Have The Divesites In The Andaman Sea Been Reopened?

Shurup

I haven't been diving too much on the West of Thailand, was mostly out of Pattaya, but all the dives I did out of Phi-Phi were trully amazing compared to Pattaya.

After I am off work in about 3 weeks, I would like to make a one week or so trip to Similans and I want to do some dives there. I remember reading end of last year of plans about closign the dives sites due to corals bleaching... Don't know if it ever happened (divesite closures), but just want to make sure they are open now.

Anyone has any info on that?

Thanks!

Pattaya is great. We found a washing machine yesterday :)

I don't know if this is true, but other divers were saying that the 'closed' sites were never really closed. Might just be a rumour but given the state of law enforcement around here, and that it was basically a stupid decision driven by an academic trying to hook a research grant, I wouldn't be surprised.

Edited by Crushdepth

So, nobody's been diving in the Andaman or around Samui after the New Year? :ermm:

How did Samui end up here? What would you like to know, since this was not mentioned in your OP?

Similans should be fine, just don't expect much hard coral to be in good shape.

Pattaya is great. We found a washing machine yesterday :)

I don't know if this is true, but other divers were saying that the 'closed' sites were never really closed. Might just be a rumour but given the state of law enforcement around here, and that it was basically a stupid decision driven by an academic trying to hook a research grant, I wouldn't be surprised.

It would not surprise me if "closed" can be opened for 500 Baht......

So, nobody's been diving in the Andaman or around Samui after the New Year? :ermm:

How did Samui end up here? What would you like to know, since this was not mentioned in your OP?

Similans should be fine, just don't expect much hard coral to be in good shape.

Have The Divesites In The Andaman Sea Been Reopened? Similan Islands, Phi-Phi, Samui

• 4 weeks later...

any updates from the OP or others on this? Presumably dive operators are going to give you an, err, skewed view of things as they have an interest in parting you from your money. I was thinking of heading to Phuket or Khao Lak for a liveaboard to Similans (and maybe points North) in a few weeks. Anyone know of customer trip-reports with an obective view on (a) current status of site closures; (B) state of the corals above and below 10m; © demand, availability and cost of walk-in bookings for 5-ish day liveaboards?

TIA :)

Presumably dive operators are going to give you an, err, skewed view of things as they have an interest in parting you from your money.
Which is exactly why they want happy guests, so will tell the truth.

Only two dive sites in the Similan Islands have been officially closed on top of the ones, which were closed already. The ones that got closed, following the bleaching of coral due to high sea temperatures in the region last year are Beacon Reef and East of Eden. Beacon Reef has not been a popular dive site for years. East of Eden used to be, but was badly effected by the coral bleaching and hence many operators did not go there even before the official closure.

Diving around Phi Phi has effectively not been affected by the closure of the sites around Hin Klang, as hardly anybody ever dives there.

Some sites in the Chumphon Marine park were ordered closed, otherwise no closures in the Gulf of Thailand.

Amazing that some people still think all dive sites around the Similans, Phi Phi and even Samui(?!) are completely closed by now...

Amazing that some people still think all dive sites around the Similans, Phi Phi and even Samui(?!) are completely closed by now...

It's more amazing that people still think there are dive sites around Samui :D

The nearest diving is sail rock between KPG and Koh Tao. The rest are all around Koh Tao :D None of which were effected by the closures and from what I'm led to believe the sites in the Chumphon marine park are open as usual. As very few people dive there to start off with closing it made no sense at all. :o

• 1 month later...

They really only have the ability to close sites in the NPs. Koh Tao is not NP so they really can't close. Maybe as stated something in Nang Yuan - but that looks really unimpressive anyway.

Just the two in the Similians.

There are two snorkel sites I have heard were closed in Mu Koh Surin, the majority remained open. Koh Surin really got hit hard. Color was totally void.

All the rocks were open

Koh Rawi/Adang/Lipe was all open last year.

Koh Bon and Tachai are open as well.

Koh Rork open as Kradan NPs

Edited by bangkokburning