Is This A Bad Idea?

I'm back on Samui, moving into a new place today. The wi-fi is provided by a nearby shop. Pay a monthly fee for the password. In order to control only people who pay get the password, he wants me to bring my laptop to him and he'll put in the password. Thing is, with laptop theft a concern, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to basically say, "hi, I'm the new guy in that bungalow and here is my brand new laptop". It's a small place so he knows exactly where I am. Even if he is honest, he might mention it to someone who isn't so honest.

Should I look for an alternative way to get Internet? Or am I being too paranoid?

You might be a bit too paranoid.No different then you taking it in to get repaired, they might get your details, or follow you home.

Welcome back to Samui.

An air card will cost you about 1-300 1-500 baht then just get one of the packages on offer. With AIS 1 2 call you can get 30 hours for 100 baht, 250 hours for 500 baht and unlimited for 1000 baht. All per month. No contract simply pay as you go.

If you are giving him your laptop to enter the password then if you go into properties you can simply untick the box so you can see the password so he is wasting his time really :huh:

Also you are reliant on him for your access. What happens when you need to re set the modem as you often have to do ?

As long as you are not down loading huge files the the air card will do most things you want and you can use it anywhere as well ;)

An air card will cost you about 1-300 1-500 baht then just get one of the packages on offer. With AIS 1 2 call you can get 30 hours for 100 baht, 250 hours for 500 baht and unlimited for 1000 baht. All per month. No contract simply pay as you go.

If you are giving him your laptop to enter the password then if you go into properties you can simply untick the box so you can see the password so he is wasting his time really :huh:

Also you are reliant on him for your access. What happens when you need to re set the modem as you often have to do ?

As long as you are not down loading huge files the the air card will do most things you want and you can use it anywhere as well ;)

speaking of aircards. I don't suppose anyone has any news of 3G hitting samui as this would put most people problems to rest ? i herd 4G is out already. Yet we haven't got any G's yet cheers

You may be a little bit paranoid. He is simply asking for you to bring your laptop in so he can install a password and I presume he wants to make sure it's working ok after he's finished.

All you can really do is ensure your place is locked secure anytime you go out. Hide your laptop where it may be difficult to find while your out.

:jap:

You may be a little bit paranoid. He is simply asking for you to bring your laptop in so he can install a password and I presume he wants to make sure it's working ok after he's finished.

All you can really do is ensure your place is locked secure anytime you go out. Hide your laptop where it may be difficult to find while your out.

:jap:

yes we all know that thanks but this is the Samui forum where everything is a drama and a conspiracy theory. :)

Just because you are paranoid doen't nean everyone isn't out to get you :huh:

As said all he needs to do is just give you the password.

As soon as he has typed it in you can easily find it out :o

Whenever my laptop goes to the repair shop the HDD stays with me :thumbsup:

it is a pretty ridiculous concept, regardless of motive and/or intention. the password is easily found after it is entered. much easier to just change the passwords on a regular basis but hey it is thailand so why not make simple things a bit more complicated.

speaking of aircards. I don't suppose anyone has any news of 3G hitting samui as this would put most people problems to rest ? i herd 4G is out already. Yet we haven't got any G's yet cheers

I recall reading on the geek forum early summer. You surely didn't expect an exact date? :lol:

EDIT: I just realised jow meaningless that is...maybe I should go back and ask again.....:D

Edited by smokie36

Welcome back to Samui,

ok weather your paranoid about your landlord/shop owner or not, my suggestion

for your own piece of mind is go out and buy yourself a safe big enough to accomodate your prized possesions.

when you bolt the safe down use a silicone sealant as a secondary fixing agent, most theiving bast***s don't

want to go to too much trouble, so the time and noise digging out your safe should put most scumbags off,

for the piece of mind a safe is good value.

Edited by starcandle

just show shim that with windows vista and windows 7 you can get the password directly from the wifi list ;-)

so he'll understand it's useless to ask you to bring your laptop.

do it the thai style ^^

Welcome back to Samui,

for your own piece of mind is go out and buy yourself a safe big enough to accomodate your prized possesions.

when you bolt the safe down use a silicone sealant as a secondary fixing agent, most theiving bast***s don't

want to go to too much trouble, so the time and noise digging out your safe should put most scumbags off,

I agree, get your hand in your pocket now and save in the future

Welcome back to Samui,

I agree, get your hand in your pocket now and save in the future

I third this. ;)