Chalong Cable Tv-Internet Providers

kamelot

I have found speed tests aren't the most accurate test of your line. I have both PKK Rawai Cable/CAT internet and 3bb at my house. 3bb doesn't seem to work for a few bit torrent clients. It also has some drop outs on VOIP and Skype and times. CAT used to be pretty bad at my house that is how I ended up with two ISPs, but I think they finally replaced the server I was connecting to and it seems to work pretty well. But I'm hard on an ISP. I up and download many Gigabytes a week.... I also have an aircard that uses EDGE ( no G3 around here), as that's all that's available were I am right now. It makes me miss my high speed WiFi!

I have found speed tests aren't the most accurate test of your line. I have both PKK Rawai Cable/CAT internet and 3bb at my house. 3bb doesn't seem to work for a few bit torrent clients. It also has some drop outs on VOIP and Skype and times. CAT used to be pretty bad at my house that is how I ended up with two ISPs, but I think they finally replaced the server I was connecting to and it seems to work pretty well. But I'm hard on an ISP. I up and download many Gigabytes a week.... I also have an aircard that uses EDGE ( no G3 around here), as that's all that's available were I am right now. It makes me miss my high speed WiFi!

Some ISPs hijack the speed test by routing it to BKK. Some of the guys at the computer clinic checked the ping on a speed test apparently to San Francisco & found it must have been going at faster than the speed of light.

I have just changed from TOT to KPP in Rawai. So far not happy with it at all. Changed because TOT went days and days dropped out. Now with KPP and is massively slow. I had the techs around and they talked me into Premium upgrade, and we shook hands. I understood (but maybe not) they were going back to office to change to 10mb straight away. Today (now) 3 days later I'm getting download speed of .77mbps and upload of .48

A bit surprised I'm able to post this!!! Any advice as to who I should try next would be appreciated. Is KPP, CAT?

I have just changed from TOT to KPP in Rawai. So far not happy with it at all. Changed because TOT went days and days dropped out. Now with KPP and is massively slow. I had the techs around and they talked me into Premium upgrade, and we shook hands. I understood (but maybe not) they were going back to office to change to 10mb straight away. Today (now) 3 days later I'm getting download speed of .77mbps and upload of .48

A bit surprised I'm able to post this!!! Any advice as to who I should try next would be appreciated. Is KPP, CAT?

Yes, KPP uses CAT. They have to call them for any major problem or upgrade it seems. I don't think there is any good internet providers around Rawai. KPP always tries to talk me into their premium package, but I refuse and just kept bugging them. After a year, I seem to get decent speeds most of the time. But I did get 3bb too, so I have something that works between the two of them. What upload speed were you supposed to get? Mine is supposed to be 500 Kbps, so .48 Mbps is 480 Kbps, pretty close to what they said. I think they have just over sold the bandwidth that is available...

Yes my std package 4M/512, so upload close. Just now getting 3957kps and 472kps test on this site via Singapore. Seems about as good as it has ever been? Still not sure if the handshake meant I'm now on Premium service? Guess I should go to Kpp office to see what they have done if antthing! I'd rather not be paying the Premium fee if it's this speed right now. I'm hoping they haven't upgraded as the test results show that all's good if still on Std. Package. It's a bit frustrating when in go-slow mode though.

Yes my std package 4M/512, so upload close. Just now getting 3957kps and 472kps test on this site via Singapore. Seems about as good as it has ever been? Still not sure if the handshake meant I'm now on Premium service? Guess I should go to Kpp office to see what they have done if antthing! I'd rather not be paying the Premium fee if it's this speed right now. I'm hoping they haven't upgraded as the test results show that all's good if still on Std. Package. It's a bit frustrating when in go-slow mode though.

That is about as good as you'll get with them. But I have been running bit torrents on their service and if there are enough people sharing the same files, I have gotten over 400 KBps or over 3.2 Mbps download, usually in the middle of the night. It seems like program updates download pretty quickly too. But there are times when it is slower.... When there are more users online... Good luck, things used to be worse. TOT was the only one around and it could take a year to get a phone line installed!

You're doing well - very well - on what amounts to a domestic speed test. (The CAT Singapore connection is speedy; their international connections in general are not.) But I bet your international speeds aren't anywhere near that.

I'd be very interested in seeing what you get, using the speed test linked from the site Valentine mentioned earlier.

@Jimi007 -

The speed test we use tests just one thing - international single-client download times to San Francisco. It's reasonably replicable, but you have to understand that it doesn't test other things - ping times, or multi-client download/uploads, among many others. The big advantage is that everyone is using the same test, and we have three years of comparative data - more than 18,000 observations right now - so some analysis is possible.

