Bangkok To Be Transformed Into A Cultural Attraction

webfact

After visiting Hanoi, Mr Suthichi said the tourist Industry in Vietnam has grown quickly during the past 5yrs. Are they starting to get a little worried? I think they should be, If what quite a few people on TV are saying, as in they are thinking of looking at Vietnam as a place to settle as apposed to Thailand, also I was talking to a girl in a popular sports bar, she was saying that a lot of folk she talks to say they are thinking of moving on to Vietnam.

I would say personally. Not only Bangkok but Thailand, has a whole lot of transforming to do, before it even thinks of culture.

jb1

there was a movie shooting from HBO many years back. The movie was about the Vietnam war. A large area was turned into a Vietnamese-village-look. It just took a couple of days for the team to realize this. Low budget as well. This was the only time were I thought Bangkok has had at least some charm.

What will they do here in Thailand. New neon-lights blinking in all forms and variaties everywhere? This I think is as far as they can go.

Instead to announce the impossible please try to solve the other impossible first - that is city planning.

The city is absolutely polluted. It 's not healthy to live ... I hardly go to BKK. I have no idea ....'bout this..

Duh- The reason Vietnam has boomed in tourism the last 5 years is because it started from zero. Thailand had been into the tourist business for over 40 years. Vietnam, ??? 10 good years. Like many of the replies have stated, the city needs to improve the sidewalks and get rid of the vendors... Most people that I run into that vacation in Thailand say they do not like Bangkok. They say it is because it is not an easy place to walk around in. (Neither is Hanoi). Thailand has been around for decades as a vacation spot...so many Westerners are looking for something "different" such Vietnam or China. Maybe that is why so many Russians, Indians, and Chinese are the new tourists to invade Thailand, especially Pattaya.

I thought we already had plenty of "local traditions" on display in "cultural areas" around Bangkok such as Nana Plaza, Soi Cowboy, Ratchadapisek Road, Patpong et al....

The definition of culture is the beliefs and the values of a group of people over a period of time so the cultural tour should also include the hundreds of Thai ab ob naughts on Petburi road that give a special expensive massage at 2000 baht per time while obviously not offering prostitution as that would be illegal ;) Thai culture at its finest!

Last December we went Bali and it was horrendous around Kuta (the tourist centre) but brilliant outside Kuta. Thailand is the same; tourist centres are horrible but the real Thailand outside the tourist centers is really nice.

Bangkok is too huge, overcrouded, dirty and set in its ways too change at the whim of some tourist mogule! Bangkok does change, generally due to infrastructure improvements such as new train metros, bridges, underpasses, etc. The biggest improvement will occur if Bangkok gets all the train routes planned. Then Bangkokians will leaves their cars at home and use trains like other major cities of the world.

Bangkok is already far too big and 'redeveloped' a city for lessons to be drawn from Hanoi. The government should be looking at Chiang Mai, whose charms are still saveable -- just.

Even better. Thailand could contact the owners of Disney World and have them create a massive theme park, with water slides, attractions, jewelry shops, shopping complexes, whores, everything. Bangkok, already has Skytrain, so if you are a tourist and come to Bangkok to check out Disney World Bangkok you can just look down.

Bangkok is already far too big and 'redeveloped' a city for lessons to be drawn from Hanoi. The government should be looking at Chiang Mai, whose charms are still saveable -- just.

Yep... I got your point.

BKK doesn't have many cultural bits left anyway. On contrary, CM is still quite fresh..... To do BKK, there are loads of work though.

Already have Patpong, NEP and Soi Cowboy. We need more?

Oh, yes. Great travelers to Bangkok with their legs wide open.

New definition :

BKK = a place where many sex crazed and pedophile Farangs live...................

Edited by dunkin2012

It already was a great tourist attraction when I first visited it... in 1957. Since then it deteriorated and deteriorated until the opening of the Skytrain. There are now ways of getting round most of the city fairly quickly, so long as you keep off the roads.

I think many readers would really like to know what Bangkok was like in 1957: traffic jams? overcrowding? dirty? interesting? exotic? fun? cooler than the present? etc.

The canals were dirty sewers then==temp/find no different==I wouldn't say exotic==suriwongsi and P/P same sort of tourist sex area-the other one was Nana, and arabs were there then, all around that area, Pratunam was always good for shopping but without the vast Malls, Palace and temples were the big attraction for photo's as every one wanted the Thai photo's back then. At a temple I took my pricey trainers off -went in-when I came out they were gone and left were some 5 baht flip flops. my first intro into the rip offs was a tuk tuk, to the river 1 hour-and later I found I could have walked in 5 mins, traffic bad, but more so now. the best bit was the old airport, and that walk between terminals. Mind as a football ref I was fit. just sorry we cannot go back--it was much more friendly then-and smiles were more natural

Glad you put the last sentence in. My recollections are not as critical. There was little traffic; we used to travel round in samlors, or walk. Yes, the canals were sewers. People were certainly friendlier, but what I remember most is that they really didn't like Americans, or maybe they just thought they were suckers. The first step in bargaining (and one had to bargain almost everywhere) was to say, "I'm not American, I'm British", and the price came down by one-third. We went to the Grand Palace on a day when it wasn't officially open (got the date wrong), and got a private tour by one of the palace guards... who didn't ask for anything (I'm sure we gave him something, though). I don't remember the touts at all... and as for the sex tour aspect, well, it never crossed my mind.

It already was a great tourist attraction when I first visited it... in 1957. Since then it deteriorated and deteriorated until the opening of the Skytrain. There are now ways of getting round most of the city fairly quickly, so long as you keep off the roads.

