Se-Ed Bookshops

jaiyenyen

I have to admit it, I started to lose it today.

I needed a workbook for my students, so off I went to Se-eD at Zeer Rangsit. I quickly found the book I needed, and checked the price label on the back, 95bht. When I got to checkout I'm told that the book is 145bht. I pointed out that the label said 95bht. I'm told that the computer says the price is 145bht. I then ask the girl why the price on the book hasn't been changed?............. Blank look. I then went on to explain that this same thing happened the last time I went in their shop.............Blank look..........followed by "145bht you want book or not?" I then moved my gaze from her to the other eight people standing behind the counter scratching their <deleted> and picking their noses..........more blank looks.

My problem was that I need the book tomorrow, so I had no choice but to buy it...............................BASTARDS!!!!!!!!

If brains were dynamite, these people wouldn't have enough to blow their hats off.

Rant over,

Thanks

Edited by jaiyenyen

While I understand your point .... you bought it :) (In other words their sales policies worked this time didn't they?) I have had the same problem there before (different branch) and had a quiet word with the manager (in Thai) and paid the marked price.

Actually I have found this exact same thing at Se-Ed Books!!

You should take your intended purchase to the counter (before you buy it!) and have them do a price check (i.e. scan the barcode) often it IS different from what is on the book.

Sadly, that's just how it is; either you suck it up or you take it to your grave.

FWIW: Se-Ed is sooo woefully behind on their price changes, and it's ONLY the cash register(s) which can catch it!

Welcome to Thailand; please turn out the light when you leave!

Believe me, if I'd had a choice I wouldn't have bought it, but as I said, I need it for work tomorrow.

One other thing. I asked to see the manager......guess what! He/she wasn't there. Okay, can I have the details of your Head Office...................Mai Me.

It was at that point I just had to get out of there.

Name change? Nah!! I'm never Jai Rawn for long :D

What would you have done differently if you picked up the book and it was label 145THB? Worst case you would have put it down and walked away... in which case you wasted a whole 5 minutes of you life at the checkout waiting to pay for an item that you wouldn't buy...?

Suppose the book costs them 125THB because the publisher increased the price, and some employee just missed the price change on labeling... The company is now supposed to sell you this book at a loss? Why? Is this a business or a charity? You may end up having to be so happy that you come back and buy 5 more books before they can even make up the loss on this 1 book...just to break even.

I could understand people being upset if they were luring you in with fake low prices and then changing their prices, but this doesn't seem to be the case here.

Edited by dave111223

What would you have done differently if you picked up the book and it was label 145THB? Worst case you would have put it down and walked away... in which case you wasted a whole 5 minutes of you life at the checkout waiting to pay for an item that you wouldn't buy...?

Suppose the book costs them 125THB because the publisher increased the price, and some employee just missed the price change on labeling... The company is now supposed to sell you this book at a loss? Why? Is this a business or a charity? You may end up having to be so happy that you come back and buy 5 more books before they can even make up the loss on this 1 book...just to break even.

I could understand people being upset if they were luring you in with fake low prices and then changing their prices, but this doesn't seem to be the case here.

I know it's only 50 baht, but it's still a 50% price increase.

Normally at the moment it get price tagged and put on the shelves it has been paid for so it should be irrelevant that the publisher put up the price later - at least until the next batch of books bought at the higher price goes on the shelves. Don't you agree?

The problem is with these shops and some other businesses that if a customer has a complaint he/she can rarely get to see someone in charge and is left up to the brain dead staff to sort out the inquiry which normally goes in one ear and out of the other because there is no grey matter between the ears to take in what is being asked.

It is standard policy in Thailand never to bother the boss and to get any dissatisfied customers out the door a.s.a.p.

Very frustrating, I know and could be regarded as a justifiable time for a turn into the Incredible Hulk moment and smash up the place.

What I usually do when this happens is either not purchase the item and shop somewhere else or buy the item and in both cases never to return to that store or not use that business again.

That is the best way to get your revenge is to not spend your hard earned cash there again and make sure to tell others about your experience as you have correctly done here on Thai visa.

Hit them in the till, that is the best way to get back at them. They may have won this time but will lose much more from loss of your custom and perhaps those you advise not to use the store in the future.

This is customer service Thai style, and something to get used to. Staff are SO far removed from the actual business-running and decision-making the sooner we realise that the better. Staff in Thailand can be the best and worst in the world: the best at courtesy and attentiveness but the worst at making executive decisions and using logic that's not in their job description. Staff overruling computers is a big no-no: big tellings off by the boss for losing money. What the girl said was exactly how it appears to her: the shop (not her) made a pricing mistake, so take the book or leave it? Staff really don't care much, they follow orders here. Management MAY correct issues but are more likely to put it to the back of their brains as a "complainant".

