Samsung Mobile Phones - 3G Problem In Bangkok

Lat year I replaced my old dual SIM Samsung mobile with the new Samsung GTB 7722 - all was fine till 3G was provided by AIS in the local area, when my phone started to switch off whenever I was near the phone mast. I took it to the Samsung Service Centre in MBK where they informed me that using a 3G Samsung phone with a 2G SIM can causes problems and they upgraded the software. The upgrade did not fix the issue, so they took my phone to have it 'checked by their technical team'. Six weeks later they still have my phone and have refused to give a refund or replace it.

But the real issue is that in our office we also have 5 other 3G Samsung mobiles also working on AIS 2G and they have the same problem of switching off by themselves.

When I searched on Google under 'Samsung phone switches off' I got 11 million hits covering a range of models. I reckon Samsung have a problem but they are doing a Toyota and keeping quiet about it. And their Service Centres seem to work on the principle that if you mess someone aroung long enough (5 visits and still no resolution) they will eventually give up and buy a Nokia.

Does everyone have the same model? Do you have two SIMs in the phone? If so, which provider(s)? Which slots? If one SIM can you switch slots and still have the same problem? Does it switch off when you are on a call?

It does seem like this model is a bit of a lemon, based on customer reviews. Some say formatting the SD card in a PC solved their problem, some say flashing B7722XEJI1 firmware helped while others say the power switch button is overly sensitive, and it is easy to switch the phone off just by handling it.

But your phone worked fine until AIS installed 3G recently in your proximity. That is perplexing. AIS have pretty limited 3G, when you are in a different area, one without AIS 3G do you still have the same issue?

I have a Samsung 3G phone and have used a 2G SIM (from AIS/One-2-Call) without issue.

Thanks Iomatopo - It's a dual SIM phone and it works OK if my UK SIM is the Primary SIM, but when in Thailand I normally have two AIS SIMs in the phone (one work, one private) and that's when I have problems. It switches off in exactly yht same spots (Chidlom BTS being one - which is directly next to a phone mast) ... the switching off is 100% reliable - always in the same spots. It was Samsung who suggested it was due to 3G being switched on at Chidlom.

The other Samsung phones used by our office have the same problems in the same places ... although an imported Samsung 12 MP camera phone does not have the problem.

When I travel to Korea I have no problems at all ... and Seoul has extensive 3G coverage .... but Samsung told me this is becasue the issue is with the AIS SIM and the local 3G service and when roaming in Korea I should have no problems.

I agree it sounds odd .... but whatever the cause Samsung have a big issue with phones switching off (Judging by our office phones and the Google results) and their Servicee cenrres offer very poor service ... which is why I'd recommend looking at alternative phones.

Latest from Samsung is that they have lost my phone so can not give it back ...... mai pen rai ..... it was a rubbish phone anyway.

But the lesson for me is to not buy any expensive electronic gear in Thailand. Much better for me to buy in UK where there's a system of guarantees and refunds backed up by consumer law. If there's any issues I can at least return the product on my twice-a-year trips back to Blighty.

So the UK has one thing going for it for after all ..... Trading Standards Offcers ..... who'd have guessed!

All I can think of is that when your phone 'finds' a 3G network it wants to switch to that, which might be causing a re-start because of potentially bad code? It may also be related to an AIS problem. Maybe they have implemented something unusual in their new 3G installation? I guess I might try to disable automatic network settings which might enable the phone to switch to 3G. Or try SIMs from another company? Curiously, your model only supports 2100 Mhz 3G In the SIM #1 slot) and AIS operates on 900 Mhz, although they may be starting to install 2100 Mhz 3G gear. TOT have 500+ 2100 Mhz 3G base stations in Bangkok.

You should have gotten a warranty on your phone; you should review that to see what you are entitled to. Keeping your phone for 6 weeks, losing it and not replacing it are all unacceptable.

I do not believe Samsung has some sort massive, worldwide issue with phones switching off. Obviously when one Googles "Samsung Switch off" and sees 11 million hits, 10,999,995 probably describe how to switch the phone off?

Thanks again .... good advice on the phone ...

I still think Samsung have some sort of issue ... searching on 'samsung phone switches itself off' still gets over 6 million hits on Google.

About 6,530,000 results (0.18 seconds)

And we have 6 Samsung phones in the office and 5 have the problem of unintended switching off.

Down a bit from 11,000,000. Things must be getting better. :blink:

I got "About 1,130,000 results (0.15 seconds)". Looks like they have fixed more than 5 million problems. :rolleyes:

And I'd suggest that whoever is in charge of purchasing in your office should be fired (sacked), or promoted. Obviously this model is a PoS; anyone who did any research before purchase would have steered clear.

Edited by lomatopo

I got "About 1,130,000 results (0.15 seconds)". Looks like they have fixed more than 5 million problems. :rolleyes:

And I'd suggest that whoever is in charge of purchasing in your office should be fired (sacked), or promoted. Obviously this model is a PoS; anyone who did any research before purchase would have steered clear.

Well the research was done by one of my local team .... but I signed the purchase order :whistling: .... so it's all my fault ... as usual .. but I think I'll give myself a break. The office phones are a different model but display the same fault.

I don't understand Google - but it seems to get different hits depending on which Google site you use?

But the phones and the customer service still suck.

Think we'll shift to LG?

Well the research was done by one of my local team .... but I signed the purchase order :whistling: .... so it's all my fault ... as usual .. but I think I'll give myself a break. The office phones are a different model but display the same fault.

I don't understand Google - but it seems to get different hits depending on which Google site you use?

But the phones and the customer service still suck.

Think we'll shift to LG?

HTC are the way to go - the best !!

Just get an iPhone.

As for the Samsung - couldn't you just turn off 3G? I do that sometimes on the iPhone when the networks start acting up - which only seems to happen in the USA, probably thanks to crap coverage. If you turn off 3G then the phone wouldn't try to connect to AIS 3G, and maybe wouldn't crash?

PS: Yes, Google has different results if you use a country-specific site. E.g. Google.co.th will have different results from Google.com.

Edited by nikster

Do the other phones also switch off in the same place? (Chidlom).

Are they also dual sim models?

I have a Nokia E72 with a "one sim 2 numbers" sim card. One number is an AIS 1 2 call and the other is an AIS post paid. I have noticed I always get disconnected as I approach Chidlom area on the BTS Skytrain whereas other people don't have problems. I also get disconnected in other areas where other people using AIS have no problems.

I bought a new 1 2 call sim and inserted that in my phone instead of the dual number sim. Hey presto I wasn't disconnected.

In other words could it be something to do with AIS and not your phone?

Edited by petedk

Ehhh... so I've had a lot of problems with my iPhone yesterday in the Tong Lo area. Maybe True is doing something funny with the networks?

At first, I only had Edge - even though it's supposed to be a 3G area. Then the phone stopped working altogether. Couldn't make phone calls, couldn't send text messages. Restarted the phone manually which resolved the problem, I was on 3G again. Later on I had more issues with the phone switching to and from 3G over there. A bit of a funky network, I think...

Phone didn't crash or turn off though ;)

It must the Chitlom Triangle .... phones mysteriously switch off and girlfriends disappear into Central Department store then costs appear on your credit card??

But ... I must give Samsung Customer Service credit where it's due, after I did a 'Jai Lorn' walk-out of the Service Centre following my fifth visit they phoned me today to say they are refunding the cost of the phone.

Now I need to find a new phone that will work in the Chitlom Triangle.