Aircards & Airtime

Colabamumbai

Telecom Store Roi Et, stay away.

I recently purchased an aircard to alllow me internet access. They should me the two models that they sell. They told me that the more expensive model AIS 3G 7.2 the black one not the white one included 60 hours of internet air time every month for ten months, the white card only one month. They told me that it was a faster modem anywhere in Thailand than the white model. I paid 3,200Bhat for it last month.

With 10 minutes of time and one day remaining to use that time, I returned to the shop today, not believing that they were going to put another 60 hours on the card free for ten months. There was no more free time I was told. So I purchased 50 hours of time for 200Bhat. Then they told me I would have to pay 7% VAT. So I gave them 220Bhat and waited for my 6 Bhat change. It was not coming. They tried again to explain that it was VAT tax. I told them that the VAT tax was 14 Bhat on 200 Bhat. Then they tried to tell me that it was because I still had 10 minutes time remaining on the aircard, from my first purchase. This was my first purchase, the first 60 hours were included in the purchase. When I refused to believe any more of their b___ ____, they told me that they would refund it the next time I purchased air time.

I could have gone to 7-11 and made my purchase and saved myself 20Bhat and listening to lies for 20 minutes......

Telecom Store Roi Et please boycott.

Hi Colabamumbai,

I'm in need of internet access next month when I come to thailand (udon Thani), Do you mind me asking what is this aircard thing you purchased? I imagine it is like a mobile internet dongle which is what I need for my laptop are they easily found in Thailand? and what would you recomend based on your experience?

Cheers

Search the Computer & Internet forum, there's a thread on there about the best ones to use. 1,300 Baht if I remember right but my missus just went to the AIS shop and bought an Edge USB modem from them with a netsim credit of 30 hours included for 1,090 Baht.

I used it for a trip to Chiang Mai and back and it worked fine. Always connected and no dropping and was enough for checking emails and websites. Never tried downloading torents or anything with it though.

Hi Colabamumbai,

I'm in need of internet access next month when I come to thailand (udon Thani), Do you mind me asking what is this aircard thing you purchased? I imagine it is like a mobile internet dongle which is what I need for my laptop are they easily found in Thailand? and what would you recomend based on your experience?

Cheers

I seem agree with the other post, if you can get by on a 1200 03 1300 Bhat aircard, they may be a little slower, but cheaper in the long run. the daughter here has one.

As an update, the 220 Bhat airtime that I had put on the card was gone the following morning. I think the stores reply was that there is no promotion now so you pay one bhat per minute. Just this hour the girfriends daughter bought sim cards for 200 Bhat and put them on this mobile, it shows the money in the account, but not the price per minute.

They discounted the 200 bhat by 8 Bhat, sho it showed up as 192.00. I think that a Bhat a minute is expensive, $2.00 an hour for a 256kps card, vs internet cafes at 20 Bhat an hour. The stores answer is to but the unlimited time card for 650 Bhat, but it is limited to one month.

We live in the country 35klms outside Nakhon Sawan. So we use a CAT Telecom CDMA device made in Korea. Model MC727. We can plug it direct into the computers, but use a short 1' cable with a USB connection on either end that improves the connectivity enormously. We've had it for about 3 years now. Originally it cost 9,000 baht, +800 baht per month, unlimited everything. They are now about 5,000 baht +800 per month. Generally its reliable, fast enough, and there are few problems. Regards

We live in the country 35klms outside Nakhon Sawan. So we use a CAT Telecom CDMA device made in Korea. Model MC727. We can plug it direct into the computers, but use a short 1' cable with a USB connection on either end that improves the connectivity enormously. We've had it for about 3 years now. Originally it cost 9,000 baht, +800 baht per month, unlimited everything. They are now about 5,000 baht +800 per month. Generally its reliable, fast enough, and there are few problems. Regards

We are in the country 10 kms from Roi Et, between Roi Et and Mahasarakham. There is no phone line internet service provided. This is my first experience with an aircard.

That is interesting. When you say that it improves connectivity do you mean that it connects fast, or runs fast. These aircards like mine typically run at about 256 kps. if mine is any example.

