Ngv Service Centre / Proton Dealership Chonburi

Jonny B

i went to the ngv service centre yesterday which is also a proton dealership, in chonburi to just get a tune of the ngv. The service guy calls my g.f about 30 minutes later saying we need a new filter and pipe as it was cracked, he said its normally 3000 baht but he would do it for 2000 and just pay him directly not the service centre, soon as i hear this i know its dodgy. I headed back to check it out, the pips they said needed changing had a couple little scratches in it and im sure could be bought for 100 baht or so. The service team were all standing around with smirks on their face and talking to me like an idiot and were so supprised when i said i wouldnt be doing it, im sure they thought they'd just caught a nice big fish. I took it to another mechanic that i trust straight after and showed him, he said neither items needed changing and unless anything is not functioning properly then just leave it be, basically unless its broke dont fix it, so after that im positive they were trying to scam me. besides 3000 baht for a filter and a piece of pipe! c'mon.

anyway just a heads up for anyone who is thinking of going there, the shop is located on sukhamvit road between the new central chonburi mall and tesco lotus on the opposite side of the road.

I'm glad they didn't con you, tradesmen from hell are world wide. It's even more serious when they operate out of name establishments like Proton. Perhaps if your someone were to notify head office and give the name or rank of the perpetrater it would send out a strong message, and given he has a crowd of workers observing him, it might reduce the chances of it happening again if he faces some consequences for his behaviour.

Anyhoo, the important thing is he didn't rob you, which is really what he was trying to do, there's no polite way to put it.

yeah, it sucks when u get robbed by these sort of people, im glad we didnt fall for it, i know my wife wouldve believed them had i not of said so glad about that nway.

yeah wasnt sure whether to tell someone there or not, wife said not to bother so...

Not trying to be an apologist as lord knows I've no confidence in the mechanics here but "if it ain't broke don't fix it" doesn't apply well with parts maintenance on cars though, only the Thai engineering techniques they consistently apply over the original factory engineering. Items such as tie wire to reattach a broken throttle or clutch cable for example instead of replacing it...

This is especially true if it may be a GAS related fitting or something. Your description of the actual part/parts tells us nothing of it's need or purpose but if it is related to the gas system could be a serious problem they were trying to avert. If for example those "scratches" you refer to are dry rotted hoses that are about to fracture and leak gas, you maybe in for a barbecue featuring at minimum your car but worse case someone you love or yourself as the main course..

The price of the parts is directly related to the type and model of car or gas system and being Thailand has nothing to do with your impressions of what it SHOULD cost in this case, no way to tell since you haven't mentioned make or anything and no proper parts descriptions..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Not trying to be an apologist as lord knows I've no confidence in the mechanics here but "if it ain't broke don't fix it" doesn't apply well with parts maintenance on cars though, only the Thai engineering techniques they consistently apply over the original factory engineering. Items such as tie wire to reattach a broken throttle or clutch cable for example instead of replacing it...

This is especially true if it may be a GAS related fitting or something. Your description of the actual part/parts tells us nothing of it's need or purpose but if it is related to the gas system could be a serious problem they were trying to avert. If for example those "scratches" you refer to are dry rotted hoses that are about to fracture and leak gas, you maybe in for a barbecue featuring at minimum your car but worse case someone you love or yourself as the main course..

The price of the parts is directly related to the type and model of car or gas system and being Thailand has nothing to do with your impressions of what it SHOULD cost in this case, no way to tell since you haven't mentioned make or anything and no proper parts descriptions..

hey warpspeed, i understand what you mean and i dont want to put anyobodies life in danger but sometimes u just know when ur getting ripped off and this was one of them, so just trying to warn others incase they go there double check what they tell. not sure if you know the gas system well then but ive attached a couple pics of the pipe, the white arrows point to the pipe and it joins that little black box top right of the pic, the 2nd pic shows the cracks, ive tested them to see if any air/gas comes out and nothing does, they seem very deep at all.

post-36585-0-84509600-1300440810_thumb.j

post-36585-0-01399600-1300440820_thumb.j

hey warpspeed, i understand what you mean and i dont want to put anyobodies life in danger but sometimes u just know when ur getting ripped off and this was one of them, so just trying to warn others incase they go there double check what they tell. not sure if you know the gas system well then but ive attached a couple pics of the pipe, the white arrows point to the pipe and it joins that little black box top right of the pic, the 2nd pic shows the cracks, ive tested them to see if any air/gas comes out and nothing does, they seem very deep at all.

