New Bike

Tonto21

Sorry, no great revelation in this topic, but……………….I just had to tell someone; I’m off to pick up my new bike, Yes, I’m getting my fist ‘bouncer’ an EX5. Hopefully I’ll be hitting the dirt, Mae Taeng way sometime this afternoon! Laters

Well done Tonto21, wish you plenty of good time riding it.

I posted two pic. of mine taken during last Sunday ride to Leam Promthep and down to Nai Harn beach, Phuket.

Cheers ‘ad61’ Nice one! Sorry, gotta go……….That bike an’t gonna pick it’s self-up.

Quick question for you; did you buy the shock pump and sag meter, do you need to have that handy?

Laters

They are included mate; you need them to adjust the shock according to your body weight.

Hey ad61……I got it……and took this puppy up into the hills around Mea Taeng this afternoon. I’ve never owned, let alone rode a ‘Boucher’ before, very strange sensation to start with, but it grows on you! Love it, I read a shed load of reviews and have to say I agree with two out of the three main bitches about the bike; hand grips, tires and weight…..The first two I agree with 100%, Grips already gone, tires will follow at the first sign of rain, (they are crap) but weight, <deleted> do you want, a bike that holds up and does the job…..Not on slim fast it won’t, unless you have another pocket full of cash, Porky I can live with, if it mean longevity. I found it rides very different to a hard tail, naturally, and will require a change in riding style. One thing I thought it exceled at, apart from shocking up them kidney melting and filling loosening bumps and lump, its just how well it climbs on loose track, no lock-out, stay in the seat and grind away to the top. Downhill, I’m no down hiller, (self-preservation takes over) I ride on my own most of the time, safety first! She does not drive down like a hard tail, ‘Lesson 101 Bouncer’ me , I’m all over the place, ha ha, can’t hold a line, (like a puppy on a lead) it goes where it wants! Brakes; fantastic, power without being ‘grabby’ gears; fine, forks; a tad notchy, hopefully they will give with time. Ass end….sorted.

Bottom line, I already know I will never outride this bike, as partners it will always do the leading, that’s fine, that just gives me more scoop to improve!

My verdict, I love it! Now I have six and a half hours till sun up……when I take this puppy back out and try and bust a lung!

Morning Tonto21.... did you had a good night, dreaming of fantastic rides on your new babe? 5555

I'm in complete agreement with your coments, I've also changed the hand grips and plan to do the same with the tires asap; for the weight, don't forget that the Ex5 is the entry level model of the Fuel (full suspension) range and an Ex7, 8 or even better 9 would have been much lighter but not on your pocket.

I'm not a hardcore mountainbiker and mostly use my Ex5 in cross country ride style so the weight factor is not of a prior concern to me.

Have a great ride today!

Cheers!

Alain

Good on ya Tonto21 and AD61, looking at converting to the Full Suss Darkside myself in the near future. Trek Fuel X right up there on the top of the VFM affordable list but also considering the Giant Trance X4 which is available for quite a bit less here in LOS with comparable components and similar ratings on the MTB reviews. Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

BTW; good video here on YouTube explaining how the pivot system on the Trek is better with regard to braking.

So what's the skinny, you guys reckon it's true??

Keeping my TV eyes and ears open for more reports and pics - keep em coming.....

Hey AD61 - do you ride on the Phuket Bash?? Meaning to get over there one of these months, especially as I know and have hashed with some of the characters from the Phuket H3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1AoXUZ5-w4&feature=player_embedded#at=40

Good on ya Tonto21 and AD61, looking at converting to the Full Suss Darkside myself in the near future. Trek Fuel X right up there on the top of the VFM affordable list but also considering the Giant Trance X4 which is available for quite a bit less here in LOS with comparable components and similar ratings on the MTB reviews. Hmmm, decisions, decisions.

BTW; good video here on YouTube explaining how the pivot system on the Trek is better with regard to braking.

So what's the skinny, you guys reckon it's true??

Keeping my TV eyes and ears open for more reports and pics - keep em coming.....

Hey AD61 - do you ride on the Phuket Bash?? Meaning to get over there one of these months, especially as I know and have hashed with some of the characters from the Phuket H3.

http://www.youtube.c..._embedded#at=40

Sorry yotspeed. For not replying sooner, I’m in the Philippines, (not a lot of tinternet time) Thanks for the vid, I will have a look when I get time. As for witch ‘bouncer’ is the best…..Who know, but ‘Giant’ make good bikes as well. Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

They are included mate; you need them to adjust the shock according to your body weight.

