting down is the next best thing.
  • Tried to stay out of the pub, but had to go twice fo unavoidable work related engagements.

So, I am down about 1.5kg or so in a week - which I am quite pleased with considering the relaitvely small changes I have made, and the 2 trips to the pub in 1 week. I have one more function this week, another at the end of next, but apart from that I am clear...... so by continuing to step up my excercise routine, and ocntinuing to improve my food intake (in terms of substance and quantity) then I am hopeful to continue to see gradual and sustainable results.

The one concern that has just come to me is that if I loose 5-10kgs over say the next 3-6 months..... will I be left with an apron of loose skin hanging down over my belt line? If so, is there anything I can do to avoid this...... that would be even more disgusting than m'boobs and beer belly. To stress - 6 PACK ABS ARE NEITHER AN EXPECTATION OR OBJECTIVE.

By the way - someone posted about not eating cheese burgers and to eat Thai.......... I do eat Thai and have done for a long time.

Thanks,

MTS

That's good, but don't expect to keep loosing the weight with the same rate, I bet the most of what you lost was poop and subcutaneous water, alcohol does make some people bloat and retain fluid.

Advise: whenever you have to go to the bar, don't drink beer ( I know it tastes good especially in a hot day), and don't mix hard liquor with sugarry drinks like orange juice or pop drinks. Sugar and alcohol is the worst combination.

When I drink, I either drink Vodka on the rocks or Whiskey and soda. Water from ice or soda delute the taste of the hard liquor and keep you hydrated helping avoiding the headache in the morning.

Thanks,

MTS

5 to 10 kg is nothing dont worry about skin if we were talking 20+ kg even then in 6 months it would probably be ok. Might be different if you lost 20kg in 3 months.

Like i said before try the steamed chicken its one of the better alternatives. You see kaew man kai stores all over.

I saw a post saying a lot of Thai food has MSG and sugars but that is easily remedied by ordering without those additives. The boiled chicken, khao man gai, is a good option. Does anyone have any other good healthy options? If i eat noodles i always order them dry, without soup and tell them not to add any MSG too.

I saw a post saying a lot of Thai food has MSG and sugars but that is easily remedied by ordering without those additives. The boiled chicken, khao man gai, is a good option. Does anyone have any other good healthy options? If i eat noodles i always order them dry, without soup and tell them not to add any MSG too.

:D I speak ok Thai and the local restaurant knows me. I used to say please no sugar and msg (in thai of course) and how many times they just forgot not to put it in. Just happened to much because they work on automatic. Just imagine doing that in a restaurant you dont frequent every day the chances of getting the right stuff is even lower. You know how Thais love to please but just do it the way they are used to.. so dont get your hopes up.

I just make my own food and when i go out eating i accept that those things will be in it but i almost never eat out anymore.

:D I speak ok Thai and the local restaurant knows me. I used to say please no sugar and msg (in thai of course) and how many times they just forgot not to put it in. Just happened to much because they work on automatic. Just imagine doing that in a restaurant you dont frequent every day the chances of getting the right stuff is even lower. You know how Thais love to please but just do it the way they are used to.. so dont get your hopes up.

I just make my own food and when i go out eating i accept that those things will be in it but i almost never eat out anymore.

Yes you're right, but just like other parts of your routine you've gotta stay positive about it :)

I'm lucky actually because i stay in a small town with small food shops so they get to know. That doesn't mean i don't say it every time i order though, because they will forget lol

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of "not eating out"..... and working in an office with 200+ people and one small pantry / fridge, bringing in my own "packed lunch" ain't an option either really..... it would probably be warm and rotten by the time I got it to the office anyway!

Khao man gai is a great dish - however it seems quite oily to me? Particularly the oily rish thats cooked with chicken broth. Its really tasty though. But ordering just the chicken? So what do you say? gai mai ow khao, sai pak dwai? Something like that??? :) ......... see, I'd need the whole breat and half a cucumber and half a head of lettuce / cabbage to satisfy me.

