Accommodation Query

smiljanic

Hi Guys,

I am in the process of booking a week-long trip to Hua Hin in June. I've never been to Hua Hin and my only knowledge of the area and its hotels is from the internet.

Basically I've narrowed my choices down to these two hotels. I have the option of either a Luxury Club Room (W/ Lounge Access) at the Sofitel Centara or a Deluxe King room at the Intercontinental for approximately the same price.

Could anybody with knowledge of both hotels/the area please provide some guidance as to which they think would be the better option??

Thanks in advance!

They are both top quality luxury hotels on the beach... so it depends on personal preference, i.e., if you want to be in the center of downtown within walking distance of most bars, restaurants, and shopping the Sofitel would be the better option as the Intercontinental is a couple of kilometers out of town center. The other main difference is style; the Intercontinental is brand new and modern (Thai design) and the Sofitel is the oldest hotel in Hua Hin, but it is maintained meticulously and has the charm and style of an old colonial hotel. I believe the Centara rooms you are referring to in the Sofitel are not in the main hotel though, but are private (or semi private?) bungalows on the adjacent property. Both properties should provide a great holiday and as I said it is personal preference, but I would choose the Sofitel simply because of the more convenient location.

Are you a single traveler, family, or couple and what are your interests in coming to Hua Hin? The answers to those questions may have bearing on your choice as well.

They are both top quality luxury hotels on the beach... so it depends on personal preference, i.e., if you want to be in the center of downtown within walking distance of most bars, restaurants, and shopping the Sofitel would be the better option as the Intercontinental is a couple of kilometers out of town center. The other main difference is style; the Intercontinental is brand new and modern (Thai design) and the Sofitel is the oldest hotel in Hua Hin, but it is maintained meticulously and has the charm and style of an old colonial hotel. I believe the Centara rooms you are referring to in the Sofitel are not in the main hotel though, but are private (or semi private?) bungalows on the adjacent property. Both properties should provide a great holiday and as I said it is personal preference, but I would choose the Sofitel simply because of the more convenient location.

Are you a single traveler, family, or couple and what are your interests in coming to Hua Hin? The answers to those questions may have bearing on your choice as well.

Thanks for the reply mate.

What you've said in terms of the style difference is the problem I've faced. It's like comparing apples with oranges! Both have received very good reviews from guests.

I didn't realise Intercontinental was further out than Sofitel.. thanks for that.

I'll likely be a single traveler, although my girlfriend will come if she can get time off work. I'm 22 years old and not particularly into the bar scene, if you mean the girlie bars. I do like to have a few beers though. Basically I'm going to Hua Hin to relax for a week.

By the way, the room I'd be booking at the Sofitel isn't one of the Villas (I wish). It's just part of the main wing but affords Lounge Access too.

After your advice I'm leaning towards Sofitel, cheers for that!

Edited by smiljanic

Sofitel 100%

Old-time elegance and luxury

Its on the same beach but in town, walk everywhere

Operated by Accor, a top hotel outfit (as is I-C)

I don't think that you can compare IC (should be IHG btw) to Accor.

Accor is operating in a 3 - 4 star level with lots of run down hotels.

Interconti is a 5 star brand with a much wider and better portfolio

of hotels and brands.

The Sofitel HH is different thats for sure but that certainly does not

go for the entire brand.

I would say the the Sofitel , not so much for its colonial style, which has been well maintained, but as first time visitor I think the location is ideal for you.

I also can recommend the Sofitel, where I already stayed 3 times:

• Beautiful architecture
  • Real pre-aircon colonial style (aircon seldom used)
  • Walking distance to the old village

Thanks for the reply mate.

What you've said in terms of the style difference is the problem I've faced. It's like comparing apples with oranges! Both have received very good reviews from guests.

I didn't realise Intercontinental was further out than Sofitel.. thanks for that.

I'll likely be a single traveler, although my girlfriend will come if she can get time off work. I'm 22 years old and not particularly into the bar scene, if you mean the girlie bars. I do like to have a few beers though. Basically I'm going to Hua Hin to relax for a week.

By the way, the room I'd be booking at the Sofitel isn't one of the Villas (I wish). It's just part of the main wing but affords Lounge Access too.

After your advice I'm leaning towards Sofitel, cheers for that!

What??? :o:ermm::unsure::blink:

Sofitel, because it's located in the centre (next to all the bars) and daily entertainment (there is any?) theres only 2 other better located hotels for a lone male in Hua Hin. The Hilton and the other hotel / saloon in the middle of bintabaht next to 7.

I will be staying at the IC, Hua Hin for a few days at the end of April, with my GF. I am really looking forward to it. will probably have to rent a moped though. Have stayed at the Hilton which is excellent

Sofitel 100%

Old-time elegance and luxury

Its on the same beach but in town, walk everywhere

Operated by Accor, a top hotel outfit (as is I-C)

I don't think that you can compare IC (should be IHG btw) to Accor.

Accor is operating in a 3 - 4 star level with lots of run down hotels.

Interconti is a 5 star brand with a much wider and better portfolio

of hotels and brands.

The Sofitel HH is different thats for sure but that certainly does not

go for the entire brand.

Did not compare them but I agree I-C are more upscale but in this case Sofitel/Accor wins. Nothing wrong with Accor, used their hotels all the time when I lived in France and I use Ibis in BKK for very good value.