They are not fast enough to lets say carry on a conversation thru the computer using one of the larger known websites, dialing phone numbers. Mine connects quickly but I could walk faster than it takes to do anything. Impossible to watch lets say utube or other streaming video. Checking my Bhat left on the card it is about 150 now, so I am paying a Bhat a minute as I said in earlier posts.

Someone else I know seems to be able to buy time on their card, that does not expire at the end of one month, as does any remaining time on my card. We bought 200 Bhat of time this morning and got a telephone message, " put more money in the account." like how much more do you want???

You have to sign up for an internet package, don't just pay by the minute

http://www.happy.co....mid=368〈=en

http://www.ais.co.th...ce_package.html

Don't you just love it when you click on the EN for English and it refreshes the page in Thai :annoyed:

(The AIS link)

Edit: http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/2G_coverage-speed.html Thai only also - gives details of 2G and 3G services

Edited by PattayaParent

You have to sign up for an internet package, don't just pay by the minute

http://www.happy.co....mid=368〈=en

http://www.ais.co.th...ce_package.html

Don't you just love it when you click on the EN for English and it refreshes the page in Thai :annoyed:

(The AIS link)

Edit: http://www.ais.co.th...rage-speed.html Thai only also - gives details of 2G and 3G services

We put 200 Bhat on the card yesterday, it showed 192. So this morning I cannot get online with the card. After many attempts I do. I check my time and to my surprise it shows 56 hours remaining. Yet yesterday after I made the purchase, it would only show Bhat remaining, not minutes or cost per minute. So I seem to have gotten the package 60 minutes for 200 Bhat from phone cards from the store next door to me. It took a day to show up as a package, or I should say to say 56 hours remaining.

We are in the country 10 kms from Roi Et, between Roi Et and Mahasarakham. There is no phone line internet service provided. This is my first experience with an aircard.

That is interesting. When you say that it improves connectivity do you mean that it connects fast, or runs fast. These aircards like mine typically run at about 256 kps. if mine is any example.

They are not fast enough to lets say carry on a conversation thru the computer using one of the larger known websites, dialing phone numbers. Mine connects quickly but I could walk faster than it takes to do anything. Impossible to watch lets say utube or other streaming video. Checking my Bhat left on the card it is about 150 now, so I am paying a Bhat a minute as I said in earlier posts.

Someone else I know seems to be able to buy time on their card, that does not expire at the end of one month, as does any remaining time on my card. We bought 200 Bhat of time this morning and got a telephone message, " put more money in the account." like how much more do you want???

The extra 1' cable thing improves both connection and running speed. My stepson discovered it by accident one day when he was playing with different plug in devices. Before that we had a lot of trouble with the connection when we plugged direct into the USB port. It is fast enough to have normal skype conversations. But I have also become a bit more diligent in freeing up disk space and defragmenting, which I used to do maybe once in six months. Regards

• 9 months later...

99B ** 75 MB

150B 150 MB

350B with AIS Music Store 1 GB

550B 2 GB wifi unlimited

799B unlimited *** wifi unlimited

899B with 10 e-magazine unlimited *** wifi unlimited

*After 3G is used up, the customers are available to access unlimited Internet at 384 kbps.

**99 Baht package (for pre-paid customers) and 599 Baht package. Starts from 8 December 2011.

•Free monthly fee of AIS Music Store 99 Baht/Month to download unlimited Full Song, MV and AIS Music Store

• 10 e-magazine from AIS Bookstore are Attitude, Cosmopolitan, Digital Camera, Golf Digest, Health Plus,

Her World, Madame Figaro, Money & Banking , Priew and OK (for subscribers of Now– 5 January 2012)

To download e-magazine, simply click www.ais.co.th/bookstore

*** Maximun speed 3G up to 5 GB

Thought I would post an update for this tread, since i was looking for it.

They don't advertise it but they also have a 999baht 7GB unlimited also, just dial *300 to get it.

I have been using AIS 3G for about 6 months now in Chiangmai, I am located outside the 3BB range (4km from me still) so an aircard is my only option. Typical speed is .7Mbps with a 3/5 bar signal (2km from closest 3g tower), Iv also tested it at close range in pantip plaza and achieved 2Mbps.

Even after your throttled down to 384kbps its fast enough to browse the internet, about 48KB/sec.

Coverage map: http://www.ais.co.th...et/3g/coverage/

Edited by CNX1984