Flood Situation Gets Worse In Thailand's Mid-South

webfact

THOUSANDS STRANDED ON KOH SAMUI

Flood situation gets worse in mid-South

By The Nation

30152005-01.jpg

Bad weather closes Nakhon Si Thammarat, Samui airports; deaths rise to 9

Flooding in the South has stalled services at Nakhon Si Thammarat and Samui airports.

Thousands of passengers were stranded on Koh Samui in Surat Thani province yesterday, while Nakhon Si Thammarat Airport has been closed since Sunday.

Tourists on the island of Samui had completely lost access to the mainland as of press time because ferry services were also suspended.

As the severe flooding raged on in the South, the death toll rose to nine.

Flood waters are now wreaking havoc in the provinces of Chumphon, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Surat Thani, Trang, Krabi and Phatthalung.

PM's Office Minister Satit Wongnongtaey, who chairs a committee on flood-relief operations, yesterday told inhabitants and authorities in Phang Nga and Phuket provinces also to brace for possible flooding, with heavy downpours expected to continue in the South until tomorrow.

"We are paying great attention to landslide risks. People in risky areas have already been evacuated,"the minister said. There are 28 landslide-prone spots in Phatthalung alone.

In the wake of the serious flooding, Nakhon Si Thammarat Governor Thira Mintarasak said he had declared the whole province a disaster zone.

Mar-28-Flood-at-the-south.jpg

"The situation is worrying. I have instructed rescue workers to help get the sick, the elderly, pregnant women, children and those with disabilities out of risk areas first," he said.

Flood water was still more than 1 metre deep at various spots in Nakhon Si Thammarat yesterday.

Transport Minister Sophon Saram told the Cabinet that although the water level at Nakhon Si Thammarat Airport had dropped, it was still raining in the locality.

He said officials would have to check infrastructure at the airport before deciding whether it was safe to resume services.

Civil Aviation Department director-general Somchai Janrod said the water level at the airport had fallen from 50 to 20 centimetres. "We have assigned officials to clean and clear the runaway and taxiway," he said.

He added that it would, however, take at least a week to check the electrical system because the power supply had been cut at the airport.

The situation in other parts of Nakhon Si Thammarat province is also serious.

"This is the worst flooding in three decades," said Tha Sala Hospital director Kitti Rattanasombat. He said his hospital had already transferred more than 30 inpatients to another medical facility because of the rising flood water.

Kitti added that the flooding had caused about Bt40 million in damage to medical equipment and a power generator.

Public Health Minister Jurin Laksanawisit said the floods had also ravaged 10 other hospitals in the South.

He said there were now eight confirmed deaths, seven of them in Nakhon Si Thammarat and the other in Surat Thani.

However, locals in Phatthalung reported a ninth death, that of seven-year-old Zordeeleen Senkliang.

To date, 13 districts of Surat Thani have been declared disaster zones, with the inundation having damaged four bridges, 11 roads and two temples.

Education Minister Chinnaworn Boonyakiat said the flooding had damaged 613 schools in Trang, Krabi, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Surat Thani, Songkhla and Phatthalung.

Bangkok Airways cancelled all 36 domestic and international flights in and out of Samui yesterday, due to the severe thunderstorms hitting the island and the surrounding area. It said affected passengers should contact its ticketing office to rebook their flights at no additional charge.

Meanwhile, just as the floods have been raging in the South, Satit said 47 other provinces were suffering from drought.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-29

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This will test the infrastructure in Samui or lack of.

With landslides pending ,poor drainage , inevitable pollution ........this will set Samui back a decade if its all as bad as they report the situation to be..

Unfortunately his was always something that had to happen , I feel sorry for those that bought big houses in those precarious hill top positions.

Developers offering 4WD,s to those people that bought houses on 45 degree radiants

Possibly the only well drained realestate developments would be the golf courses ,built by European professionals.

Back to the drawing board !

I am in the UK at the moment, But have just spoken to my wife in Samui and she says the situation is very grave in the Lamai beach area, Directly fronting the beach and up as far as Lamai pearl resort.

Peoples restaurants and bars are being swamped by rain and large waves, I hope this eases soon.

