Isuzu Truck

Hssl

Been offered a 1996 Isuzu pick up at a fair price - only thing putting me off is it doesn't have power steering, been quoted 8k for OEM up grade by a local mechanic - your thoughts please

TIA

I smell a rat here, its not possible even with OEM parts, 8k must be for labour only,

You will need a power steering pump, extra drive belt/s and pulleys, 1 high pressure hose, and a low pressure return hose, plus a addition to the top of your steering box or a complete PS rack and pinion,, new oil and filter, not forgetting the mounting brackets for the pump, it also has to be set up properly, the lock limit valves set to cut the power on full lock, if not, it will destroy the pump,

As a test, normally at standstill, turning the wheels will make the pump work hard, hold it on full lock, and if it continues to make a noise, its time to get the steering stops adjusted, the pump power should cut out at full lock..

Quite a few years ago I paid 10,000 for conversion of a Suzuki Carribean, using original parts of the newer model, which comes with power steering. Took half a day for the job. This was in Phuket City at the Suzuki garage.