Thai Language Schools In Surin

TCA

As the topic says, does anybody know whether there are any Thai language schools in Surin (town or province) which offer study under the ED visa?

Can't find anything on this forum or anywhere else with Google.

Thanks

TCA

Well, this is an interesting query. Not giving it much thought, I'm sure there is {private} Thai language school or two to be found, yet can't be sure of ED visa offerings. Better yet, I can imagine that the local colleges or university offer Thai language courses with the attached ED visa. Couldn't guarantee....wouldn't hurt to check out Surin Rajabhat Univ; Rajamangala Univ of Technology; Sikhoraphum Vocational College; or Surintarasuksa.

Folks, anyone interested in this subject is welcome to take a peek at my thread "ED-VISA by Skype" in the "THAI VISAS, RESIDENCE AND WORK PERMIT" forum.

We might get some input there. If someone is interested in learning the language and wants to stay on an ED-Visa and happens to live somewhat in the sticks, the "Skype-Version" shurely would beat a weekly "classroom-run" to BKK.

Cheers.

Thanks zzaa09. I'd need to check those out in person when I visit as there's minimal information online about what's on offer. Surin Rajabhat University has it's own website but I couldn't see anything about Thai language courses. If anyone else has any first hand information about the colleges/universities or any private language schools in Surin, I'd be interested to hear.

Swissie - I've already checked out the Skype angle and for me it's just too expensive an option, as you're effectively paying for one-on-one lessons. Given the likely unreliability of internet in the sticks, I'd also be very wary of paying a chunk of money for tuition that might not be as convenient as it first sounds. Thanks for the reply though.

Thanks zzaa09. I'd need to check those out in person when I visit as there's minimal information online about what's on offer. Surin Rajabhat University has it's own website but I couldn't see anything about Thai language courses. If anyone else has any first hand information about the colleges/universities or any private language schools in Surin, I'd be interested to hear.

Swissie - I've already checked out the Skype angle and for me it's just too expensive an option, as you're effectively paying for one-on-one lessons. Given the likely unreliability of internet in the sticks, I'd also be very wary of paying a chunk of money for tuition that might not be as convenient as it first sounds. Thanks for the reply though.

Oh yes TCA, when this can only be done on a 1 to 1 basis, it simply get's too expensive. ( And on top: the unreliability of internet sevices in the sticks probably makes it a "No-No" for most people. Well, we live and learn, thanks.

Cheers.

Personally I think you will have some difficulty finding what you want in Surin - insufficient demand.

Surin Rajabhat University does not offer such courses to my knowledge.

Only possibility might be a private language school in town but if they are dependent upon teaching Thai to non-natives to make a living they will starve

Yes, not many options I fear. I'm back to following swissie's thread (above) about distance learning by Skype. I was under the false impression that it would be pricey private lessons only but apparently there are group options at regular prices. Depending on what sort of internet connection I can arrange (I'm likely to be in Sangkha), then I'll be seriously considering this alternative.

Yes, not many options I fear. I'm back to following swissie's thread (above) about distance learning by Skype. I was under the false impression that it would be pricey private lessons only but apparently there are group options at regular prices. Depending on what sort of internet connection I can arrange (I'm likely to be in Sangkha), then I'll be seriously considering this alternative.

Alternatively TCA, if you are intent upon staying in Surin, I might suggest to suss out the offerings in Khon Kaen or Korat - as the commute wouldn't be that of a BKK one.

Thanks zzaa09 but more than likely we'll move to Sangkha (near the girlfriend's relatives - but not too near!), so a commute to Surin town would be as much as I'd be prepared to undertake. I'd consider almost any education options which would enable me to study under the ED visa, with the notable exception of training to be a monk or studying something completely useless or uninteresting (to me).

Thanks zzaa09 but more than likely we'll move to Sangkha (near the girlfriend's relatives - but not too near!), so a commute to Surin town would be as much as I'd be prepared to undertake. I'd consider almost any education options which would enable me to study under the ED visa, with the notable exception of training to be a monk or studying something completely useless or uninteresting (to me).

Well....if that's the case, as you're just looking for the easy ED visa, one doesn't have to pursue Thai language studies. I'm almost sure that the forementioned schools have a variety of offerings that associated with the ED visa extension. Thai history studies, arts, etc. I would first check with the registrars office of each place and find out what they offer in relationship with the Education variety of visas for Farang. Then, you wouldn't have to be running off to some distance place regularly.

I probably answered too quickly and jumped the gun a bit there. I don't have the time (or the inclination) to undertake full-time study so imagine that'll narrow down the field considerably. Family commitments would prevent such an endeavour and I wouldn't really be up for commuting 5 days a week.

My preference would be to continue studying the Thai language for a few hours per week, so distance learning by internet is currently my preferred option if there's nothing else close at hand. I'd give Muay Thai training a go though!

• 4 weeks later...