Thailand To Hire 300 Native English-Speaking Teachers

george

I have a BS and an MS from good US universities. I have several years of teaching experience both in science and general topics (I don't hide that I don't have TEFL experience, but I do have experience teaching kids of all ages and am able to engage them so they're interested). I applied to and was offered a job teaching science and math at a private English immersion school in Bangkok a few weeks before the semester started last fall. While I was in the airport in Seoul in between flights (airfare coming out of my own pocket mind you), I got an email from the 25 year old American running the English department saying that he'd decided to give the job to his friend who happened to call up that morning looking for a job. He had no science or math background, but he had a degree, spoke English, and was the guy's friend, so I guess they chose the most qualified guy :annoyed:

So, I was in Bangkok with a 60 day visa. I decided based on what I hear about native English speakers in Thailand that it shouldn't be hard to just knock on a few doors and find a job. Even if it's not teaching science, I would be happy to get the experience.

You know, I truly enjoy teaching, and I like interacting with Thais. I have spent a lot of time with my girlfriend's young relatives and relatives of friends (she's from Chiang Mai) as well as a lot of students from Chiang Mai University (where I did some research for my MS in geology). Young Thai people seem to like me, especially kids. I'm young (24), smart, reasonably good looking, and I dress nicely (as we know these things can matter a lot in Thailand). I won't get into the accent argument, but I come from a region of the US with a very mild accent - most native English speakers don't recognize any accent at all (other than being obviously American rather than British - due to the lack of the British accent, not because of a strong American accent).

So if there's a shortage of teachers, why couldn't I find a job?

I gave up after a month (the semester started) of putting in applications and knocking on doors. I spent a few weeks with my girlfriend then went back to the US.

From what I can tell, even if you do one of the TEFL courses offered in Thailand, you're not guaranteed a job or anything - a couple places offer cut-rate TEFL courses and claim guaranteed job placement, but they don't seem very reputable.

As others have said already, there are obviously big problems with the system in place. That the infamously bad backpacker-type foreign teachers are able to get a job no problem, while people who take it seriously and have a good education and so on either can't find a job or don't want to go through all the hassle that's required, that's pretty bad.

And yes, I am still interested if anyone can help me with a job in Thailand!

Those crusty backpacker types are willing to take teaching jobs for 15,000-20,000 and work in rural towns. Want to make 40,000 and work in Bangkok, Phuket or Pattaya then there's a line of applicants out the door.

But you get what you pay for.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good.... and welcome ..to LOS

New folks

It is good news but the quoted salary of 9000 baht per month for Thai teachers is not correct. A Thai teacher starts on 8000 baht usually at age 21 and then every year receives an annual increment as well as extra salary bonuses. My head of English in a Government school is Thai and is paid 33,000 baht where as most of the teachers earn more than 20,000 baht plus a guaranteed half salary pension on retirement. I am amazed that so many people believe the Thai teachers sob stories of a very low salary. I think they are overpaid for the actual quality of teaching that they do. Less than 10 per cent of Thais can speak English despite having up to 12 years of English lessons, an absolute disgrace by any teacher's standards.

I'd say 1% is a more accurate figure, from my experience.

Also, I taught in a government school Patum 3 to 6 for one year, and Patum 6 to Matium 3 for a second, before resigning, out of sheer physical and mental fatigue. The classrooms were NOT air-conditioned, students and teachers alike were so miserably hot, that learning was next to impossible. I actually carried an electric fan from class to class, yet my shirt would be soaked with sweat 15 minutes into the "lesson", regardless.

The total chaos in the environment was simply unbelievable. Students felt at ease getting up and leaving (or climbing out the windows(!) anytime they wanted! Other students from other classes would come in to visit with their friends and have loud conversations,k with the same disregard for any semblance of a learning or teaching environment.

The final straw was another intense day of complete chaos, where students turned off the breakers to the classrooms maybe a total of 10 times, killing the fan, but more importantly, killing my microphone (needed to overcome the constant din of totally disinterested students holding loud conversations throughout the room). I gave up, at that point, feeling like I was teaching in "The Blackboard Jungle"... pointless, stressful, and dangerous.

I will note that there was a Filipino teacher there that spoke unintelligible English, and couldn't manage to conjugate the verb "be" in a spoken sentence, who is still working there, enjoying the working environment, to the educational detriment of the Patum 3 to 5 students he teaches.

I have to "substitute" there, still, occasionally, and the last time, in Matium 3 (that's NINTH grade) had students who, when coming up to the board, could not recognize, read, or say, the word "was". blink.gif >>> or "to" or "boy" or "can" !!!

I have to say, a LOT of money being spent for shameful results.

I forgot to mention... we were paid directly, in hand, by the government office of education, then, outside, required to hand the envelope of cash to the branch manager. We ended up receiving about half of what the government had paid... ph34r.gif

When will they realise - of course they wont- that the American language, being an aggressive one, is incompatible with the Thai psyche and culture so, therefore, just sounds ugly when spoken by Thais.I was fortunate enough to have been employed by a school that would only employ British native speakers - which generally worked better.