Yep those aren't scratches there John, they're serious dry rot that is penetrating the hose and are close to rupturing when they go it will be like a tire blow out only with he possibility of a flammable gas and when you least expect it and at the worst possible time.. Definitely "if ain't broke don't fix it" does not apply..

Caused by Ozone production and high heat breaking down the rubbers properties..

I can't tell from that model if it's the gas solenoid control valve or the Lambda control system but one carries gas and the other doesn't but both are critical to proper safe operation..

Again I can't tell how extensive the replacement necessary (read how many hoses or length in total) but if one shows such deterioration then they all should be replaced accordingly so again I can't comment on the cost but one small hose is not likely the entire job quoted..

Edited by WarpSpeed

cheers mate, checked the other hoses and they all seem fine, this hose seems to be independant of the others and just runs from that box to other connection, not very long. nway will double check at the mechanic with misses 2morro to be sure, wouldnt want her having problems while im away.

cheers mate

JonnyB - sorry this is off topic but can I ask how many kms you have been running CNG and have you had any running or engine problems? I've read valve seat resession can occur on honda engines so just interested. Thanks..

cheers mate, checked the other hoses and they all seem fine, this hose seems to be independant of the others and just runs from that box to other connection, not very long. nway will double check at the mechanic with misses 2morro to be sure, wouldnt want her having problems while im away.

cheers mate

Hope it helps, next time come here and post some pictures first and there is likely to be someone who can give you some advice before you go in..

cheers mate

Hope it helps, next time come here and post some pictures first and there is likely to be someone who can give you some advice before you go in..

yeah cheers will do mate, thanks for that.

JonnyB - sorry this is off topic but can I ask how many kms you have been running CNG and have you had any running or engine problems? I've read valve seat resession can occur on honda engines so just interested. Thanks..

hey culicine, im not too sure but i know its alot, il try and find our instalation papers and see if it says but i think at least 100,000. Nah havnt had any problems with it at all, the car was shaking and stalling not to long ago and after changing the spark plugs and adjusting some valve thing its been fine so i guess it had nothing to do with the gas, apart from that nothing else really. hope it helps.

hey culicine, im not too sure but i know its alot, il try and find our instalation papers and see if it says but i think at least 100,000. Nah havnt had any problems with it at all, the car was shaking and stalling not to long ago and after changing the spark plugs and adjusting some valve thing its been fine so i guess it had nothing to do with the gas, apart from that nothing else really. hope it helps.

Thanks mate; yeah the plugs (did you use lpg/chg plugs) and adjusting the valve clearances are very important. Did the cng fitters do the valve clearances? Do you know if you use a "flashlube" kit? That will help with protecting the valves, apparently. Crossed fingers you won't won't have too many problems. Enjoy the savings I say:)

Thanks mate; yeah the plugs (did you use lpg/chg plugs) and adjusting the valve clearances are very important. Did the cng fitters do the valve clearances? Do you know if you use a "flashlube" kit? That will help with protecting the valves, apparently. Crossed fingers you won't won't have too many problems. Enjoy the savings I say:)

sorry mate i cant remember which plugs i used but i dont think they were anything special, just the ones the shop has there, it wasnt a specific ngv service centre so i presume they were just standard ones. The shop i had do the valve clearances was just a local mechanic who also does gas instalation but not the shop i got the gas installed at, was only 400 baht for that and i watched them do it but not sure whats the flash lube kit? he did use some lubricant but only to seal the cover (not sure what u call it) back on.

went back today to check those pipes as i dont think he really saw the cracks before, he said its not terribly urgent but can change them to be safe and would be less than 1000 baht, so still alot less than the service centre.

yeah the savings have definately been worth it for us and dont regret doing it at all.

cheers

Hi JonnieB - The flashlube kit helps to lubricate the valves and valve seats. I've heard the valves in hondas are softer than in some other makes and this is supposed to help protect them. But as you haven't had too many problems maybe it isn't too necessary for you. You can do a search on the net on 'flashlube' and will find loads of hits. You can also get it here in Thailand. Whether you want the added expense now is another question though. Did the mechanic comment on the state of your cylinder head? He adjusted them so he must have had a look. It's good to hear you haven't had too many problems. Just keep it well tuned (if it runs too lean it will accelerate valve wear) and I reckon I'd fix those hoses too when you can:)