Thai Font On Htc Wildfire

siam58

I have two HTC Wildfire smartphones. Both on emails and websites with Thai fonts, I get only empty rectangles instead of the Thai letters.

What shall I do to get Thai letters displayed?

Both smartphones are branded (D2, 1&1). Is there an udpate or App for Thai fonts or do I have to de-brand the smartphones?

Anybody else with HTC Wildfires without Thai letters?

Edited by siam58

What version of Android are you running? If it is an older version you need to load Thai fonts onto the device. Do to that you will need ADB access. Do you know what this is? If yes you I can give you a link for the fonts that you just overwrite into /system/fonts on your device and reboot.

I cannot post the download link right now as I am having trouble connecting to any sites outside of Thailand. I host files on MediaFire and cannot access it right now. I don't know if it is just me or True DSL is zonked out tonight. Only websites in Thailand are responding.

What version of Android are you running? If it is an older version you need to load Thai fonts onto the device. Do to that you will need ADB access. Do you know what this is? If yes you I can give you a link for the fonts that you just overwrite into /system/fonts on your device and reboot.

[...]

I have Android 2.2.1 installed. No, I don't have experience with ADB access, so I need a step-by-step instruction. If the problem is solved just by overwriting fonts, that would be great...

[...]

I have Android 2.2.1 installed. No, I don't have experience with ADB access, so I need a step-by-step instruction. If the problem is solved just by overwriting fonts, that would be great...

If you have 2.2.1 there is an easier fix. There is one font you simply need to add to your font directory. If your phone is rooted you can use a program like root explorer and just copy it from your sdcard to your /system/font folder. Here is a link to the font.

Thai font for Android 2.2 and 2.3

Edited by jackbox

You don't need that. Just need to install the Thai font for displaying Thai script, and there are many free Thai keyboards in the Android Market. You have to pay for the CN stuff if it isn't preinstalled on your device. The preisntalled apks are protected for that model of phone only.

I guess VodafoneD2 and 1und1 have their own versions of Android 2.2 for the HTC Desire sans Thai fonts. This makes sense as they have to support the product in Germany so they probably want to have everyone on their version.

There are several options:

1.) Flash a new, generic HTC ROM version of 2.2.1

2.) Flash a custom ROM which has Thai fonts.

3.) Push the DroidSans Thai fonts onto the phone.

All of these options have the potential, albeit miniscule, to seriously damage your phone, and will obviously void any warranty.

You can do this yourself, or maybe just pop in to a mobile concourse, found in any mall in Thailand, and ask around if they can help you.

http://nexusonehacks.net/android-hacks/droid-hack-how-to-install-thai-font-on-droid/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=549022

http://sunpech.blogspot.com/2010/08/installing-thai-fonts-onto-android.html

I used adb commands to first create the required subdirectories, and then 'push' the six (6) .ttf files (from DroidSans) from my PC to my phone. My stumbling point was that I needed to create the subdirectories first as they did not exist on my phone, though they may on some/most models.

It can be a complex process: unlock, root, install PC drivers, connect phone, mount phone, install Android SDK, get the fonts, create the subdirectory, copy (aka push) the six ttf files from your PC to your phone.

You don't need that. Just need to install the Thai font for displaying Thai script, and there are many free Thai keyboards in the Android Market. You have to pay for the CN stuff if it isn't preinstalled on your device. The preisntalled apks are protected for that model of phone only.

Yes that's true, the o/p doesn't say where the phones were purchased. If in Thailand the CN products may be available to install freely, at least that happened in my case for another model HTC phone.

Yes that's true, the o/p doesn't say where the phones were purchased. If in Thailand the CN products may be available to install freely, at least that happened in my case for another model HTC phone.

I looked around for CN Thai Suite for Android and only got links where you have to pay for the download.

To make things clear, I purchased both HTC Wildfires in Germany (D2 and 1&1 are German mobile companies and seem to have created their own version of Android 2.2.1 on my smartphones).

Is it at all technically possible in my case to install the CN Thai Suite on an HTC bought in Germany and branded?

Option 3.) of Iomatopo would be the most interesting option. However, is Android SDK available for Windows XP?

I don't think that just installing a Thai keyboard would show Thai fonts.

Edited by siam58

Android SDK is available for Windows.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

It works fine for me, Win7/64.

But if you read the links I provided you’ll see you can push the DroidSans Thai fonts onto your phone by just using the phone, or by using a PC.

I pushed the fonts successfully using the SDK from my PC. After that I could display Thai fonts (before that I could only see boxes, triangles, etc.)

Then you can add a Thai keyboard, many free ones in the Market, to originate Thai script (SMS, Web). Then add Google Translate. The 1-button SMS translation, any <-> any, is very handy.

