Work Permit

Hi

I do not know, if this topic is covered before,

I used to work with a company till end of Dec 2010. But employment terminated since then. Company did not ask my WP back. ( it was me who did all the paper work and WP job since HR did not know anything, company supported me with doc and fee) Still use B visa to stay. also got 90 days stamp in Jan 2011. is my visa stil valid until WP is surrendered?

and if i get another job, can i use same WP under Different company name and change it legally?

Thank you

A work permit only allows you to work for the in the work permit mentioned company.

When your employment ends you need to cancel your work permit. If you are on an extension of stay from immirgation, that needs to be cancelled too. (Not if you are on a valid multiple non-B and leave the country every 90 days). Your permission to stay in Thailand ends the same day you end your employment. You are now on overstay.

Legally?

There appears to be a couple of issues. Did you get an extension of stay from Immigration based upon employment? If so, then technically you have been in Thailand illegally since the last day of your employment (or the day after).

If however, you are on a non-imm multiple entry visa and making 90 day border runs then you are here legally. Your WP should be cancelled the day your employment ends (your WP is no longer valid after you leave employment, regardless of it being in your possession or not.)

All of this is 100% subject to correction by the folks like Mario, Litebeer. and particularly Lop3 .. they know far more about the ins and outs of the system than I do!

edit -- I see Mario beet me to it ...

Edited by jdinasia

We really do not know for sure what he got in January as many people call there 90 day address reporting 90 day stamps.

Exactly, which is why I tried to cover it both ways.

side-note --- sent an employee out to do my 90 day reporting today. He actually enjoys the trip and it took him 5 mins at Immigration today.

We really do not know for sure what he got in January as many people call there 90 day address reporting 90 day stamps.

side-note --- sent an employee out to do my 90 day reporting today. He actually enjoys the trip and it took him 5 mins at Immigration today.

I got 90 days reporting done on jan 2011, it means if the company has not notified the immigration i can still use the same visa until i find another job? any my visa is valid unil oct 2011 M-entry

Edited by bsssboy

I got 90 days reporting done on jan 2011, it means if the company has not notified the immigration i can still use the same visa until i find another job?

It means that legally you are in the country on overstay at a rate of 500 Baht/day. It is YOUR responsibility to inform Immigration when your reason for extension is no longer valid. You may get away with staying around, or you may get in trouble when your tax payments etc do not all match up.

(again subject to correction from Lop and the rest!)

I got 90 days reporting done on jan 2011, it means if the company has not notified the immigration i can still use the same visa until i find another job?

It means that legally you are in the country on overstay at a rate of 500 Baht/day. It is YOUR responsibility to inform Immigration when your reason for extension is no longer valid. You may get away with staying around, or you may get in trouble when your tax payments etc do not all match up.

(again subject to correction from Lop and the rest!)

so the only option i have is to cancel my visa and get out of country and come in with a new visa?

is there any way i can keep my present visa. ?

so the only option i have is to cancel my visa and get out of country and come in with a new visa?

AND

any my visa is valid unil oct 2011 M-entry

Are you sure? If your original visa is still valid (not expired), then all you need to do is a border run and get a 90 day entry stamp.

Edited by InterestedObserver

AND

any my visa is valid unil oct 2011 M-entry

Are you sure? If your original visa is still valid (not expired), then all you need to do is a border run and get another 90 day entry stamp.

Concur ---

I'll let Lopburi3 or Mario or Lite (etc) make the suggestion of the steps to take.

My immediate reaction would be to book a flight RT anywhere and then run to Immigration and tell them you stopped working at that job and fly that day. (If you can avoid telling them WHEN you left the job it might be a good thing to avoid -- since your permission to stay ended that day (no grace period))

You can then make border runs every 90 days until you qualify for a new extended permission to stay (from work/marraige/retirement etc)

Best advise will be to get oout of dodge and return on a tourist visa to look for work.

You seem to ask if immigration or labour will notice you are not working anymore? At this moment that is unlikely, unless someone informs them. But when the time comes when you find a new employer both immirgaiton and labour will start looking for when you ended your employment with your old employer and then you will have some explaining to do.....