Beauty Question

bhoydy

Beauty is something of an obsession for some people, but what if it is something you cannot see. My example is that i want to say - That was a beautiful speech - Would we use the same term of beauty in Thai or is there a better word?

การพูดในวันงานศพสวยมาก

or

ประศรัยในวันงานศพสวยงามจริงๆ

Any ideas?

I think สะเทือนใจ is disturbed, not touched. I would say ซึ้งใจ

I think it's ok for the context i was looking for it in, i asked a friend before i used it and he said it was the correct usage for a funeral speech. Like to feel emotional sorrow.

Thanks for the other offering.

I think it's ok for the context i was looking for it in, i asked a friend before i used it and he said it was the correct usage for a funeral speech. Like to feel emotional sorrow.

Hi bhoydy,

สะเทือนใจ is not a right word in this situation, it's normally use when something bad happened, like when you read the news about someone has been murdered then it makes you สะเทือนใจ.

If you say "สะเทือนใจกับการพูดในวันงานศพ " it would comes off as you feel offended by the speaker. I would use mikenyork's suggestion "ซาบซึ้งใจ"as in "ผมรู้สึกซาบซึ้งใจกับการพูดในวันงานศพ" (I'm deeply impressed with the speech at the funeral) or "นั่นเป็นการกล่าวคำปราศัยที่เหมาะสมที่สุดในวันงานศพ" (That was the most appropriate speech at the funeral):jap:

Ok, I think สะเทือนใจ means to get “all choked up”. This is where I learned

that word. I had to search for it to refresh my memory. Nothing to do with beauty.

"พ่อเธอเป็นอะไรตาย" ท่านพระครูถามขึ้น นายบัวเฮียวนิ่งไปพักใหญ่ ๆ เมื่อถูกถามเรื่องที่ทำให้สะเทือนใจ ในที่สุด จึงเล่าให้ท่านฟังว่า "พ่อถูกแม่แทงตายครับ

“how did your father die?” asked the teacher. Mr. Bua Hio became still for a while.

The question choked him up. In the end he told him that “father was stabbed to death by

my mother”.

Ok sorry MikeinYork and thank you a51mas and mikeinyork. The people i spoke to, one of whom is a teacher said that they both had the same meaning or maybe i misunderstood but i did ask them ถ้าผมปรัทับใจในเรื่องการพูดที่งานศพ ใช้คำสะเทือนใจกับคนที่พูดได้ไหม -maybe i was misunderstood

Oh well live and learn, apology has been sent to the recipient already :jap:

What about ' ประทับใจ ' bpra thap jai, which also means impressed, can we alao use it in the above context? Thanks

It seems that you should be able to, but "ประทับใจ" has always been ties to happy occasion, and a funeral is not a happy occasion, example:

ประทับใจ when you like actor that gives an exceptional performance in a movie, see someone with beautiful smile or you date someone and the person gives a good impression :D or after reading a good book..... ETC.:jap:

Hi bhoydy,

สะเทือนใจ is not a right word in this situation, it's normally use when something bad happened, like when you read the news about someone has been murdered then it makes you สะเทือนใจ.

If you say "สะเทือนใจกับการพูดในวันงานศพ " it would comes off as you feel offended by the speaker. I would use mikenyork's suggestion "ซาบซึ้งใจ"as in "ผมรู้สึกซาบซึ้งใจกับการพูดในวันงานศพ" (I'm deeply impressed with the speech at the funeral) or "นั่นเป็นการกล่าวคำปราศัยที่เหมาะสมที่สุดในวันงานศพ" (That was the most appropriate speech at the funeral):jap:

๋ีJust to go back to this. I've been having further discussions about this today and you are definitely right that ซาบซึ้งใจ is the right word for what i was trying to say, as in impressed by the speech. However, my friends, a couple of them teachers, have said that สะเทือนใจ would also be appropriate to say in the situation. Although it would not get the meaning that i intended, it also would not offend. Everyone was in agreement that it expresses emotional sorrow or sadness which is what i think you get from a good speech at a funeral. Can you tell me why you think สะเทือนใจ would be offensive?

Many thanks