If you are in Thailand it might be easiest to pop in a mobile shop and find someone to do this for you. It should take less than 5 minutes and cost less than 250 baht.

Edited by lomatopo

I looked around for CN Thai Suite for Android and only got links where you have to pay for the download.

To make things clear, I purchased both HTC Wildfires in Germany (D2 and 1&1 are German mobile companies and seem to have created their own version of Android 2.2.1 on my smartphones).

Is it at all technically possible in my case to install the CN Thai Suite on an HTC bought in Germany and branded?

Option 3.) of Iomatopo would be the most interesting option. However, is Android SDK available for Windows XP?

I don't think that just installing a Thai keyboard would show Thai fonts.

If bought in Germany probably out of luck on CN freebies, I got mine from the HTC Thailand support web site where they offer this, included in Thai phone prices..

FWIW, I couldn't find Root Explorer in the Market, I think it may be a paid application which presents another set of issues for us in Thailand. I was able to locate the apk, and side-loaded (installed) using adb install. Anyway, the OP has plenty of options, including several step-by-steps. If I could figure it out, and do it successfully, I suspect the OP can as well.

Here is a link to the DroidSans Thai Fonts --> https://sites.google.com/site/ohmrefresh/fonts.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

from... http://www.droidsans.com/node/1279

contains six (6) ttf files

DroidSans.ttf

DroidSans-Bold.ttf

DroidSerif-Bold.ttf

DroidSerif-BoldItalic.ttf

DroidSerif-Italic.ttf

DroidSerif-Regular.ttf

If you are running Android 2.2 or 2.3 you don't use the fonts found on the Thai DroidSans website. Those fonts are for Android 2.1 and below. FroYo and Gingerbread use a different system where there is one extra font for foreign scripts such as Thai and Hebrew. All you need to do is install one file that contains the Thai script support to the font directory on your Wildfire. Your device will need to be rooted for you to add the font. Just copy the font to your sdcard and use root explorer to drop the font into the "system/font" directory. You will need to press the button to turn on "R/W" on Root Explorer. It is a free app but not in the Android Market. Here is the font and root explorer. Install the root explorer apk and then copy the font over. If you are not rooted this will not help you. After you copy the font over reboot your phone and it will no display Thai fonts. You can also download a free Thai keyboard from the Android Market if you want to input Thai text also.

Download link for Thai 2.2 font and Root Explorer in a zip file: http://www.mediafire.com/?i461dctz4592bow

Edited by jackbox

[...] All you need to do is install one file that contains the Thai script support to the font directory on your Wildfire. [...]

Thanks for the link with the zip file and the explanation. I will try it and let you know how it worked.

Oops, I didn't realize how hard it can be to root an HTC device. For my phone I used a program called "One-click Root" and was done in ~ 30 sec.

Maybe have a read through this --> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=788776

And go to http://unrevoked.com/#wildfire

I still say you could get this done at a mobile phone repair stand in a few minutes, certainly less time than you've probably spent so far?

Oops, I didn't realize how hard it can be to root an HTC device. For my phone I used a program called "One-click Root" and was done in ~ 30 sec.

Maybe have a read through this --> http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=788776

And go to http://unrevoked.com/#wildfire

I still say you could get this done at a mobile phone repair stand in a few minutes, certainly less time than you've probably spent so far?

Your link confirmed my assumption that rooting a Wildfire with Android 2.2.1 is at present not possible. You first have to downgrade which is not an option for me.

Do you mean a phone repair stand in Bangkok? If yes, that would not help me now, since I am in Germany now and would like to read e-mails in Thai now. Will be in Thailand only in a few months, though.

It seems that rooting a HTC Wildire with Android 2.2.1

is not (yet) possible. Soft root would be enough? That seems to be possible.

Try this.

http://www.gadgetsdn...oid-phone/4499/

Thanks for the link, but htis will

1. wipe my device

2. eliminate all branding with their provider-supplied apps

3. install a complete new ROM

As I simply want to push a file (with the Thai fonts) into a specific directory on the smartphone, I don't think that much effort is worth it. There must be a simpler way.

I want to read Thai letters keeping Android 2.2.1 and all the apps and data.

I read in another forum that Soft Root is not enough because I have to write onto a special secured area (directory system/font). And "Hard" Root isn't available for Android 2.2.1.

Edited by siam58

Is you bootloader unlocked? If so you can possibly go into Fastboot mode on the Wildfire. In Fastboot mode you could flash a clockwork recovery image, then boot into recovery without rebooting into Android and flash ChainDD's superuser.apk and su that will root the phone. Then you reboot it and the OS will automatically reflash the stock recovery image upon booting. If this is possible it would be a similar process to how I rooted my Nexus One. If the bootloader is locked then you would have to do a Fastboot OEM unlock first, but this wipes all the data in the phone. I wouldn't trust any of the guys at MBK or Fortune to do it. Often they don't know what they are doing, tell you they can and proceed to muck up the device.

