Checking School Reputation American School Of Bangkok

Guinealover

Hi,

We are an American family moving to Bangkok with kids in the school year of Grade 2 and Grade 4.

Can anyone here kindly share their experience with the American School of Bangkok at Sukhumvit 49?

Thanks.

Edited by Guinealover

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'd like to hear opinions about the school as well. Considering sending my son there (kindergarten).

Hi, I work at KIS International School in Bangkok. I don't know much about the American School, but there is an article on the KIS website about choosing a school (moving to Bangkok section) which may help you with your research.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I DO highly recommend ASB Bangna Campus.

Talented & enthusiastic teachers, good curriculum, good work/fun quotient, supportive and attentive administration at the verdant ASB Bangna Campus - as well as a nice mix of expat and Thai kids, such that English is the de facto language of most of the kid population. This last bit is very important for an expat kid coming into Thailand since many 'international' schools here have literally no expat kids, so naturally only Thai is spoken by the kids unless in the classroom and the teachers enforce an English-only policy. And the learning environment is compromised since the vast majority of kids are second language learners so the core curriculum is compromised. IF your kid is a native English speaker, s/he will be bored, then eventually resentful, as the teaching environment is dumbed down.

We had to quickly pull our son out of a big, fancy, brand new, Bangna-area 'internatl' school when we found out it had, other than our son, a 100% Thai student population - very different from the school's website projected during review before we moved here from the US. English was not spoken by students nor 95% of staff outside the classroom. We are half-Thai and love Thailand, but our child was extremely isolated in that school environment, lonely & getting demoralized. He was also correcting the teacher's spelling, to which she responded that spelling was not important & that was what computer Spell-Check apps were for... Seriously.

So in the second week of school, we moved him to ASB. He is doing great, has a very talented & dedicated team of teachers, enjoys it & has developed some good friendships there from the get-go.

All the Best,