Sangkha Area Information

EmilyJayne

Hello

I am 26 years old and enrolled to teach English in Thailand. My placement organization wants to place me at a school in Sangkha, in the Surin province. I was just wondering what this area is like and if anyone who lives there/has lived there would recommend it?

Key concerns are:

· Are there many other westerners?

· What is there to do during the week/weekends?

· Is it practical to visit other areas of Thailand for a weekend getaway, or is transport limited?

· Does the area have internet and phone connections?

Thanks in advance!

Emily

Greetings Emily! Just a quickie. There a number of Surin residents TV members that browse the Isaan forum regularly....I'm sure most will stop by and be glad to advise. In the meanwhile, you could read the thread in this Isaan forum titled: How Many Expats in the Sangkha Area? {OPed by luckey1979}. Could be very helpful and informative for you. Good luck towards your future endeavours.:jap:

Emily I live about 20KM from Sangkha, It is OK the area is just quite. There are places to go see other Farang, but you need transportation..... Most of us travel to Korat, Bangkok or Pattaya for things to do and good shopping. Hope I answered your questions

Are there many other westerners? No that that many, and rarely seen anymore

· What is there to do during the week/weekends? Not much, it is a typical Issan town

· Is it practical to visit other areas of Thailand for a weekend getaway, or is transport limited? they have a bus terminal there so yes travel is available

· Does the area have internet and phone connections? yes if you live in town

This rather sums up Surin. Though, there are some circles that insist Surin is a haven {and populated} for resident Farang. Per capita, quite low in numbers.

This rather sums up Surin. Though, there are some circles that insist Surin is a haven {and populated} for resident Farang. Per capita, quite low in numbers.

Have lived in Surin for more than 2 years. Plenty of Falang at local bars/restaurants and of course many at Big C and local golf courses. Per capita for resident falang ("quite low in numbers")would like to know your source for this information and how current this information is.

Not disagreeing with you as Surin does have a large population and there are Falang that only visit from time to time due to work commitments.

Majority of Falang I have met are friendly and always willing to help if you need any assistance.

Have lived in Surin for more than 2 years. Plenty of Falang at local bars/restaurants and of course many at Big C and local golf courses. Per capita for resident falang ("quite low in numbers")would like to know your source for this information and how current this information is.

Not disagreeing with you as Surin does have a large population and there are Falang that only visit from time to time due to work commitments.

Majority of Falang I have met are friendly and always willing to help if you need any assistance.

I speak of year-round residents......not the commuter types. There simply aren't that many everyday, year-round resident Farang in Surin. Sure, most will quote the officialdom of immigration dept. {which accounts for the wannabes} numbers and view the very-small number of Farang establishments that are concentrated in Muang......in reality, there aren't that many bars/restaurant that cater to Farang, because there is not a year-round market. Personally, I could run into less Farang at Surin Plaza, Big C, Lotus, et al than I might anywhere else. 2 years is nothing when viewing what Surin was like some 15-20 years ago. A Farang-free paradise. That's why many of us prefer to live as far in the isolated countryside, as we do.