Waves In Thailand

haiku

Hello All,

I going to be traveling in Thailand for the next few years and was wondering about surfable beaches in or around Phuket. Is there such a thing? I’m trying to decide weather to bring along my Boogie Board. Thanks for any help.

Haiku :o

i think i remember pretty good waves in aug and sept, maybe oct in kamala when i lived there...but i'm not a surfer dude, so i dont know if they were suitable...i do remember it was ###### getting a boogie board out past them to get a ride in...

Afternoons tend to be bigger than mornings for some reason.

High waters.

Best time IMO is mornings and evenings. Bestest time is evenings around 5.30pm. Play for an hour or so, relax in water watching the sunset, then get out of water and head straight to the nearest fridge for a cold beer. Ahh.. life is good. :o

Best time is nearly always incoming tide.. Ideally light offshore winds and incoming tide..

Tide tables available on Phuket gazette.. I do seem to see better action on Kalim reef at the tide peak than at the low but that is probably a local phenomenon dude to reef structure..

Kalim breaks does sorta break from the point so you have a rideable wave over distance but as pointed out its not a sandbreak so take care.. Reef booties and even a helmet are advisable perhaps..