Firfox

Hi to everyone

I am new to the forum and would like to say hi to everyone. I have an enquiry that I have also posted in the teachers section. However, I have also put the topic here as well for it also gives a good introduction of myself.

Thanks

Kind regards

Andy

I am just wanting to share/ check out with members an idea I have. I have been married to a Thai national for the past six years and for the duration of this time we have lived hapilly in England, where she has become a British Citizen.

I have worked for the Local Government managing services for young people both inside and outside of school hours for the past twenty years. I have a Masters Degree in leading services for children and young people and have just completed a four week CertTESOL course, validated through the Trinity College in London.

I am 50 years of age this coming November and because of the public spending cuts in the Uk it is likely that I will be made redundant. I own two properties (mortgage free) in the UK, which I could easily rent out.

I have visited Thailand many times and on numerous occassions have taught on a voluntary basis in government schools, techno colleges and and a University.

My plan is to start a an English tutor centre in Thailand. I plan to set this up in a local village school where I have previously taught and my wife and I are well known. The tutor centre would open after the school day finishes and would use one of the school's classrooms . I have discussed this with the headteacher at the school and he supports the idea and has already agreed that I can use the school premises. I am very well known in the village where the majority of the students live, that attend the local school. My wife was brought up in the village and attended the school we are hoping to go into partnership with. We visit the village and the school on a regular basis for her family still live there.

The tutor centre would operate out of school hours on both early evenings and possibly Saturdays and Sundays. I would aim to run ten week 'beginner courses' for the students and each lesson would last two hours. The cost of the full course would be 1,500 baht, therefore 150 baht for two hours. I would aim to run courses five nights a week with a different group each evening. If my maths are correct this would equate to 7,500 baht per week.

My wife would co - teach with me and would be key to recruiting the students. We have already undertaken market research in the village and with the students themselves and there is a lot of interest. I know it will take time to build up a client base, but I would have the income of my UK properties to fall back on. My aim would be that due to only having small class sizes each evening the students will learn fast and this will be a major factor in students/parents wanting the students to progress and attend a further slightly more advanced ten week course.

In relation to a work permit my wife has spoken with the headteacher and explained I am willing to undertake some voluntary teaching at the school on a weekly basis and he has agreed to apply for a work permit for me. My question here is does this sound a possibility?

I know this idea, if feasible, will never make me rich but this is not my intention.

Overall, what do you think to my idea. Any constructive criticism would be welcome.

Thank you for your comments/views in advance.

Kind regards

Andy

Sounds fine to me and you have the income from renting the two houses in the UK. Not sure of the work permit issues mind although teahers have some big exemptions with salaries etc.

Youll get a lot of daft replies just ignore them.

Firstly, I think its great you are doing it, but.....

Are the locals willing to spend that much for English lessons.

Secondly most farangs that have issues, have issues relating to living in there partners village, maybe think about the same idea far away from the family.

Unfortunately, you will get some daft replies...but mixed in will be some really good ones. I recommend you post your above questions in the following forum, in a new topic:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/46-teaching-in-thailand-forum/

Here on Thaivisa.com, it's best to post in the appropriate forum. Many members, who are experts in a particular field, only monitor one or two forums. So posting in the appropriate forum makes a huge difference, and that's also why you will see mods who move topics. It really does make a difference.

Welcome and best of luck with your venture! :)

Edit: oops...looks like you have already opened a new topic in the teaching forum. Great! But since we don't allow the same post across multiple forums, this one will have to be closed. Here's a link to the new thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/449868-starting-out-in-thailand/page__p__4270610#entry4270610

Topic Closed.