Thais Hate - Connected MPs, People Who Litter: Poll

webfact

Thaddeus instead of leaving how about fixing the problem.

Well, that is the point I was making, or trying to make with my comment.

Every time a topic is started in here by a non-Thai forum member about any niggle, large or small, sooner or later, usually sooner these days, someone will make the 'if you don't like it, leave' statement.

This irks me somewhat, as most of the problems we would like to fix, we could do ourselves, be we aren't allowed to as this isn't our country.

Now we have Thai nationals saying that they 'hate' litter, a rather strong word in my opinion, well, they have the power to fix it, and they have no excuse for not fixing it, it's their country, but like many things that Thais complain about, it always seems to be somebody else's problem.

Lord knows how many years ago, we started a "Keep Britain Tidy" campaign because, quite frankly, we were a nation of litter louts. Sturdy rubbish bins (trash cans for our merican members) were installed countrywide where people gathered, and Public Information Films were shown on television, people were instructed to take their rubbish home with them if there were no bins around, and some fairly hefty fines were imposed for people who were caught littering.

It took years, but it worked.

As Phil said earlier, he has never seen a westerner litter to much extent and neither have I. What I have seen is westerners with their kids, self made or inherited, teaching them to put stuff in the bin. It isn't difficult and requires little effort, one day I'm hoping to see some adult Thais do the same thing.

96.3% of ABAC polls are fundamentally flawed

87.1% of ABAC polls are conducted on the college grounds

The list could go on...

And 99.473 % of ABAC pollster distribute their questionnaires and conduct their surveys in the very same short soi where their so-called "Research Center" is located. So much for a "countrywide" survey.

I also recall the time when an acquainted ABAC student called me, asking me to fill out a questionnaire. It asked questions about the use of beauty products amongst Thai females. I pointed out to her that I was male and not Thai. She kept begging me though, saying she'd fail her class if she didn't submit her survey within a certain time frame. So I succumbed, put myself in the shoes (size 4 1/2) of a Thai female with aspirations of becoming whiter than Michael Jackson and completed the questionnaire. She was delighted. I felt guilty.

ABAC polls are a joke.

Every time a topic is started in here by a non-Thai forum member about any niggle, large or small, sooner or later, usually sooner these days, someone will make the 'if you don't like it, leave' statement.

This irks me somewhat, as most of the problems we would like to fix, we could do ourselves, be we aren't allowed to as this isn't our country.

Now we have Thai nationals saying that they 'hate' litter, a rather strong word in my opinion, well, they have the power to fix it, and they have no excuse for not fixing it, it's their country, but like many things that Thais complain about, it always seems to be somebody else's problem.

Lord knows how many years ago, we started a "Keep Britain Tidy" campaign because, quite frankly, we were a nation of litter louts. Sturdy rubbish bins (trash cans for our merican members) were installed countrywide where people gathered, and Public Information Films were shown on television, people were instructed to take their rubbish home with them if there were no bins around, and some fairly hefty fines were imposed for people who were caught littering.

As Phil said earlier, he has never seen a westerner litter to much extent and neither have I. What I have seen is westerners with their kids, self made or inherited, teaching them to put stuff in the bin. It isn't difficult and requires little effort, one day I'm hoping to see some adult Thais do the same thing.

If you think pissing on the wall is bad try this. About 2 weeks ago my daughter was drinking at the water fountain in Tesco Lotus, next to the fountain was a bin for the waste cups. I stared in amazement when a mother lifted her 5-6 yr old son up and she held him up while he p1ssed in the bin in the middle of Tesco. Being farang thats well out of order so I told her, she just looked me up and down like I was shit and walked away. My daughter asked "Daddy why the little boy not go toilet" I just replied that his mum and Dad are too lazy to teach him right and wrong and dont you ever do that". What I really wanted to say could not be printed here. Too many people hide this obnoxious behaviour behind 'culture' > Farangs trying to teach their children the right way have a hard time in Thailand bcos all around them they see children doing the opposite.

"you no farang, you no understand Thai way, you go home now" Lazy B4st4rds

If you think pissing on the wall is bad try this. About 2 weeks ago my daughter was drinking at the water fountain in Tesco Lotus, next to the fountain was a bin for the waste cups. I stared in amazement when a mother lifted her 5-6 yr old son up and she held him up while he p1ssed in the bin in the middle of Tesco. Being farang thats well out of order so I told her, she just looked me up and down like I was shit and walked away. My daughter asked "Daddy why the little boy not go toilet" I just replied that his mum and Dad are too lazy to teach him right and wrong and dont you ever do that". What I really wanted to say could not be printed here. Too many people hide this obnoxious behaviour behind 'culture' > Farangs trying to teach their children the right way have a hard time in Thailand bcos all around them they see children doing the opposite.

The obnoxious Thai lady knew very well that her behaviour, in letting her child pee in the waste bin, was wrong. What she didn't expect was to be confronted by you telling her off. Generally Thais will not complain directly to someone who is doing something wrong. That enables them all to get away with almost anything, littering, bad driving, etc. as nobody tells them off except for the few instances of being caught by TBIB. If that non-confrontation behaviour is CULTURE then it SUCKS.

I have also seen Chinese parents getting their kids to pee on the floor in Chinese supermarkets, with the toilets a mere 20 metres away.

The mentality of it really makes no sense at all.

How to conduct a survey!

PJ, many thanks for the Yes Minister clip, almost forgot what good humour was and of course is a lesson for all those who believe without question the various polls. MPs who think they are above the people who they are meant to serve, would do well at looking at what is happening in the Middle East. There are still many barriers in Thai Society that need to be dismantled to give people real freedom of speech and true democracy. No doubt it will come in time, but probably not my time.

I am confused....is this poll real? Can we know more details about how the poll was conducted. As far as I am concerned and having been in Thailand for 19 years now.......thais do not care about littering, even in new condo projects, you have them sweeping their hairs and dirt into the main corridors. Littering.......they do it all the time.

About moral values, etc......they do not care....as long as it benefits them and they gain from it. Oh Pleeze......what garbage is this poll?

yes, yes, and yes. I can hardly believe how Thai people's behavior differs so much to most Westerners. There seems to be little respect for most "things." Seems like as long as one smiles and wais then "their good." LOL And let's not forget FACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How a/b this...have you ever seen a parent led the child to the swimming pool to relieve themselves - while standing outside it? !!!!!! PIGS

Talk a/b littering... We are renting a house in Isaan. The yard had - I swear - inches of trash. Yea, the entire side and back yard. As if it was a designated DUMP. I spent days getting it up and out. Even now the crap seems to just pop up to the service. When in "someone holy name" is the trash pick up in this country????? Oh i know the adopted slogan is "burn baby burn." ????? Pityful.

Exactly, Who is it that hates littering here? No one seems to give it a second thought...it's like second nature to just drop whatever paper your holding onto the ground.

And if you want to hate Thai's just try driving in Bangkok for a few days...the most selfish drivers I've ever encountered.

Guess you can add 'being hypocritical' on the list.

You don't have to drive to find this out - you just have to try crossing the street.

Have an idea for you. Buy a knuckle and hit the car you just managed to avoid being run over by. Either the driver will have a heart attack or he will brake. In which case he will be rear-ended by the follower. Works wonders.