I've had the same problem at various different branches of PowerBuy (a computer and office supplies place). Either the thing I want is out of stock (though the most expensive model is of course available) or its listed price is wrong and should be higher (sometimes much higher). Initially I would just leave the mispriced merchandise at the counter; now I simply don't shop there at all. The store employees are helpless to do anything about it and seem uncomprehending and uncaring about the negative effects of this practice on its theoretical customers- a sign which points to bad management as much as the existence of the practice itself.

Suppose the book costs them 125THB because the publisher increased the price, and some employee just missed the price change on labeling... The company is now supposed to sell you this book at a loss? Why?

Normally at the moment it get price tagged and put on the shelves it has been paid for so it should be irrelevant that the publisher put up the price later - at least until the next batch of books bought at the higher price goes on the shelves. Don't you agree?

His point is that the price was already increased, but whoever labeled it used the old price on which the company would lose money instead of making a profit.

I will agree that I would not be happy about the wrong price label, but this is not the (formally) affluent West where companies would usually swallow a loss like this.

I've had the same problem at various different branches of PowerBuy (a computer and office supplies place). Either the thing I want is out of stock (though the most expensive model is of course available) or its listed price is wrong and should be higher (sometimes much higher). Initially I would just leave the mispriced merchandise at the counter; now I simply don't shop there at all. The store employees are helpless to do anything about it and seem uncomprehending and uncaring about the negative effects of this practice on its theoretical customers- a sign which points to bad management as much as the existence of the practice itself.

Don't get me started on the 'out of stock' line. Emporium is by far the worst offenders here starting in 1997 when I tried to buy a TV. Opening jitters I thought. 14 years later and I can assume that they still hire the same incompetent stock controller. I am beginning to the that 'out of stock' means, 'we never had that sale item in the first place and it was just a ruse to try and get you to buy a higher priced item'

I do accept that the staff at the till are maybe unable to make price altering decisions, but where is the manager? Who is in charge?

The staff were unwilling to let me speak to someone who had the authority to make a decision.

Earlier in the day I shopped at Carrefore (See Carrefore thread in this forum). It was a completely different experience, and the staff couldn't have been more helpful.

In Australia, the store has to sell the product at the marked price ... at supermarkets at least, but pretty sure it applies in all cases.

Suppose the book costs them 125THB because the publisher increased the price, and some employee just missed the price change on labeling... The company is now supposed to sell you this book at a loss? Why?

Because in that scenario, employee screwed up and should pay the balance, Thai style. Would you bend over so easily in your home country?

Op, next time ask the numbnut on the desk when they came over from Laos, loud enough for all to hear. Phone head office and tell them you've reported them to Thai consumer services ( :lol: ) and emailed the Nation. ;)

His point is that the price was already increased, but whoever labeled it used the old price on which the company would lose money instead of making a profit.

I will agree that I would not be happy about the wrong price label, but this is not the (formally) affluent West where companies would usually swallow a loss like this.

Well we don't know for sure what exactly happened, do we? I think it's more likely that the book was marked with the right price at the time it was marked, then a new batch arrives with a higher price and the computer is updated with the new price. But of course this is all speculation...

I'm pretty sure the book was old stock. The reason I say this is because I remember looking at it around six months ago. I'm sure it was the same book because I remember it had a plastic cover fitted to it, and none of the other books in that series had one. The cover was also slightly faded.

Anyway, I have it now, and it's being used. My complain wasn't really about the price, the book is worth 145bht. It was more about the 'Couldn't

give a toss' attitude of the staff.

How would it have been a business loss? If the book was marked at a lower price, then that was the price when the stock was purchased. Is it ethical to increase the price on old inventory because new inventory costs more? A retailer that has ethical business practices will change its pricing on stock if the situation warrants. What we have here is misleading sales practices. Yes, I know that TIL applies, but in a country with consumer protection laws, the indicated price would have to be respected. Until their is a legal requirement for Thai retailers to behave in an ethical and honest manner, they will continue to engage in deceitful sales practices.

How would it have been a business loss? If the book was marked at a lower price, then that was the price when the stock was purchased. Is it ethical to increase the price on old inventory because new inventory costs more?

Suppose their cost of rent went up, suppose their staff cost went up, suppose the electric cost went up...these all factor into the "cost" of something, not just what they paid for the original inventory item.

