Jackie Gleason The Honymooners

johnmcc6

Some years ago I received a full set of the honeymooners t v show on tape. Is there a place in Chiang Mai where I can get them copied from tape to disc ? Or where I can get a new or second hand V C R that can play the American format?

These are great fun to watch as most everyone who has seen Jackie Gleason in this series would agree. I have searched most of the electronic stores to buy a new V C R /Disc recorder here but have been told they don't sell them in Thailand? Any help greatly appreciated.

2 years ago I had the same problem. I have many racquetball tapes that I was unable to view. I finally found an expat that was welling to sell his VCR to me along with more than a hundred tapes of movies. It was a package deal so there was no way of avoiding buying all of the tapes which I'll never watch. Anyway it was worth it to get the VCR. Perhaps someone reading this will have one for sale. Good luck.

Yes, good luck indeed - what a GREAT show that was and each character perfect.

The Jackie Gleason character, through humor, legitimized wife-abuse for a generation of Americans. God only knows how many wife-abusers felt justified in sending their brides "to the moon" as if they were chattel. :annoyed:

Edited by Fookhaht

The Jackie Gleason character, through humor, legitimized wife-abuse for a generation of Americans. God only knows how many wife-abusers felt justified in sending their brides "to the moon" as if they were chattel. :annoyed:

I disagree. Alice Kramden, the character brilliantly played by Audrey Meadows, was in complete control of the household and her husband played by Jackie Gleason. There was no abuse, not even a hint of abuse. True spousal abuse is never funny, and there is absolutely no control exercised by the abuse victim.

The Honeymooners responsible for wife beating in the USA?

I never knew that, I thought it was alcoholism, poverty, drunkenness, drug abuse, poor impulse control, psychopathology, low self esteem, borderline personality etc.......The Honeymooners eh?....... Wow!

Edited by uptheos

...not even a hint of abuse...

Oh really? blink.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbCv6b96OK0

...not even a hint of abuse...

Oh really? blink.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbCv6b96OK0

That's comedy. Abuse can never be funny. If that's abuse, whose the victim? You are way off base.

That's comedy. Abuse can never be funny. If that's abuse, whose the victim? You are way off base.

Comedy is routinely used to legitimize social evils: alcoholism, racism, discrimination based on sex/religion/handicaps. Ralph Crandon was just another example--only in the spousal abuse department. If you can laugh at something you'd normally be repulsed at, then you've lowered your moral guard just one more notch. Enough repetition will lower the bar enough to act on it. An unavoidable human trait.

Ralf Cramden was a simple big mouth with equally big heart...everything he did was met with good intention but we knew it would fail and be left to Alice to clean up or forgive. When he was giving her one of his famous rants of to the moon she would just look him in the eye and silence him with a line about his waist being as big as his mouth. Was that somehow abuse from her? Come on. This show was funny full stop. How many abusive men would end with .. "Baby...Your the greatest ?

Only the Politically Correct Brigade here at Thai Visa could turn the OP's simple request for a TV show into a referendum on spousal abuse :jerk:

• 1 month later...

Ralf Cramden was a simple big mouth with equally big heart...everything he did was met with good intention but we knew it would fail and be left to Alice to clean up or forgive. When he was giving her one of his famous rants of to the moon she would just look him in the eye and silence him with a line about his waist being as big as his mouth. Was that somehow abuse from her? Come on. This show was funny full stop. How many abusive men would end with .. "Baby...Your the greatest ?

Point well-taken! jap.gif

The Jackie Gleason character, through humor, legitimized wife-abuse for a generation of Americans. God only knows how many wife-abusers felt justified in sending their brides "to the moon" as if they were chattel.

If he ever actually hit her, you might have a point. :whistling: