Salsa Kitchen

anonymouse

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Salsa Kitchen certainly hasn't been consistent IMHO - used to go there all the time in the old days before the move - the prices have gone up bigtime (2 increases since the move) and the portions halved in size. The quality of food has also gone downhill - I brought 2 seperate friends there who were visiting recently and both didn't rate it at all. Shame as used to be one of my favourite places to eat.

I've been going to Salsa Kitchen since they opened and nothing but good things to say about the restaurant. People can argue all day and night about the semantics of what is 'Mexican Food' but the bottom line is that John and his wife Ede produce great food at a great value. I wouldn't call it traditional Mexican but that doesn't really matter. Every country seems to have their own take on regional foods.

Mexican restaurants in the USA have a much cleaner presentation of the basic dishes than what is served below the border (usually a rather greasy affair outside of expensive hotels). I won't even get started about American Chinese food which has almost nothing to do with that fine Democratic country's actual food. I believe there's no right or wrong when it comes to cooking food (unfortunately there seems to be more wrong than right!). The only important thing is does it suit your individual taste. Fast food restaurants obviously succeed because they have a formula that works for many (Taco Bell?!?) but I will only enter one if I have no other choice (like the interstate highway system in the USA with no time to investigate other local options). I always prefer unique family run restaurants and always avoid restaurant 'chains'.

Miguel's has a passable Burrito but the rice and the beans I find unbearable. As someone said on this thread, 'to each his own'. There's no right or wrong. A lot of people seem to like Miguel's so good luck to them.

I'm partial to the Salsa Kitchen's Burritos and the ribs (both varieties). Both their rice and their beans are much better than Miguel's in my opinion. I've never had anything I didn't enjoy there. Some have mentioned that the portions are big (which is true) but who wants a big portion of bad food which we've all probably had at some time or another? This is certainly not the case at Salsa Kitchen. And I can't imagine anyone complaining about the prices.

I think that CM needs more restaurants like this with a unique take on cooking based on the owner's individual whims.

Both varieties of ribs? Went there last night and guess what the Hickory smoked were gone and apparent not making anymore, according to my waiter. Like the quote stated 'each to his own' but the burrito I order was half filled, and covered with so much sour cream that it was all I could taste :bah:. Guess I'm one of those used to having a meaty almost over loaded burritos. However I am not saying that I won't go back there, I'm going to give it another chance incase of an 'off-day' and ordering something different.

[

Both varieties of ribs? Went there last night and guess what the Hickory smoked were gone and apparent not making anymore, according to my waiter. Like the quote stated 'each to his own' but the burrito I order was half filled, and covered with so much sour cream that it was all I could taste :bah:. Guess I'm one of those used to having a meaty almost over loaded burritos. However I am not saying that I won't go back there, I'm going to give it another chance incase of an 'off-day' and ordering something different.

Very strange story for us to read. We ate there Sunday had the combo plate ,(WOW!! )and original ribs which were out of this world good. We have eaten there 7-8 times (3 times in a large group ) , the sour cream,the salsa and the chopped tomotoes have always been in three separate little bowls on the same plate .The pork burritoe on the combo plate was filled with meat !

What exact burritoe plate ? .

Edited by yesterday

I think that 'gourmet' is not the right word. Unique recipes that are influenced by Mexican cuisine and what ingredients are fresh and in season is how I would put it - tasty food that does not try to be totally authentic.

it would seem you just discribe the road map to create "gourmet" food items,

a unigue twist using freah in season ingredients is certainly the first step on the road to creating gourmet food.

Can I just advise to not EVER order anything Mexican from Butter Better? It's completely horrible, to the point of making you wonder why they bother having it on the menu. Also my mistake of course, I always end up not knowing what to order at Farang restaurants.

Salsa Kitchen certainly hasn't been consistent IMHO - used to go there all the time in the old days before the move - the prices have gone up bigtime (2 increases since the move) and the portions halved in size. The quality of food has also gone downhill - I brought 2 seperate friends there who were visiting recently and both didn't rate it at all. Shame as used to be one of my favourite places to eat.

Yes the main courses averaging 150 baht a dish must really break the bank :whistling: