Bangkok Post: Their Papers Are Not For Sale

george

Post newsmen said their papers are not for sale

BANGKOK: -- A group of over 20 reporters and photographers from the Post Publishing PCL. made a statement against attempt to hold majority stake by entertainment conglomerate GMM Media.

Wearing black shirts with the message “Bangkok Post, Post Today : Not for Sale” these newsmen gathered at the Government House to hand out a statement against heavy-handed interference by businesses in editorial independence.

Bangkok Post, Thailand’s oldest English language newspaper and its Thai language sister daily Post Today are owned by Post Publishing PCL, whose shares were being sought by GMM Media for majority holdings. GMM Media just backed out of a similar deal to take over Matichon Publishing following an outpour of public outcry against its bid.

The Post journalists called upon the investors, and businessmen to stop acts of interference and infringement into the editorial independence. They also demanded to have a say in the choice of the new editor-in-chief.

The incumbent Bangkok Post editor is an expatriate widely seen as a stop-gap replacement for the predecessor who was made to exit prematurely.

The Post journalists pledged to defend their integrity and editorial independence in the public interest.

--TNA 2005-09-20

But only 20 turned up! As for the farang, my guess is many of the foreigners there are long-term residents and wouldn't have anywhere to go if they walked off the job. So I doubt we'll see them waving any placards no matter how they feel. And, anyway, the foreigners aren't involved in writing political news.

I think Bangkok Post should deliver that "not for sale" black T-shirt to the subscribers with the newspaper. Anybody knows where I can get it? I'm now having my wife call Bangkok post and ask if they can deliver it to my home......

Edited by Nordlys

Bangkok Post is owned by Jiratheewat family who are not known for "progressive" management methods. It's a family business where people with the family name get preferential treatment even if don't desreve as much as a Christmas present. As for media freedom, there's no evidence they put it above their business interests, just like Paiboon. They have changed BP senior editors three times lats year. That should tell you something.

It can't get any worse than it is now.