The Tastiest Beer In Thailand?

Pikey

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised more people arn't saying Leo. It outsells every other beer 3-1 at my local supermarket.

1. Leo

2. Singha

3. Heineken

Carlsberg is not here anymore. Although surprisingly I did see some for sale at Family Mart for 65b a bottle about 3 months ago. No sightings since.

I'm surprised more people arn't saying Leo. It outsells every other beer 3-1 at my local supermarket.

1. Leo

2. Singha

3. Heineken

Carlsberg is not here anymore. Although surprisingly I did see some for sale at Family Mart for 65b a bottle about 3 months ago. No sightings since.

Leo outsells as it is very cheap!!

and nasty :o

1. Leo

2. Singha

3. Heineken

Leo outsells as it is very cheap!!

and nasty :o

Chang is 1 baht cheaper and is left in the dust by the customers. It even has more alcohol than Leo and still can't sell the same amount of bottles. Guess taste doesn't matter!

Besides, this is a business, the guy wants to sell the most beer, not win a taste testing contest. :D

Chang is 1 baht cheaper and is left in the dust by the customers. It even has more alcohol than Leo and still can't sell the same amount of bottles. Guess taste doesn't matter!

Besides, this is a business, the guy wants to sell the most beer, not win a taste testing contest.  :o

well, wow!! I don't understand people liking Leo, but hel_l, so what!!

anyone like Klosters? :D

Someone mentioned Phuket Beer... I did a little search and found this quote on another website:

"After being discovered and accepted by international consumers, Phuket beer is now available in Villa Markets. You can also have a case of 24 bottles delivered to your door for 960 baht"

Interesting if accurate (plus, haven't seen it in Villa as yet??). I'm not much of a beer drinker but the marketing interests me. Seems they Export to US, Uk, Sweden, Japan, etc, etc and maybe are just now establishing the brand locally?

Edited by baht&sold

Anyone know why Carlsberg has disappeared? :o

Big dispute with Singa, keeping the lawyers rich. Last I heard they were letting the lawyers talk to each other, which is an improvement over the past.

Someone may be bringing Carlsberg into Th but the licencing agreement they have with Singa is a great source of conflict. There was a series articles in the news section a little while ago.

Thailand is not known for tasty beers....at all. In fact, the beer selection in this country is the worst in the entire world. With huge tariffs on imports, one is left to suffer with drinking the nasty handful of beers brewed within its borders. Imports are out of the question as they are outrageously priced and stale to boot! If you take a Budweiser for example; the price was 110 baht per bottle vs 20 baht in the states. On top of that, the expiry code here was a full 6 months! as opposed to the 105 day codes in the US. Normally any Buds you could find here were at the end of the 6 months or past. In the US, one can find Buds that are a few days old. fresh Bud tastes real nice but those old ones are nasty, rank tasting. I'm using past tense on Bud because the king of beers has pulled out of the region. The Coke of beers is fed up with the system that taxes the crap out of imports that forces people to drink the crappy domestically brewed pea. Heil the King of Beers!

Thailand is not known for tasty beers....at all. In fact, the beer selection in this country is the worst in the entire world. With huge tariffs on imports, one is left to suffer with drinking the nasty handful of beers brewed within its borders. Imports are out of the question as they are outrageously priced and stale to boot! If you take a Budweiser for example; the price was 110 baht per bottle vs 20 baht in the states. On top of that, the expiry code here was a full 6 months! as opposed to the 105 day codes in the US. Normally any Buds you could find here were at the end of the 6 months or past. In the US, one can find Buds that are a few days old. fresh Bud tastes real nice but those old ones are nasty, rank tasting. I'm using past tense on Bud because the king of beers has pulled out of the region. The Coke of beers is fed up with the system that taxes the crap out of imports that forces people to drink the crappy domestically brewed pea. Heil the King of Beers!

For Bud read- Week as piss

Or maybe Queers for Fears is taking the piss. Every domestic Thai beer has more taste than Bud. The best beer in Thailand, IMHO, is only available at the airport. The Brewhouse has some excellent beers, especially Headbutt Strong Ale. It'd be great if these brews were available elsewhere, though not at the extortionate airport price.

Absolutely - the only Bud worth having is the Czech original - Budweiser Budvar.......... but not available here :o

Well, we finally made it and after 11 days of hard graft, the cafe/bar is now open and stocking - Chang, Heineken, Singha & Tiger and Tiger & Chang seem the most popular so far.

Dunno if I am allowed to do this but the place is called "Jai-Yen Cafe" and is at 19 Moon Muang, Chiang Mai. That's about 400m south of Tha Phae gate - look for the Ying/Yang logo. We do great farang and Thai food and aim to provide a relaxed atmosphere for all sorts of people to chill. I also have an extensive music collection piped through a quality sound system and can download what I haven't got.

Feel free to pop in and say hello and if you mention that you are a TVer, you get 10% from your first bill. If you like the place and become regular, you get a VIP card with 10% off permanently.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Anyone know why Carlsberg has disappeared? :o

it was kicked out by the thai-chinese partner, who used the technology to produce his own local brand called Chang.

just goes to show how hard it is to do business in this country, even for large multinational brands.

these days you only see Carlsberg and Chang clash when you watch Liverpool vs Everton.

Well, we finally made it and after 11 days of hard graft, the cafe/bar is now open and stocking - Chang, Heineken, Singha & Tiger and Tiger & Chang seem the most popular so far.

Dunno if I am allowed to do this but the place is called "Jai-Yen Cafe" and is at 19 Moon Muang, Chiang Mai. That's about 400m south of Tha Phae gate - look for the Ying/Yang logo. We do great farang and Thai food and aim to provide a relaxed atmosphere for all sorts of people to chill. I also have an extensive music collection piped through a quality sound system and can download what I haven't got.

Feel free to pop in and say hello and if you mention that you are a TVer, you get 10% from your first bill. If you like the place and become regular, you get a VIP card with 10% off permanently.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Pikey,

What bar on Moon Muang is it next to? Is it close to the Hash House bar on soi 2?

yes Chuchok, 3 doors down from HHH and next to Maddogs. It was originally the Hilltribe Cafe, then Cafe Mai and now Jai-Yen Cafe. Still doing the final tweaks but it's substantially different from before. Hope to see you and others.

I don't think there's any question at all that beer drinking in Thailand is an experience that leaves a lot to be desired. Variety in beers is not the spice of life here. Just reading thru this thread one sees a small handful of beers in everyone's top 3. Gee whiz, it's 1. Leo 2. Singh 3. Heineken 4. Tiger 5. Chang

For gods sakes, how many configurations of these 5 are there. This is laughable and there is a reason why.....Cause these are about the only 5 beers you can readily get in this country. I've been to communist Cuba and even there they have a larger variety of beers. And over there they have Heineken and Carlsberg that are actually brewed in Holland and Denmark. How amazing! And guess what? those imports taste grrrrrrrrrreat. Aint nothing worse than a Thai brewed Heineken. Maybe it's the water or something, I just don't know. I will see also that Cuba's domestics blow away anything offered here as well. In short, the beer drinking experience in Thailand is the worst in the entire world, hands down...Not even close