Here is how I did it for my Nexus One I just got second hand from the USA.

http://mindmirror007.blogspot.com/2011/03/guide-procedure-to-root-android-233.html

This is not the exact procedure for your device but it gives you an idea on how it can be done.

The clockwork recovery for your device is here:

http://mirrorbrain.cyanogenmod.com/cm/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-2.5.0.7-buzz.zip

Good luck.

I don't think that much effort is worth it. There must be a simpler way.

I want to read Thai letters keeping Android 2.2.1 and all the apps and data.

Thanks for finally sharing all the details re: your requirements and location. Knowing that initially would have made things a bit easier.

You should probably go to VodafoneD2 and 1und1 and tell them what you require. Maybe also ask them if the could install that one Thai font in the required directory for you. It seems like a reasonable request. You might also poke around some German Android websites?

Are you sure your Wildfire is running 2.2 and not 2.1. Every phone I have updated to 2.2 included the file for Thai fonts. It is a standard part of the Android build from 2.2 onwards. It is hard to believe it was removed when HTC compiled the ROM. There is really no reason to do that. I just updated another brand of phone from 2.1 to stock 2.2 (AT&T Captivate version of the Galaxy S). Before the update it was on 2.1 and didn't support Thai fonts. After the update to 2.2 it supported Thai fonts without any modifications. Can you take a photo of your About Phone screen where it shows the Android version and Kernel and post it please. On HTC's website the Wildfire is listed as 2.1 device. Did you upgrade it to 2.2 after you bought it?

Edited by jackbox

Are you sure your Wildfire is running 2.2 and not 2.1. Every phone I have updated to 2.2 included the file for Thai fonts. It is a standard part of the Android build from 2.2 onwards. It is hard to believe it was removed when HTC compiled the ROM. There is really no reason to do that. I just updated another brand of phone from 2.1 to stock 2.2 (AT&T Captivate version of the Galaxy S). Before the update it was on 2.1 and didn't support Thai fonts. After the update to 2.2 it supported Thai fonts without any modifications. Can you take a photo of your About Phone screen where it shows the Android version and Kernel and post it please. On HTC's website the Wildfire is listed as 2.1 device. Did you upgrade it to 2.2 after you bought it?

When I bought the smartphone, it had Android 2.1. Then I read in the Internet forums that with the update to 2.2, I would be able to read Thai fonts. So I looked forward for the update to come. Finally, in December 2010, I got the update message and did the update to 2.2.1. However, I was so disappointed that even with the update to 2.2.1, I was not able to read Thai fonts.

I have attached the requested screen photo.

v7b59y05qaxpoodbhsac_thumb.jpg

That's why I asked in this forum for help.

When I bought the smartphone, it had Android 2.1. Then I read in the Internet forums that with the update to 2.2, I would be able to read Thai fonts. So I looked forward for the update to come. Finally, in December 2010, I got the update message and did the update to 2.2.1. However, I was so disappointed that even with the update to 2.2.1, I was not able to read Thai fonts.

I have attached the requested screen photo.

v7b59y05qaxpoodbhsac_thumb.jpg

That's why I asked in this forum for help.

I guess your carrier had the Thai fonts removed from their 2.2.1 build. That just doesn't make any sense. Since the Wildfire has a locked down NAND your only choice is to change the recovery with Unrevoked, which will also root your phone in the process. Then you can use Root Explorer to add the Thai font previously provided.

http://unrevoked.com/

Edited by jackbox

• 2 months later...

I guess your carrier had the Thai fonts removed from their 2.2.1 build. That just doesn't make any sense. Since the Wildfire has a locked down NAND your only choice is to change the recovery with Unrevoked, which will also root your phone in the process. Then you can use Root Explorer to add the Thai font previously provided.

http://unrevoked.com/

Only today did I manage to visit a Vodafone technician locally and explained my problem to him. He said that he cannot help here, but I should contact the manufacturer HTC and ask there why Thai Fonts are not available. So I will get in contact with HTC.

The Vodafone technician also admitted that the Vodafone branding may be the cause of not being able to handle Thai fonts.

• 2 months later...

Update:

I just returned home from Thailand. I was also in MBK Shopping Center and asked at the 4th floor several mobile vendors if I could get Thai fonts on my HTC Wildfire. Each time I get the answer, "No", it is not possible. Only one vendor additionally offered to update the Android operating system to contain Thai fonts. But that would last about 3 hours and cost 800 Baht. And some of my personal data would get lost. I decided then to do nothing.

Maybe this offer would perform the same steps which have been already recommended in this thread?