Doesn't say much for the people who are in charge of drainage systems. I don't know what parameters they use down there, but last time I checked, water flows downhill - and the more water expected, the larger the drain pipe which needs to be installed. Heck, it's not even the official start of the monsoon, and the ground isn't yet fully saturated - how much worse will it be when the ground is saturated and waterways are swollen? If engineers can figure out how to use it, I'll donate a plumb level to their cause. What's the address: Royal Thai Engineer Society, Surat Tani?

P.S. this is they type of competence one might expect from a society whose school system systematically allows youngsters to graduate - when they don't have a handle on their specialties. Anyone familiar with Thai Colleges and U's knows that all students graduate - regardless of test scores, attendance, adeptness, etc. So, if you were charged with building a bridge or sewer, would you hire a Thai engineer?

Edited by brahmburgers

My wife's parents house flooded for the first time in 30 years, with water inside the house well over 1m deep. Several other houses in the area have also been inundated with water. This is between the military camp and the Nakhon Si Thammarat airport.

This will test the infrastructure in Samui or lack of.

With landslides pending ,poor drainage , inevitable pollution ........this will set Samui back a decade if its all as bad as they report the situation to be..

Unfortunately his was always something that had to happen , I feel sorry for those that bought big houses in those precarious hill top positions.

Developers offering 4WD,s to those people that bought houses on 45 degree radiants

Possibly the only well drained realestate developments would be the golf courses ,built by European professionals.

Back to the drawing board !

Thanks for your concern. Undoubtedly Samui like many other places is not without infrastructure problems. However you need to do a little more research before you post such dramatic statements. November 2005 saw floods of even worse proportions and within a week of the floods subsiding, Samui was up and running again. The same thing happened in Oct/Nov last year and within a week it was up and running again. Therefore I suggest the 10 year recovery you suggest will be required may be laughable. But we all enjoy a good laugh!

Are you sure you feel sorry for those with big houses?

Get back to your own drawing board and do a bit more research!

By the way you don't have to have poor infrastructure to suffer from floods. Check out Queensland.

Edited by nod

415 mm of rain over KohSamui in the last 24 hr!!! More than 1000 mm of rain in Nakhon Si Thammarat and neighbouring areas in less than 5 days. With such amount of rain it is hard to avoid floods.

Edited by Thunder26

I was on Samui for the month of December which is a relatively dry time of the year. Stayed in Mae Nam which incidentally means mother of water, so named because or the constant rain, even during the dry season. With only moderate rains, there was still standing water in many places on roadways and other areas. And there was constant drainage coming down from the elevated central lands. Paradisial places like Koh Samui also generally come with a down side. This one's is lots of yearly rainfall and saturated land. Just like living on the San Andreas faultline, or near an active volcano, or a flood plain region near a major river, an area with lots of rain and poor or nonexsistent engineering oversight by a competent entity, this is a disaster waiting to happen as development continues without planning for the elements and their effect on the land's stability or storm water management. The locals deserve empathy/sympathy. The wealthy falang who go there, buy land with awesome views on a bluff of unshored earth, put up a big house and subsequently watch it slide down a hill do not.Hopefully there will be minimal loss of life and I do not wish that anyone have tragedy in their lives. I'm just saying that if you build in a danger zone...................... sometimes the view out your living room window just isn't worth it.

415 mm of rain over KohSamui in the last 24 hr!!! More than 1000 mm of rain in Nakhon Si Thammarat and neighbouring areas in less than 5 days. With such amount of rain it is hard to avoid floods.

My son flys into Phuket from Oz tomorrow. Them to Koh Lanta on Thursday. Does anyone know if you can still get there?

Doesn't say much for the people who are in charge of drainage systems. I don't know what parameters they use down there, but last time I checked, water flows downhill - and the more water expected, the larger the drain pipe which needs to be installed. Heck, it's not even the official start of the monsoon, and the ground isn't yet fully saturated - how much worse will it be when the ground is saturated and waterways are swollen? If engineers can figure out how to use it, I'll donate a plumb level to their cause. What's the address: Royal Thai Engineer Society, Surat Tani?

P.S. this is they type of competence one might expect from a society whose school system systematically allows youngsters to graduate - when they don't have a handle on their specialties. Anyone familiar with Thai Colleges and U's knows that all students graduate - regardless of test scores, attendance, adeptness, etc. So, if you were charged with building a bridge or sewer, would you hire a Thai engineer?