Testing torrent speeds is fraught with problems. For one thing, the seeds can be all over the place - including some in Thailand. For another, some ISPs selectively throttle torrents. There are variations in the number of concurrent threads, speeds of the seeds, and so on. That said, if most of your time online is with torrents, of course it's best to seek out the best torrent ISP.

To answer the OP's question: if you check the speeds people are reporting in Rawai and around the island, you'll see that 3BB and True have the fastest speeds, and most reliable service, in general. I've heard rumors that True is either available, or about to become available, near Villa. I believe 3BB is also available in the area. It's well worth dropping by both of them to ask. Take a Thai-speaking friend and a map along with you for best results.

Edited by woodyleonhard

@Jimi007 -

The speed test we use tests just one thing - international single-client download times to San Francisco. It's reasonably replicable, but you have to understand that it doesn't test other things - ping times, or multi-client download/uploads, among many others. The big advantage is that everyone is using the same test, and we have three years of comparative data - more than 18,000 observations right now - so some analysis is possible.

Testing torrent speeds is fraught with problems. For one thing, the seeds can be all over the place - including some in Thailand. For another, some ISPs selectively throttle torrents. There are variations in the number of concurrent threads, speeds of the seeds, and so on. That said, if most of your time online is with torrents, of course it's best to seek out the best torrent ISP.

To answer the OP's question: if you check the speeds people are reporting in Rawai and around the island, you'll see that 3BB and True have the fastest speeds, and most reliable service, in general. I've heard rumors that True is either available, or about to become available, near Villa. I believe 3BB is also available in the area. It's well worth dropping by both of them to ask. Take a Thai-speaking friend and a map along with you for best results.

Woody, I understand your project... And yes 3BB does test well to the SF Speakeasy site. You forgot to mention it doesn't measure packet loss either, which is rather important when using Skype or VOIP... And yes 3BB is available in Rawai, and probably Chalong. There is a 3BB office in Kata going over the hill from Chalong it's on your left. There is also one in Central. I'm not big on 3BB's Huawei Gateway though, are you? It is cheap though! The last time I called True (a couple of months ago), their internet was not available in my area. But I saw a new large cable being run down my street, maybe it's them... I have three internet services here now, what's one more? LOL! Maybe I can find a good one and drop a few!

• 3 weeks later...

No cable only, phone 0848482486

We have called the Cable company on this Mob Nr,always saying they are coming..been waiting now for 14 days.

Do Chalong Cable have a office we can contact to get cable tv to our house?

I live in Chalong, not far from Woody's sandwich shop. (Which is not that far from Villamart)

I use PCC (Phuket Cable Company) for my cable TV. It's 350baht a month and seems pretty reliable. Dunno how it compares with other providers as TV isnt a big part of my life.

I use 3BB for my internet. It's about 800 baht a month. I'm not sure of the package exactly because when they update their speeds, i automatically get updated too. When i signed up 3 or 4 years ago, i was on 2mb/s and now i think i m on about 6mb/s.

Reliability is more important to me than overall speed and i can tell you that in 3 or 4 years, 3BB have never had any serious outages/downtimes at my house. It very occasionally drops out for an hour or so - maybe 3 times a year? Not very often anyway.

I don't get great downspeeds on t0rrentz - i think i've seen up to 250kb/s - but as Woody says, that isn't just due to 3BB.

I just downloaded a 5mb gMail attachment in less than a second.

It's fast enough to stream video.

Skype is reliable - even (usually) with video too.

I'm happy, and they slowly but consistently seem to be upgrading their speeds all the time.

I don't know if you can get this all in one package.

You can now pay the bills at the 7/eleven store.

Hope this helps.

No cable only, phone 0848482486

We have called the Cable company on this Mob Nr,always saying they are coming..been waiting now for 14 days.

Do Chalong Cable have a office we can contact to get cable tv to our house?

As far as I know there is no such entity called Chalong Cable. If you enjoy TV I suggest using KPP as they seem to have a better range of programmes than Phuket Cable. KPP office is located in Phuket Town almost opposite the Honda dealer. In another couple of months KPP are introducing digital channels which should see a much improved picture although you have to buy some kind of receiver.

• 2 weeks later...

Still Waiting for cable tv here in Chalong,Phuket cable came but no line to the house?KPP promised to come last friday but not seen them yet.

Have lived two different places in Phuket and never waited more than a day for cable tv.

Good thing is i have more time to clean the house.lol

Still Waiting for cable tv here in Chalong,Phuket cable came but no line to the house?KPP promised to come last friday but not seen them yet.

Have lived two different places in Phuket and never waited more than a day for cable tv.

Good thing is i have more time to clean the house.lol

There's not much to watch on it anyway, so you're not missing much!