The Tastiest Beer In Thailand?

Pikey

Had Klosters for the first time last week.

Very hoppy, you can taste the barley.

Nicer than the usual slop I imbibe.

Finally someone else who appreciates a decent local Thai beer. I've been drinking Klosters for decades in Thailand and simply will not drink the other slop. Leo may be the worst of the lot, closely followed by Chang and then Singha.

But to be a successful beer joint you need lots of the last three brands because your profit center is people who want a quick cheap drunk.

Also try to keep some Mae Khong or Seng Som on the shelf for us old hands.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you look in many uk pubs they have a wide range of beers in relation to thai places so why not stock the lot from the beginning and cut out those your customers don't buy.Can't go wrong then.There isn't exactly a huge range to choose from in the first place.It shouldn't break the bank either.

That is good advice,mate.Whatever you drink,there is nothing worse than going into a bar and they don't sell it.There are so many bars in Thailand,you don't want to put your customers off before they get a beer!

Anyway,best of luck anyway.My choice;

1 BEER CHANG

2 TIGER

3 SINGHA or LEO

All with a smile and a wet wipe!

Chang - when I don't care what happened the night before  :o

Heineken - when I'm thristy but don't want to drink water (marginal difference)

Tiger - the best of everything (IMHO)

The locals will want Singh, so will knock Chang off my list to allow for them.

Agree, Tiger for the people who are choosy, Heineken for people who don't like the taste of beer, Singh for the drunkards! A winner! :D

Chang - when I don't care what happened the night before  :D

Heineken - when I'm thristy but don't want to drink water (marginal difference)

Tiger - the best of everything (IMHO)

The locals will want Singh, so will knock Chang off my list to allow for them.

Agree, Tiger for the people who are choosy, Heineken for people who don't like the taste of beer, Singh for the drunkards! A winner! :D

Agreed :D Tiger for me.

San miguel have a new one called Red Horse 6.9% :D Really nice though. :o

We can now get Old Speckled Hen in Pattaya. It's not the best of English beers, but it makes a much needed escape from all the crap that is called "beer" or "lager." Out of the "beers" mentioned, Chang etc. I personnally choose the one I think my pallette will appreciate at that time, the only exception being "Heinekrap" :D This "beer" I'm certain has been invented for people who cannot tell the difference between Gnats P!ss and sea water or who want to put so much ice in their glass that 1 bottle will last 3 weeks! :o So it's Old Speck for me right now, with draught Guinness coming 2nd. When I have to drink lager, it's a toss up with Leo on a winning streak ATM. :D

I do not live in CM but I will give my opinion anyway. I like cold, cheap beer.

Heineken is nice but expensive.

Chang is cheap, strong but hurts your head.

Ditto Red horse (which is even stronger)

Leo is alright and cheap.

Singha sucks.

I love Guinness but is impossible to find and expensive when found.

My tipple of choice is Archa. Cheap, drinkable and does not hurt my head in the morning.

Since no one has mentioned it, my friends in the restaurant business swear by--

Phuket Beer.

It's a small brewery but distributed in major cities.

Are they still making that? I have never tried it but understand that there is a bitter business dispute over this beer. One partner alleges that another one stole the business. It is in the courts at the moment.

Good Luck with the new business venture Pikey. The best suggestion i can make is whatever beer you stock make sure its cold. Too many bar owners in thailand turn off the fridges after closing to save on electricity. Nothing worse than warm beer.

To get the true taste of any beer, drink it at room temperature. Then you'll find that any of the afore mentioned 'beers' are sh!te.

However, when in Rome ....................

1. Archa (because I can't drink a gallon of *chang* anymore)

2. *Chang* (because not every outlet has Archa)

3. Errrrrrr ... next cheapest

You are all out.....

1. Cabro

2. Victoria

3. Moza

4. Gallo

5. Bravha

6. Monte-Carlo

7. Dorada Draft

8. Dorada Ice

9. Sol

20. Corona

and in last place....

Heineken.....

It might leave me broke.... but at least I´m having fun being broke....

(That´s just the beers...We haven´t even started on Pikeys liquors yet. :o )

Don Juan de Maktub`ar

edit: Oh! This is supposed to be Thai related....Well, er... then I´ll go with

1. Leo

2. Chang

3.Singh

Edited by kayo

If sales are the most important:

1. Singha (must-have for locals, even though it kicks like a mule)

2. Heinekin (for farangs, even though its pretty ordinary)

3. Chiang or Leo, even contest

If you care about taste:

1. Chiang (even though it kicks like a mule)

2. Leo

3. Tiger...or Heinekin if you really must...

Singha doesn't taste that bad, but more than 2 glasses assures me of a filthy hangover. Is there something nasty in that stuff? All of Singha's other beers are ok, its just the 'plain vanilla' that is bloody awful.

Anyone know where I can get light beer in Bangkok? (Yes I am a wuus).

Agree with your choices, as long as Leo is on the list...... now as to "Singha", there is Formaldehyde in the brew. This can be verified by drinking something like a Leo which isn't that strong tasting, then afetr a few bottles switching over to Singha, it becomes apparant.

If you look in many uk pubs they have a wide range of beers in relation to thai places so why not stock the lot from the beginning and cut out those your customers don't buy.Can't go wrong then.There isn't exactly a huge range to choose from in the first place.It shouldn't break the bank either.

Good advice ...... there was a place in Buriram called the "Bamboo Bar", which was owned by a Brit. He had the fridge and a few of those large ice coolers filled with beer than iced down. The best selling brands were iced down, the "Other" stuff in the fridge.......

You never want to turn a customer away "Lost sales", so have enough available to satisfy their taste, and if it looks like he/she might be on a bender, head to 7-11 and stock up!

Good luck....... :o

Very much a matter of taste, personal preference - and belief. Heineken drinkers truly believe they are drinking premium stuff, and you cannot change this just by telling them that in fact their beer is some of the lousiest brews on the planet. Undoubtedly it has probably the best marketing and highest marketing budget of all beers, and it pays. After all you want to sell what your guests ask for, so let them decide what they like and start up with all 5 brands or even more, reduce them after a few weeks if you find one or two do not sell enough to keep them in your range. It should be well worth the effort. If you expect to sell a lot of beer a draft would not hurt, it is simply better (both Chang and Singha).

In any case: make sure the beer is always served with a sweet smile - and let me know once your place is open!

Cheers!