Why Do Expats Wear Shorts In Thailand

Semper

Right and who exactly is it you see wearing shorts? The educated and hard working Thai citizen? NO

Sadly the answer is yes.

More and more I see Thais wearing shorts, and well to do Thais as well. I myself was rather surprised when out at a fashionable Sri Nakharin nightspot this weekend, to see a good percentage of men wearing shorts and T Shirts.

Again I'm not saying its right, but when a falang wears shorts and flip flops he's wearing a "loser" sign. Sad but true, the guy could be a billionaire but he's still wearing the sign to Thai people and they will treat him accordingly.

I think you'll find that in most cases the colour of his/her skin and the financial implications which come with that often override what a 'falang' may be wearing in the eyes of a Thai.

Sadly you're stuck in that dated mindset that Thailand is some exclusive Country Club with a strict dress code, however most Thais still think along the lines of ''white skin = money'' and don't really think in your narrow minded way.

I often wear shorts out and about and it certainly never stops me getting attention from females. The wife does that.

BTW the Country Club which I am a member of dropped their ban on shorts for gentlemen about 12 years ago if memory serves me right.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I usually wear smart 'combat' trousers with plenty of pockets and drawstring at the ankles to keep out the mosquitos. Plus a casual, long-sleeved shirt. If it's a wild night out, then I might dispense with my tie.

I never feel too hot and for sure, someone has to keep standards up ;)

Simon

Quetion to the OP - why is this a bad thing? I mean I do agree that even in the states many younger folks wear cargo pants. boring tshirts and flip flops. They even do it when it's a bit chily. But why the question? I had on long pants and long shorts yesterday walking around and literally felt faint. I had to stop at one of the rip off tourist booths and purchase and overpriced tshirt for fear of fainting.

Is it seen as rude? I've also seen quite a bit of Thai men in shorts.

No, it's not a "bad thing". I'm just curious why the expats have not got used to the climate here. 32 degrees is not that hot if you have been here for a couple of years.

I am used to the heat. I still like shorts. It's more comfortable and casual, that's all. If I was working here and shorts weren't the standard dress, of course I wouldn't wear them. I also don't care if Thais think I am loso.

Quetion to the OP - why is this a bad thing? I mean I do agree that even in the states many younger folks wear cargo pants. boring tshirts and flip flops. They even do it when it's a bit chily. But why the question? I had on long pants and long shorts yesterday walking around and literally felt faint. I had to stop at one of the rip off tourist booths and purchase and overpriced tshirt for fear of fainting.

No, it's not a "bad thing". I'm just curious why the expats have not got used to the climate here. 32 degrees is not that hot if you have been here for a couple of years.

My Mrs has been here all her life and she says it's hot !!

My Mrs has been here all her life and she says it's hot !!

Yes,and will bet that she use a jacket to protect herself from the sun when she goes out in daytime. B)

OK, the prudes amongst you may not like this, but I'll tell you the real reason.

It's because when farangs go into certain girlie bars, if they wear shorts, it facilitates instant 'ball-play'. Long trousers and jeans are very restrictive in this regard.

Try it, if you haven't already.... :)

OK, the prudes amongst you may not like this, but I'll tell you the real reason.

It's because when farangs go into certain girlie bars, if they wear shorts, it facilitates instant 'ball-play'. Long trousers and jeans are very restrictive in this regard.

Is this where you found your GF? :rolleyes:

I have to tell you it is certainly not wide spread. In the small town where I live there are mostly Thai bars and a few pubs. Only 3 out of 10 do what you have suggested on a regular basis.

That was not a nice response nor was it funny and would be reason for a "Yo Momma" reply. Bad adolescent behavior. The man was simply trying to educate you. You owe him an apology IMHO. Unless you are an adolescent and in that case it would be expected.

That was not a nice response nor was it funny and would be reason for a "Yo Momma" reply. Bad adolescent behavior. The man was simply trying to educate you. You owe him an apology IMHO. Unless you are an adolescent and in that case it would be expected.

OK, mobi, :sorry:

Not sure about the education thing though. :rolleyes:

Just for the record; I went out for lunch today with a number of Thai businessmen, some independent, some working for corps (but as subcontracters not employees I think). 2 were wearing shorts and T shirt, 2 jeans with a smart casual shirt and one with jeans and some strange long sleeved rugby shirt with applique on. I was wearing jeans and a T shirt and we were ALL wearing sandals.

Why in the hell not. Probably because because its cooler and more comfortable. However i come from Queensland and would'nt dream of anything other than shorts and short sleeves except for perhaps a couple of weeks in june or for a formal occaision.

These days farangs who wear jeans/trousers at the weekends during the day are screamingly obviously english teachers (who read something on stickman a few years ago which said Thai's look down on people who wear shorts).

So i wear shorts, because i dont want to look like an english teacher.

I'm not talking about the 2-4 weeks tourists, but about long time expats who are wearing shorts an short sleeve shirts.

Why do they do this? :rolleyes:

Hi,

I have seen alot of things asked on Thai Visa, but this is the stupidest question I have ever seen.

FD :)

Yes I can't agree with you more, a total waste of ink . . . .!!

Because it's cool and comfortable :)

I invariably wear sandals (yes with socks when working), let my stinky feet breathe after they're let out of site boots.

I don't however wear shorts into town or when on business, I do always wear short sleeve shirts (and have for many years) as I just end up rolling up long sleeves anyway.

Stinky feet ! wash them more often and use some Tea tree Oil, it will kill the bacteria/fungus on your feet which produce that awful stink !