My point is that the business no longer sells the item at that price (for whatever reason); you, the customer, still have a choice...buy it or don't buy it.

I'd prefer to live in a country where both seller and buyer have the choice to complete a transaction (or not)...as opposed to a country which forces someone to sell something at a price they are unwilling to sell it for.

It's a big chain with poorly paid employees and whatever decision you made would not change anything they do in the future. They have nothing to lose, so why not buy the book and get on with your class? But thanks for the rant, I go there a lot and will keep my eyes open.

The ones that get me are the market vendors. Had a hankering for some sticky rice last night, decided to stock up. Smiled at the dour old lady and picked up four small bags of the white variety and she put them in a large bag and said 160 baht.

Saying nothing, this blond kid with the white skin calmly and methodically took the four bags back out, along with the milk bags (no jokes, please) and carefully set them back where they had been on display. The larger bag was then neatly folded and handed back to the thievin' old bag and I walked one stall down to another vendor of khao niiaow where I this time first asked how much for one bag. This lady had watched the whole episode and smiled so big she could hardly say the two words I wanted to hear: twenty baht.

I bought six (6) bags and some extra coconut milk and left. Maybe next time the other bag won't be so quick to screw the next paleface.

I hate it when people pick their noses and read books. Sticky rice or sticky pages. I'll take the rice.

Personally myself, I would have left the book with them no matter who much I thought I needed it and walked out. Have done it before here and will no doubt do it again. It is ingrained in me mark up price is price I pay. Unless of course they ask for less.

jb1

The cashier has probably never been told what to do in a situation like this and is therefore going along with the usual procedure - pay what the till says. Given you're buying the book on behalf of somebody else this could be your face-saving excuse not to pay the difference, stating you need to check with them.

Then see if there's another book shop in the area selling it for the price stated on the cover. If not, well it's then your decision to find a manager to complain to or swallow the difference.

Thai people working in retail aren't getting paid enough to think about big picture / long term customer service theories etc, so it's not her fault.

If she sells it to you at 95, and the boss then takes 50 bhat out of her pay cheque that's a big chunk out of her 5000 bhat a month

If she tries to help you, and takes up more time, the other 8 people in line are going to get annoyed. And she probably knows she can't actually help you anyway, so there's no use in trying.

If she insists on 145 bhat, and you walk out. Why would she care that the business loses a customer? not her business. If it was a small owner run store and you were a regular customer, it'd be a different story, but it's not :-P

Isn't that exactly what happened? He took the book to the counter expecting to pay the price marked on the book and when ready to pay he was told that it's actually 50% more than advrtised, no explaination why the price was hiked he was only given the choice to like it or lump it.

How would it have been a business loss? If the book was marked at a lower price, then that was the price when the stock was purchased. Is it ethical to increase the price on old inventory because new inventory costs more?

Suppose their cost of rent went up, suppose their staff cost went up, suppose the electric cost went up...these all factor into the "cost" of something, not just what they paid for the original inventory item.

My point is that the business no longer sells the item at that price (for whatever reason); you, the customer, still have a choice...buy it or don't buy it.

I'd prefer to live in a country where both seller and buyer have the choice to complete a transaction (or not)...as opposed to a country which forces someone to sell something at a price they are unwilling to sell it for.

I don't think the point is just that the price has increased or what the reason was, it's not making the customer aware of what the real price is until they have set their minds on buying it. If they wanted to bump up their prices to cover whatever costs then they should amend the advertised prices for their products they are selling.

Edited by UKMatt

Isn't that exactly what happened? He took the book to the counter expecting to pay the price marked on the book and when ready to pay he was told that it's actually 50% more than advrtised, no explaination why the price was hiked he was only given the choice to like it or lump it.

He was already in their store shopping when he saw the price; so they did not lure him into the store with a falsely advertised price.

I don't think the point is just that the price has increased or what the reason was, it's not making the customer aware of what the real price is until they have set their minds on buying it. If they wanted to bump up their prices to cover whatever costs then they should amend the advertised prices for their products they are selling.

You make it seem as though he no longer had a choice to buy it or not because it was "set in his mind to buy it"; in reality he was 100% able to put the book down and walk away.

Also if you make the argument that once you are at the checkout the sale must go through then you also have to say that the reverse should be true.

Let's say you go to the checkout to buy an item (which is correctly priced) does the seller then have it "set in their mind" that they will sell something? In which case the law should prohibit you from changing your mind? Or if you find out you don't have enough money to for the item the seller should demand you go and get the money as you are now required to complete the purchase?

Edited by dave111223