Hey ad61……I got it……and took this puppy up into the hills around Mea Taeng this afternoon. I’ve never owned, let alone rode a ‘Boucher’ before, very strange sensation to start with, but it grows on you! Love it, I read a shed load of reviews and have to say I agree with two out of the three main bitches about the bike; hand grips, tires and weight…..The first two I agree with 100%, Grips already gone, tires will follow at the first sign of rain, (they are crap) but weight, <deleted> do you want, a bike that holds up and does the job…..Not on slim fast it won’t, unless you have another pocket full of cash, Porky I can live with, if it mean longevity. I found it rides very different to a hard tail, naturally, and will require a change in riding style. One thing I thought it exceled at, apart from shocking up them kidney melting and filling loosening bumps and lump, its just how well it climbs on loose track, no lock-out, stay in the seat and grind away to the top. Downhill, I’m no down hiller, (self-preservation takes over) I ride on my own most of the time, safety first! She does not drive down like a hard tail, ‘Lesson 101 Bouncer’ me , I’m all over the place, ha ha, can’t hold a line, (like a puppy on a lead) it goes where it wants! Brakes; fantastic, power without being ‘grabby’ gears; fine, forks; a tad notchy, hopefully they will give with time. Ass end….sorted.

Bottom line, I already know I will never outride this bike, as partners it will always do the leading, that’s fine, that just gives me more scoop to improve!

My verdict, I love it! Now I have six and a half hours till sun up……when I take this puppy back out and try and bust a lung!

Tonto.... Okay, I am running out of excuses to ride up there! My old carbon fiber Mantra had everything wear out at once and with the headset bearing finally ejecting itself from the integrated headset, I refurbished my old aluminum Mantra. 800 baht for a paint job, XTR gear and my old Hope hubs and disk brakes and I am good to go. Chris King headset so no worries with this ride. Headed up there next week.

post-498-0-74919100-1303982894_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-31660300-1303982914_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-42487300-1303982934_thumb.jpg

I've been a cyclist all my life but I have no idea what you are talking about.

T Dog.. Tell us about your strip down and repainting. Did you get it bead blasted and powder coated?

How much did it cost you? Done in Chiang Mai?

Looks dope. Nice rig !

Thanks Necktie. The original Klein finish was hard as heck, so the painter just sanded it down, primed and sprayed. Time will tell how it does, but my bikes get knocked around pretty bad anyway so not too worried. The painter did a great job on a complex frame that is very hard to paint. It only cost me 800 baht after the better half got done negotiating. I cut the letters myself from auto decal vinyl. So nice to be riding on new components that actually work!

Well originally someone wrote bouncer not boucher. I know a bouncer is a big guy who kicks troublemakers out of night clubs so I must admit I have never ridden one of those and hope I never do! :D

Well originally someone wrote bouncer not boucher. I know a bouncer is a big guy who kicks troublemakers out of night clubs so I must admit I have never ridden one of those and hope I never do! :D

I take ityou both ride penny-farthings, what a pair of Jessie’s! Is that it? Nothing toadd to the topic a? Just thought you would say, (sorry try and say) somethingwitty. Junglebiker, really!

Note; bouncer,(thanks jungle………whatever!) full suspension bike…duuur! anything else you need to know?

• 1 month later...

I take ityou both ride penny-farthings, what a pair of Jessie's! Is that it? Nothing toadd to the topic a? Just thought you would say, (sorry try and say) somethingwitty. Junglebiker, really!

Note; bouncer,(thanks jungle………whatever!) full suspension bike…duuur! anything else you need to know?

Nice peace of kit, can you tell me the best place to pick one up and how much I'd be looking at parting with for it.

Cheers

I take ityou both ride penny-farthings, what a pair of Jessie's! Is that it? Nothing toadd to the topic a? Just thought you would say, (sorry try and say) somethingwitty. Junglebiker, really!

Nice peace of kit, can you tell me the best place to pick one up and how much I'd be looking at parting with for it.

Cheers

Hi 'Bik4life'Sorry mate, I've only just saw your reply. "You likie the bike"….yes?

OK, the main importers for Trek are 'Probike' based in Bangkok, you can go through them or check out their web-site and find an agent in your area, if you have any problems just email them, I found them very helpful.

Cost….I got mine about 3 months ago. The book price is, or was at that time, 56K, after discount, 46K, all in, delivery and assembly. I don't know where you are, If Chiangmai then 'Jacky's' is the place to go.

3 months in and I'm still impress with it, Check it out and let us know how you get on.

Tonto

Edited by Tonto21