The worst hit areas are on the east coast, which is mostly effected by the Northeast Monsoon, usually prevailing from November through April. So really, pretty much at the end of the rainy season and the grounds are kinda saturated.

My son flys into Phuket from Oz tomorrow. Them to Koh Lanta on Thursday. Does anyone know if you can still get there?

Phuket airport open and operating.

To Lanta they'll need to go by ground transportation at this point as the ferries are stopped at this time.

I am in the UK at the moment, But have just spoken to my wife in Samui and she says the situation is very grave in the Lamai beach area, Directly fronting the beach and up as far as Lamai pearl resort.

Peoples restaurants and bars are being swamped by rain and large waves, I hope this eases soon.

I am in California and we have rain 4-5 days non stop, day in and day out and now we will have super Quake. My house is not far from the quake zone. My family and I are preparing for the strike. Now I am worry about the Thai people. Hope their government are preparing for the worst.Sorry to hear about the grave situation in 5 provinces. Hope the waves and rain stop soon. So, everyone has time to earn the living. My take and an opinion.

I took a break from following the gloom and doom of Japan's disasters and evolving nuclear crisis, to look at what's happening here in Thailand. I'm embarrassed to admit I had no idea this level of flooding was already happening. It's a sad deal when people lose their homes and livelihoods. At least so far the loss of life has been low--although that's no consolation whatsoever for the families affected.

I can't help wonder how much are these bad situations exacerbated by the pervasive corruption here. Unqualified contractors often get the construction jobs to begin with because of money and/or family ties; they then cut corners to save money because they pay off the inspectors and know they won't be caught; then local public officials usurp O&M funds so they can buy more personal land--and payoff their own bosses; etc. With pervasive corruption, nobody stands up for the public good; so how can any real good be delivered to the public?

I memtioned this on the Japan thread, but I'll pass it along again here. Years ago I had a professor that proposed a simple financial incentive approach to development in danger zones in countries/areas where insurance prevails. His proposal was that for natural disasters, insurance policies should payoff only once. If you get flooded, for example, you can take your settlement and rebuild out of the flood plain. If you don't, and if you ever get flooded again--you will not receive another settlement. The choice would be yours.

Edited by atsiii

The new drainage system on Samui after the 2005 floods did a lot of good actually. It still doesn't help areas like Hua Thanon much, but around Chaweng and Bophut it has worked a treat. I don't mind so much because in Thong Krut (where I stay when I'm on Samui) the rain just runs off into the sea. The work they did on the roads was not so efficient.

I'm not on Samui at the moment (thank goodness!). But of the 2005 flood, the 2010 one and this one, the 2005 one was the worst because of the poor drainage. Locals were saying it was the worst in 50 years. A lot more water actually fell during the 2010 one but it didn't do as much damage because of the drainage system. So I expect it to perform as well this year too.

But it's VERY unusual (I've never seen it) to get such heavy rain at this time of year on Samui. Normally people are running low on water due to no rain since early December.

I was on Samui for the month of December which is a relatively dry time of the year. Stayed in Mae Nam which incidentally means mother of water, so named because or the constant rain, even during the dry season. With only moderate rains, there was still standing water in many places on roadways and other areas. And there was constant drainage coming down from the elevated central lands. Paradisial places like Koh Samui also generally come with a down side. This one's is lots of yearly rainfall and saturated land. Just like living on the San Andreas faultline, or near an active volcano, or a flood plain region near a major river, an area with lots of rain and poor or nonexsistent engineering oversight by a competent entity, this is a disaster waiting to happen as development continues without planning for the elements and their effect on the land's stability or storm water management. The locals deserve empathy/sympathy. The wealthy falang who go there, buy land with awesome views on a bluff of unshored earth, put up a big house and subsequently watch it slide down a hill do not.Hopefully there will be minimal loss of life and I do not wish that anyone have tragedy in their lives. I'm just saying that if you build in a danger zone...................... sometimes the view out your living room window just isn't worth it.

To Thai people MaeNam means river. In MaeNam's case this refers to the fact that a river flows out through it. (Just under the bridge by Soi 1.)

The literal translation of MaeNam is as you say Mother Water, but this has nothing to do with Maenam the town (other than for the above reason) It's just a general term for all rivers in Thailand.

