Honda City Type Z - Acceleration Problem

Sheryl

It's a 2002 Honda City Type Z with manual transmission, only about 110,000 km on her.

I recently let the fuel ran almost completely empty (1st time I have ever done that), probably got to the gas station with not more than a few hundred meters to spare. Ever since then, I have been having acceleration problems. Previously none at all, it ramped up like a charm and I could go from 1st gear virtually into 5th in a flash.

Now, it is very slow to accelerate and keeps making the revving type noise you get when you are in too low a gear for your speed -- but up-shifting doesn't help. After some time it eventually ramps up to speed but it takes quite a while.

It is mainly an annoyance for bacjk country driving but will be downright dangerous on highways, of which I need to do a lot.

Any thoughts as to what it is? I am assuming it has something to do with my letting the fuel run so low, since it started immediately thereafter, altho I guess could be coincidence.

Appreciate advice!

The cheapest thing to try first to fix it could be to add a cleaning additive to the fuel to hopefully clean out the dirty fuel from the pump when you nearly ran dry. I don't know what is available on the market in Thailand but something like this:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_189140_langId_-1_categoryId_165750

maybe someone can advise the best product to buy in Thailand

cheers

กรองน้ำมัน that's oil filter

กรองน้ำมันเชื้อเพลิง = fuel filter

Change it yourself if you want but I would recommend taking it to cockpit or some outfit like that.

Most places say filter in English they usually understand that word.

Try the filter first but maybe just coincidence, what you're describing sounds more like slipping clutch to me. If your filter was blocked it would rev lower not higher and sputter as it wouldn't be getting fuel. A 2002 may be time for a new one (clutch I mean) if it hasn't been done recently..

Don't hate me for saying this but ladies have a tendency to be hard on them holding them too long or leaving your foot resting on the peddle.

Having said that depending on your actual mileage being a 2002 if not replaced previously you got good use out of it and timing is about right..

Edit: The technician at a B-Quick or other should be able to tell you pretty quickly without changing the filter first if it is a clutch or filter, the difference is pretty telling to a mechanic..

DUH! I see the mileage now, yes as you found out time for a clutch..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Not out where I am, they don't! :whistling: I go through that every time I get the oil changed.

but indeed, glang kawng ben-zeen did the trick

In terms of getting the fuel filter, that is. Unfortunately, although there was a bit of sludge so it was probably a good idea to change it,didn't solve the problem which proved to be, alas, as Warp Speed suggested -- a burned out clutch plate. So 9 hours in the shop and 6,000 baht poorer, it's now running fine

And my Thai vocab for matters car has increased by 2 phrases :)

Thanks all

BTW Warp Speed, didn't realize it was a female trait, but I'm guilty as charged (re a tendency to ride the clutch a bit)...

Not out where I am, they don't! :whistling: I go through that every time I get the oil changed.

In terms of getting the fuekl filter, that ios.nfortunately, although there was a bit of sludge so it was probably a good idea to change it,didn't solve the problem which proved to be, alas, a burned out clutch plate. So 9 hours in the shop and 6,000 baht poorer, it's now running fine

Thanks all

Oops sorry to hear that, but I suspected as much... Glad you got it worked out..

Edited by WarpSpeed

In terms of getting the fuel filter, that is. Unfortunately, although there was a bit of sludge so it was probably a good idea to change it,didn't solve the problem which proved to be, alas, as Warp Speed suggested -- a burned out clutch plate. So 9 hours in the shop and 6,000 baht poorer, it's now running fine

Thanks all

BTW Warp Speed, didn't realize it was a female trait, but I'm guilty as charged (re a tendency to ride the clutch a bit)...

Well not exclusively female :) some men are a bit too in touch with their female side and do it quite often as well ;) .. Seriously though from a professional mechanics point of view though knowing that sort of thing does help in diagnoses just as habits or traits help in medical cases as well so that's where it comes from, it isn't intended to be any type of disparaging remark against women..

On a side note Sheryl, I know your not the mod here but could you pin this thread for posterity??? :lol: It's certain it'll come into play again the future :) ...

Edited by WarpSpeed