How Important Is Abs On Your Car ?

Oh !! Lord and master of the motor forum hear my cry, not all motors on the road have these safety feature I only answered the op question with my own opinion, no need to make insulting remarks.:rolleyes:

Think aimed at me. :D

There has been a great program on True about rich guys racing old performance rides at various tracks around Europe, great fun but safety, adequate brakes etc were a non event, fun with risk was the buzz. :)

And those same previous drivers from those by gone eras have led the way and continue to lead the way in safety enhancements for drivers and vehicles.. They are the biggest advocates of such changes and in the vintage racing you're referring to all the cars have modern SAFETY features for the drivers..

And those same previous drivers from those by gone eras have led the way and continue to lead the way in safety enhancements for drivers and vehicles.. They are the biggest advocates of such changes and in the vintage racing you're referring to all the cars have modern SAFETY features for the drivers..

Such as ?

Such as what? Safety for the vintage cars? Or safety implemented by former drivers?

The cars now have roll cages most didn't have in their former life.

-Fuel cells instead of the old dangerous fuel tanks.

-5 point harnesses

-Properly supported racing seats

-On board fire extinguisher systems

-A product of more modern technology not necessarily a safety upgrade but the modern tire compounds are light years ahead and steel belted.

-The drivers have HANS devices

-Fire suits

-Proper helmets

-Proper seat belts be it 5 or 6 point

-Engine kill switches

The race tracks have proper safety equipment and well trained marshalls.

-Gravel traps or better runoffs

-No track side hazards like hay bails, trees or rocks that aren't protected by barriers like tire walls and armco.

Well one of the most publicized is Jackie Stewart for example.. But in fact many others as well, just most petition less publicly..

-Jim Downing a former top sports car driver who co-invented the HANS device..

-How about Bill Simpson? Know who he is as a former drag racer?

How many more shall I name??

Edited by WarpSpeed

Semper did I miss something? This is a thread on ABS braking, a legitimate braking discussion :ph34r: ..

Good to see you spelled "braking" correctly as so few who post do :D ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I first had ABS on my car in 1995. Now I would not go without it. Being able to steer and brake at the same time is a great advantage.

Did not have to wait long before I used it to miss a cow moose with calf on a ice-covered road. Odds are I would have gone bye-bye without it.

Semper did I miss something? This is a thread on ABS braking, a legitimate braking discussion :ph34r: ..

I was just referring to the previous topic. Braking with you right or left foot. :)

I think that ABS is very good for all driving, except maybe for racing, where one needs to control the brakes manually.

I was just referring to the previous topic. Braking with you right or left foot. :)

I think that ABS is very good for all driving, except maybe for racing, where one needs to control the brakes manually.

Oh! Got it...

Actually it is also a very large advantage in racing which is why I posted that it is banned in most every series where it could come into play.. They do it to level the playing field between those competition cars that have it and those that don't as well as drivers ability removing mechanical aids from the equation just like traction control...

Dont forget ABS is about being able to turn while hard braking not just stopping quickly.

Go out on a dirt road with a car with out ABS and slam on the brakes and try and turn, you will go straight ahead. Do the same test in a car with ABS and you will see the difference as you will still be able to steer the car under hard braking.

The problem there is people depend on barkes and steering only they forget the power of the engine. At a high speed if a person locks up the brakes cranks the wheel to one side and pushes the gas pedal to the floor at the same time , they will find the car does a complete 180 degree turn within a very short distance, more likely immediately turn.

Dont forget ABS is about being able to turn while hard braking not just stopping quickly.

Go out on a dirt road with a car with out ABS and slam on the brakes and try and turn, you will go straight ahead. Do the same test in a car with ABS and you will see the difference as you will still be able to steer the car under hard braking.

The problem there is people depend on barkes and steering only they forget the power of the engine. At a high speed if a person locks up the brakes cranks the wheel to one side and pushes the gas pedal to the floor at the same time , they will find the car does a complete 180 degree turn within a very short distance, more likely immediately turn.

Ok you do that and I will stick to braking and steering :lol:

I get the impression that some are not aware that it is ANTI_LOCK Braking System - not automatic.

Locked wheels have little or no traction therefore they brake the car more slowly and have little or no directional control

Edited by Deeral

ABS 0 is often outlawed on race tracks as it gave an ADVANTAGE to the cars with it - and was deemed to require less skill to drive with. Nothing to do with a drivers superior manual control over the brakes

^ :huh:B)

Oh! Got it...

Actually it is also a very large advantage in racing which is why I posted that it is banned in most every series where it could come into play.. They do it to level the playing field between those competition cars that have it and those that don't as well as drivers ability removing mechanical aids from the equation just like traction control...