Steak

KRS1

steak  

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Beef should hang in a Butchers fridge for about a week, to become aged, any longer than that and the beef becomes green and smelly, i used to sell Aberdeen Angus Beef in my shop the best there is.

Beef should hang in a Butchers fridge for about a week, to become aged, any longer than that and the beef becomes green and smelly, i used to sell Aberdeen Angus Beef in my shop the best there is.

Got to agree with you there Boyce! thumbsup.gif

Aged.

Most beef is aged to an extent. I happen to like 28-day aged, but to be honest, I can see how to some that might taste a little off.

It does look weird when it is pulled out of the cooler and cut down from large chunk of black meat to a nice small steak.

aged. Is there any other option?

When I buy fresh steak I usually keep it in the fridge for a couple of days in a plastic box with a drip bottom, so that the juices drip out and the steak is not floating in it. Works pretty well.

I think you're all getting confused with different types of ageing methods. All meat has to be aged to a certain degree to get rid of the rigamortis in the animal, without any aging it would be inedable. Most aging is done either in cyrovac bags now or the whole beast has been aged before being butchered. Beef generally needs about a week, but most people agree that after 28 days it's at it's best.

What i think the OP is getting confused about is dry aging. This is generally only done for ribs and it's when the rib is left in a special aging fridge uncovered, again usually for upto 28 days. This does produce a very strong flavoured meat, personally I think it ends up tasting more gamey, a bit like aged Venison. But it is an aquired taste as many people feel it just tastes mouldy. When a peice of beef has been dry aged well, it can be really nice, but sadly some of the dry aged beef you get really isn't very nice at all.

Edited by theseahorse

I think you're all getting confused with different types of ageing methods. All meat has to be aged to a certain degree to get rid of the rigamortis in the animal, without any aging it would be inedable. Most aging is done either in cyrovac bags now or the whole beast has been aged before being butchered. Beef generally needs about a week, but most people agree that after 28 days it's at it's best.

What i think the OP is getting confused about is dry aging. This is generally only done for ribs and it's when the rib is left in a special aging fridge uncovered, again usually for upto 28 days. This does produce a very strong flavoured meat, personally I think it ends up tasting more gamey, a bit like aged Venison. But it is an aquired taste as many people feel it just tastes mouldy. When a peice of beef has been dry aged well, it can be really nice, but sadly some of the dry aged beef you get really isn't very nice at all.

Good point about dry aging and other types. I alluded to it in my post, but your post was much more clear.