New Migration Laws,

These changes apply to those seeking to enter the UK for work; what used to be called a work permit.

They will not effect those applying to enter, or entering, the UK for settlement as a spouse, partner etc., the rules regarding work for those remain unchanged. For example a spouse will still be able to work from day one of their arrival.

In addition to the answer given by 7by7, these new restrictions aren't being put into place to stop people owning their own business though your good lady could be restricted in her choice of employees.

Not sure where you are coming from? I agree with 7by7, this will not affect spouses or CP's as they will be entitled to the same rights as now, there would be no restriction on entailment to work for them.

What this new restrictions will do is stop some one coming to the UK based on their skills as a chef or other catering experience, or other jobs as described.

Presume this is to stop say a Thai Restaurant recruiting a chef from Thailand on the basis that they could not find anyone from the local job centre who could cook authentic Thai,

assuming Lickey's wife can cook it probably would increase he prospects of employment as a chef given the popularity of Thai Restaurants in the UK.

I'm sorry BasilB I don't get your drift.

Like you I agreed with 7by7 adding that these new restrictions aren't being put in place to stop foreign nationals owning their own businesses, are we agreed so far?

I then went on to say that the OP's wife could be restricted in her choice of employees, by which I mean if she opened Thai Restaurant there might be face restrictions in employing chefs from Thailand, my view being that with the number of Thai's living in the UK, a number of whom I'm sure are trained sufficiently, she might find it difficult to convince the authorities that she needed to fly in a chef from Thailand to need her needs.

In Licky's case, it's more likely that if he and his wife did decide to relocate to the UK that she might want to open a beauty salon, in which case I suspect you would face an uphill struggle to employ somebody from Thailand. I think we are all agreed that she would be fully entitled to work or own a business in her own right.

Sorry did get the gist of your post wrong, yes, the changes will not stop the OP's wife working or owning any legit business.

As for a hairdressers or beauty salon I do not see the point of hiring just fellow Thais? If it was a Thai restaurant the there is two conflicting views the law on racism where it would be discrimination to hire on the basis of someones race, yet the reason I frequent Thai restaurants is because of the authentic food, the ambiance and friendly service which Thai's excel at, food cooked by a hairy biker from Wolverhampton, then thrown on the table by "Two Ton Tess" from Teddington is just not the same.:whistling: