Making A Nice Cuppa

PomPui

I have been in Bangkok now for nearly 6 months and I am finding it impossible to make a cup of tea in my condo. I have tried tap water, bottle water, a new kettle and many different types of teabags. But they all just taste horrible, I know it is possible as I can have not bad cuppa in Starbucks.

Any ideas?

Cheers

PomPui

Being a Brit and loving my morning cuppa, ive finnally worked out the best way from a jug kettle, as soon as the hot light comes on, pour half a cup, this will get rid of any ants and the cooler water in the dispensing tube, then pick the kettle up and shake it a little, when the heating light comes on and goes to hot, make your tea, or when the heating light comes on, open the top so it near boils,

Milk is a matter of choice too, i use foremost low fat uht, and lipton teabags, Its good enough for me, although we brought 200 tetly tea bags from uk last year, well, thats a different story!!!

Being a Brit and loving my morning cuppa, ive finnally worked out the best way from a jug kettle, as soon as the hot light comes on, pour half a cup, this will get rid of any ants and the cooler water in the dispensing tube, then pick the kettle up and shake it a little, when the heating light comes on and goes to hot, make your tea, or when the heating light comes on, open the top so it near boils,

Milk is a matter of choice too, i use foremost low fat uht, and lipton teabags, Its good enough for me, although we brought 200 tetly tea bags from uk last year, well, thats a different story!!!

Not that the English would know anything about making a cup of tea! We cultured Australian's know that in order to have a "Good" cup or pot of tea first you need a clean cup! Not something that you bought over from "Blighty" and haven't washed since Grandpapa gave it to you in '52...While I commend your use of Lipton yellow label teabags surely you can't be serious about using "Foremost low fat UHT" milk! :bah::bah:

A "Wise " person might consider a full cream milk like "Meiji" as it doesn't have any flavour enhancers like sugar or vanilla flavoring, unlike "foremost" (American for insect urine). Using a large urn that heats the water to 100 degrees C, fill the cup and allow to steep for up to 5 minutes, remove tea bag and add a small dolop of milk, stir, enjoy! It also helps to clean your teeth after you have your morning cup of tea! ;):D

Not that the English would know anything about making a cup of tea! We cultured Australian's know that in order to have a "Good" cup or pot of tea first you need a clean cup! Not something that you bought over from "Blighty" and haven't washed since Grandpapa gave it to you in '52...While I commend your use of Lipton yellow label teabags surely you can't be serious about using "Foremost low fat UHT" milk! :bah::bah:

A "Wise " person might consider a full cream milk like "Meiji" as it doesn't have any flavour enhancers like sugar or vanilla flavoring, unlike "foremost" (American for insect urine). Using a large urn that heats the water to 100 degrees C, fill the cup and allow to steep for up to 5 minutes, remove tea bag and add a small dolop of milk, stir, enjoy! It also helps to clean your teeth after you have your morning cup of tea! ;):D

Only an Aussie could recommend that nats pee that is Liptons Yellow

Only an Aussie could recommend that nats pee that is Liptons Yellow

I've always called Liptons water brownerer. It certainly isn't tea as I know it. We brought 3kg of PG Tips back from England with us (total 1,260 teabags) and it is on track to last until we go back, a nice estimate of a 12 month supply. I can buy a pack of 25 PG Tips in Tops for the same price as a 1kg (420 bags) in Netto. If desperate and not wanting to spend a fortune, Tops own brand English breakfast tea is about the best you can get for the price. And whatever tea you use, don't just wait until the water is brown - leave it to brew for at least 3 minutes.

Also, to anyone having strange tasting tea problems, have you ever let your kettle boil dry? I did this once, and it took more than a dozen boil and empty, boil and empty for the bulk of the taste to go away, but it was a good couple of weeks until it was gone completely.

anyone who writes 'liptons' in the same sentence as 'tea' doesnt have a clue. Its not cheap, but the Twinings loose leaf (ie. not bags) tins of tea are the best option here in Bkk. Earl Great and English Breakfast being the best flavour - Assam if you can find it. Available at Foodland, HomeFresh...maybe Carrefour.

Yeah, well, im not in BKK am i,!! i live in a small market town, and the ONLY tea here is Liptons, if i want to travel 220ks, i would have a bigger choice, right?

The op asked , any ideas, i gave him my idea of how i make ,or have to make tea, is that ok with you??