I agree with you the sky train is great. They really should make extending it throughout Bangkok a priority. I do believe they are opening the line from On Nut to Bang Na later this year. I have not noticed any parking areas for cars though, near any of the stations. They also need to put extra carridges on during peak times. Was on there the other night, from Siam to Ekkami squashed in like Sardines.

jb1

Be careful what you wish for? I think it is a little dangerous to say back in the US of A, UK, Germany etc we do this and that. Yes, correct but lets remember why we do not live there anymore. Far too many rules, regulations, laws, by-laws etc. etc. It a bit like the Muslims who left their home country because of the oppressive system they had to live under and now try to introduce the same system in their new country, UK for example. Part of the charm of living in Thailand is because of the way it is, pro's and con's. It will develop at its own pace, until then enjoy, because if your want systems introduced like the west, those systems will include more taxes etc. I for one do not speed when driving or try to keep to the speed limit, no tax camera's just the occasional police and if you get caught and stopped you pay a fine and no points. Once a points system is introduced it will be for every offence. Be careful what you wish for!

What's the point? You cannot travel anywhere in the city due to traffic congestion! As a friend told me recently, when we slowed to a stop on the expressway and I laughed at having paid the toll to avoid a car park. He said "You pay in car parks and this one is only just a lot larger, same same!" He has a point. Traffic is enough to put anyone off trying to reach any destination or tourist attraction. If BMA is serious - remove the stupidity of manually controlled traffic lights and sync them up so they allow traffic flow and time them at no more than 60 seconds per intersection. Have the BiB police traffic and the push shove merchants, people travelling the wrong way against traffic flow, have all buses remain in the left lane (create a bus/taxi lane) and issue some serious fines attached to a point system for those who ignore the rules.

Then whilst that is happening tourism and cultural attractions can be being built thus by the time BMA gets its s**t together, things may actually work ... ok - now I will stop daydreaming!

I think you will find that most traffic delay comes from lights changing from green to yellow then to red. Shorten the duration of the signals and traffic will most likely slow down. Not that a mechanized system wouldnt be better though, but then what would the bib do? :lol:

early 1st of april joke ?

i guess they have more visitors because people in part are avoiding the messy, stinky krungtep ?

: airport hostages by yellow/red / the nice civil war last year in the centre of town ....

than i can also conclude: lets legalize drugs, as they do in amsterdam (netherlands) or zurich (swiss) because the crime related to drugs declined after legalising it

same logic ?

Thai culture had quickly become the "rip-off land of smiles". Thats the culture. Behind that smile is an intention to rip you off. They're smiling at you so you can show them ways for them to rip you off. That means if they smile at you, your first response should be,'I have nothing.". Then you will see that smile fade away. Because whatever they do next will be sincere and without design.

And you won't like that either.

I remember reading in The Bangkok Post about 20 years ago the Vietnamese tourist board traveling to Thailand to learn from TAT on how to promote tourism in Vietnam.

Apparently, 20 years ago, it worked because they learned something. I doubt that any 'common' Thai will be able to bring all the disparate groups together for the common good.

Well, having travelled a lot in both Thailand and Vietnam the last 10 years, I think some of you posters are slightly biased against Thailand. While 'nam feels slightly safer and less corrupt, the Vietnamese in general have less knowledge of English and of western culture. Also, less personal freedom. Few people in Thailand are sent to "re-education camps" for political statements, this is not uncommon in Vietnam.

I'll give Vietnam one thing - they are usually ruthlessly efficient in business, and good organizers. But Thailand is a lot more accepting of Western customs, and you have the bar scene, which does not exist in 'nam. Not to say that you can't buy company in Vietnam, just that the scene is a lot smaller, more hidden and illegal. And not accepted in the general public.

For foreigners the two countries are in general a lot of "same-same but different". I enjoy travelling in both, and love both Thai and Vietnamese people.

??????????????????????? I don't get it...there are plenty of tourist venues (some authentic, some set up for tourists) where one can see the traditional arts, crafts, customs of old Thailand. This particular councilman is like any local person - doesn't visit his own tourist sights, only when he is visiting another country. As farangs, we know where the tourist sights are in Thailand, but most likely don't know them in our own country.

I have been to Vietnam and I wouldn't use them as a role model. How about using Singapore or Germany for a role model?

Toenailed it right on the head.

I don't go to my loacl attractions. Thailand (Krungtheb) has tons of cultural sites. VN has such an increase in tourism becuase their tourism sucked so badly as compared to Thailand - which is choked with tourists. But a complimentary statement after a useful visit to a friendly neighbor is in order. :wai:

Regarding this, it would be a great thing to extend the MRT line from Hua Lamphong to Yaowarat (China Town) and onwards to Wat Phra Keaw. Besides having a huge movement of local people in between Hua Lamphong and The Grand Palace, it's a mayor tourist area that is quite disconnected from the mass transit system.

This might be a bad idea if you have looked at what has happened along the existing BTS/MRT routes. Everything old is being torn down to build condos, shopping centers and hotels. I would hate to see this start to happen in the old part of town. Of course they could pass laws and regulations to prevent this but greed would take over and you might end up with a Big C right next to the Grand Palace or some similar obscenity.

The difficulty in getting to these areas may be the biggest force in preserving them. I use the BTS every day and I well remember the horrendous traffic jams of the pre-BTS era, but it sometimes makes me sad to see what has happened along its route (like the destruction of the beautiful Siam Intercontinental Hotel to build that temple to consumerism the Siam "Paragon").

Hub-ba Hub-ba. Like what ratcatcher said. One of the unmentioned attractions, or at least not mentioned as something to promote is "world's largest car park": the street system. Bangkok has a culture already, of sorts... Pollution control would be nice. Recently noticed my Reeboks have been literally eaten by our delightful air..... hadn't worn them for awhile