Pedagogical Training

Hi all, I have been teaching in Thailand for about six years now and was posed with an interview question “Have you had any pedagogical training?” My understanding would be that a pedagogical system would differ between age groups, culture and the level of understanding. Could somebody please advise me of what would be your definition and how would you answer this question if posed to you as a teacher.

I need some more advice please what teaching literature would best be suited to teach Cambridge curriculum in the CheckPoint level and in the IGCSE level preparing for the "O" level exams.

Your kind responses will be appreciated.

You need to talk to my old Latin, or History teacher, who were able to drone on endlessly about their chosen subject, in the manner you have been asked about. I had no idea that you could be trained that way either..? I thought it was something that only came after years of trying to teach teenage boys a subject that they had not the least interest in..! :bah:

Edited by paulbrun

Sounds like they want to know if you have been trained to be a teacher - but really they wanted to know if you knew what pedagogy means. But you are correct in thinking that how you teach would depend on age level and culture.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Pedagogical training is a big thing on the PGCE courses in the UK. What they are asking is what are your thoughts on education specifically with children and how do you continue to progress a child's education. The universities and schools suggest they are asking what type of philosophies you hold when it comes to educating children. It's a standard question in interviews at the moment for NQTs and a way of deciphering how you will teach - will you be strict, soft, play orientated etc etc.

Perhaps a less literal Latin translation that is a little popular in the UK right now, maybe the interviewer is following up on the UK popular questions...?

Hope this helps, a little late!

What they are asking is how have you been trained as a teacher?

Keep in mind this could include formal as well as informal experience. Be creative with your answer by drawing on your experiences and make known that your pedagogical training is always ongoing; professional development, classes you are/intend to take to receive more endorsements on your certificate etc.

Good luck :)