I'm assuming noodles are one of the worse things a fella could order? The couple of places that I frequent just put the boiled noodles in a bowl, add whatever meats you want and crispy garlic, then with or without water...... and you add the falvour yourself from the krung broom...... should I assume there has been 20 tonnes of msg and sugar added? If no msg and sugar, then is that a reasonably healthy lunch?

The rate of weight loss......... well the law of deminishing returns applies - I'm aware and prepared for it. I know some people get on the scales once a week..... but I do it daily. I expect to see myself go up and down a few hundred grammes...... I expect to see 85.0 - 84.6 - 84.7 - 84.3 - 84.0 - 83.4 - 83.8...... a downward trend...... I don't get excited when I dip alot nor do I get disheartened when it spikes a bit...... but I find it good to keep track, and generally when Ive been good I see dividends..... when I have been bad (pub) then the next morning I'm down but the folliwing I'm up 0.5kg...... so it keeps me in check...... i need the routine and discipline. I also keep an eye on the inches..... I wear the same belt most days, so when I notice when I can almost move down a hole, and when I finally do...... so with the exerecise I will be trimming up and in doing so I know the increased muscle mass will offset the fat loss, a bit.

Regarding the loose skin thing............ thats GREAT :) I was quite worried about that when I watched an "I'm too fat" program a few weeks back. I am no where near that bad, but still, I was a little worried.

Just an update (this is turning into a "Blog" - LOL).

I'm about 10 days since I started making any kind of real effort and I'm down from 85kg to 82.8kg.

I shall continue to add these updates..... so far, it has shown to me that by including a little bit of exercise in your daily routine, and makeing small cut backs and easting a little more of the right thing, and less of the wrong thing (and a little bit less all round) then even a busy office worker with very little spare time can infact improve their health and fitness, even if it is by a small margin :)

I've tried to do longer cardio sessions, as others said...... though I am not managing to do them as often (about every other day).

I continue to do as many crunches and pressups as I can, every day (almost - I skipped it yesterday).

In stead of getting a bike, I walk between my office and the train station (about 1km each way).

Stopped order pisset portions, and trying to avoid what I envisage as the "worst" thai dishes (fried noodles)

Eating a slightly smaller dinner, and eating more meat and veg (as a percentage) than rice.

As others have pointed out - as the weight goes down eat kg will get harder and harder to loose, need more and more effort from me in terms of exercise espcially and diet.

Thanks all!

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Since I started this topic, about 3 months ago, I have lost quite a bit of weight, and I feel much better about myself - so thanks to everyone who encouraged me and answered this thread.

In 3 months, I am down 5kg. My exercise has not been exactly regular - with some weeks doing nothing at all, and others doing 5 nights a week. Likewise with the diet - there's been good weeks and bad, but in general I have been sensible, limiting my intake of carbs and things like carbonated sweet drinks (fanta etc.). The reults have been hugely positive however, and I continue to steady lose weight and get in better shape, and I do not feel like I am starving myself, doing without, or depriving myself of the better things in life - all round, I feel good.

In terms of my exercise - I do an hour routine, approximately which involves about a 4km fast walk / jog (takes about 20 mins) followed by a few reps of cunches, leg lifts, press ups, stnading press ups, and a few stretches (altogether about 50 reps of each). It gets me sweating, gets teh heart beating, and I am feeling teh benefits.

Encouraged by my results, I am wondering / considering about taking things a step further i.e. not just to get into a healthy BMI range, but actually get myself in shape so I look reasonably good: flat stomach perhapswith the shadow of a six pack - firm pec's, noticable (not bulging) bi-ceps etc. Seems more healthy to aim for that, rather than to aim for a bmi 25 and then slowly slip back into old habbits.

So, my question is - if I wanted to see visible results as described above, what sort of BMI should I be aiming for. I am an above average build - not quite broad and stocky, but certianly broader and heavier boned than most.

Many thanks to everyone!

Edited by MTS1978