It rains no more in MaeNam during the dry season than anywhere else in Samui which is a very small Island that you can on a good day, drive fully round in under an hour. Or do you imagine that God specifically leaves a special hole open in his watering can for MaeNam?!

The month of December in Samui is at the end of the monsoon/rainy season for Samui. It generally runs from about mid Oct to mid December, but it of course is movable a week or two either way. Everyone always hopes for great weather in December ( and often get it ) because it combines with Christmas holidays. However increasingly bizarre weather patterns are being experienced all around the globe and Samui is no exception. Witness this extraordinary spell at the moment when we should be expecting good sunshine most of the time.

Regarding your comments about people's homes. Every one would feel sympathy for anybody whose livelihood or welfare is badly affected by flooding, especially those who can ill afford it and generally everyone helps out where they can.

Pithy comments like yours, intimating satisfaction and little sympathy for those owning large homes are usually made by people eaten up by envy who can't afford to have what they would dearly love to have.

Go and educate yourself on the meaning of town names, geography and weather patterns, try and adjust your selective sympathy and then come back on and make an intelligent post.

So unseasonal heavy rains that over whelm the infastructure is another reason to slag Thais, people need to get over it. Using this comparison I guess I wouldn't hire a engineer from OZ.

What about seasonal heavy rain? Infrastructure? Planning? What's that? Storm drains built on the higher side of the road, landfill where there used to be natural drainage, clearing land on steep hillsides for development, etc, etc... Common sense or greed? Water will still always take the path of least resistance, no matter where.

Properties are always at the mercy of the elements and weather in Thailand. Now you know why most Thais dont build houses built to last? Maybe a house can last 10/15 years here before it needs a rebuild. Why pay too much when it wont last?

Places like Samui regularly have extreme weather; i have experienced it personally. Flooding and landslides are common.

yes, finally, liveable colder weather in thailand, good for the environment, less or no need for airco

I lived for years without aircon here. I did finally put one in my bedroom for the really humid nights and it's set to 28. Maybe Thailand isn't for you. Most of us who have lived here for years are cold!

To Thai people MaeNam means river. In MaeNam's case this refers to the fact that a river flows out through it. (Just under the bridge by Soi 1.)

The literal translation of MaeNam is as you say Mother Water, but this has nothing to do with Maenam the town (other than for the above reason) It's just a general term for all rivers in Thailand.

It rains no more in MaeNam during the dry season than anywhere else in Samui which is a very small Island that you can on a good day, drive fully round in under an hour. Or do you imagine that God specifically leaves a special hole open in his watering can for MaeNam?!

The month of December in Samui is at the end of the monsoon/rainy season for Samui. It generally runs from about mid Oct to mid December, but it of course is movable a week or two either way. Everyone always hopes for great weather in December ( and often get it ) because it combines with Christmas holidays. However increasingly bizarre weather patterns are being experienced all around the globe and Samui is no exception. Witness this extraordinary spell at the moment when we should be expecting good sunshine most of the time.

Regarding your comments about people's homes. Every one would feel sympathy for anybody whose livelihood or welfare is badly affected by flooding, especially those who can ill afford it and generally everyone helps out where they can.

Pithy comments like yours, intimating satisfaction and little sympathy for those owning large homes are usually made by people eaten up by envy who can't afford to have what they would dearly love to have.

Go and educate yourself on the meaning of town names, geography and weather patterns, try and adjust your selective sympathy and then come back on and make an intelligent post.

You're right that Maenam means river, but I thought that Maenam was thus named because of the swamp between the ring road and the shoreline (from the post office right up to the Chinese temple!). I used to live around the post office (2004?) when there were no concrete roads. When the water level rose, access to the whole place was difficult, unless you're 100m from the ring road. I remember trying to get to a party at Morning Glory once. Impossible, the whole (dirt) road was 1m underwater!

Nonetheless, no need to castrate 61guitarman61 too much - yes he's wrong about the details and yes he's unduly cynical about real estate developers, but I think the majority can see he's being facetious when he suggests "wealthy falangs do not deserve sympathy/empathy". Of course they do, to suggest otherwise is downright idiotic.

I also think that areas of Samui do attract more rainfall than others. It always seems to rain whenever I'm between Baan Saket and Bang Makham (so the whole Nathon area). I can only offer the deforestation reason, which surprises me because (I think) most of the deforestation is in the hills behind Chaweng.