Let me remind you all that China is not improving their English. If you want to do business with them, you must learn Chinese.

What a load of crap

English a the thing of the past

... and again.

We did business with the west, but it looks like business with the west will soon be devoured by the Chinese.

It's 'the West' that have put it where it is, don't snatch off the hand that fed you. Anyhow, about the only way the Chinese will devour anyone is if they continue to churn out mountains of inferior cheap crap and smother the world.

Why do you think so many westerners have started to send their kids over to places like Singapore, Taiwan, Malaysia, Hong Kong. etc?

Have they and in record numbers? If so, perhaps cheaper, cultural awareness, being near daddy at his posting.

Hiring just about anyone off the streets just because they are 'farang'. With that aside, why is Chinese any less important?:ermm::ermm:

Why do you think they should be regarded with any sort of importance? It's one nation. English is for everyone that wants it, connecting multiple countries for the benefit of others. The moon will have been lost from earth's gravitational pull before English is discarded in favour of some two-bit dialect irregardless of population.

A step in the right direction, but as others have said, simply throwing money at it won't help entirely. There must also be the desire to learn and, unfortunately, this essential ingredient, along with limited attention span, is missing from many kids here.

I would rather learn English from an Indian or Filipino teacher, than from a plumber who spent all his money and needs to take up teaching to continue his holiday in Thailand. <_<

Indeed.

Hi my name is Oliver.

I am English, 61 years old with a Thai wife and live in Mae Sariang in the Mae Hong Son district. Despite having no official teaching qualifications, I have the commitment and patience and would love the opportunity to teach English to the Thai children at a local school. How do I make contact with the authorities to apply for a teaching post ?

Many thanks.

Just...don't.

A lot of comment about accents and pronunciation.

English teachers are not just teaching speech. They also teach reading and writing the language. They should have a good understanding of the roots and derivations of words, as well as knowing where to put such words in a sentence. And how to spell. (the ENGLISH way!!)

This would rule out any but the really well educated Indian or Filipino. Of those that speak good English (like my partner) only a small percentage know correct grammar, spelling, derivations. My partner usually writes as if she's texting on her phone, even when I respond with correct English. We will be going back to England in a couple of years or so, so that our daughter can receive whatever education Cambridge schools have to offer. Because it will be far better than Cebu schools, even if I have to pay.

The Indians who have good English skills are from the top castes and would look upon teaching at Thai schools as being beneath them. And most will be earning far more than is being offered here, anyway. (US $ 2,500 a month, maximum).

This is only a puff piece to make the guy look good. Election coming up soon?

I'm young (24), smart, reasonably good looking, and I dress nicely (as we know these things can matter a lot in Thailand).

It's very difficult to believe a good looking American guy in his 20s with a masters degree and teaching experience was unable to find a job teaching English in Thailand.

Why get native English teachers other than from England ? I am all for teachers speaking English if they actually teach English rather than a derivative of the English language . American English is different , so is Philippine and no doubt different again from Australia . Its all about the accent as well , pronunciation of words . I wish the Thai's luck in what they are trying to do but to start with they need someone to guide the education authority in Thailand, from the English education department in England, then maybe there is a good chance the standard will improve, if of course the students are willing to learn.

Got news for you, most students in Thailand don't like your English accents. They prefer American accents because it's easier for them to understand. Ever heard a Thai speak with a British accent in Thailand? Rarely, I bet.

SO &lt;deleted&gt;' true!!! I HAVE heard ONE Thai once speak with a British accent once... and I must admit it really sounded so odd, in LOS context, anyway! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Give them a good old Aussie accent any day I say!

You might say , but whether they'll understand is another matter. It's not only once have I had a Thai tell me that the only English accent that they don't understand is the Aussie one. True story.

Really a very simple solution IMO would be to make all the kids programming English. Thais love to park their kids in front of the TV anyway; if all that stuff wasn't Thai dubbed but instead in English, the kids would just pick it up at an early age. It's not a Oxford-certified English program, but they'd pick up some basics and quite possibly learn more than they ever would in school.

REALLY really true, such a great idea, LESS work, LESS expense than dubbing over in Thai, yet nationalistic pride will probably prevent this from happening, for decades to come.

Watching DVD movies in English (with Thai subtitles to help) is one of the recommendations I make to my adult and young adult students. I actually picked up on this from talking to an adult student of mine who possessed exceptional conversational skills.

He would watch a movie three times, first time in Thai, with English subtitles, a second time in English, with Thai subtitles, and the third time in English, sans subtitles. 40 baht rental fee, providing simultaneous education and entertainment!!!

Of course, Broadcast Television's children's cartoons in English would be the perfect home "educator", in this environment, but will we see this in our lifetimes? sad.gif

:blink:.......".......hire 300 native English-speaking teachers for its primary and secondary schools.......

300 teachers for primary and secondary schools in a country with 66 million people ?

A drop in the ocean...

LaoPo

Its a start though....................lets be positive.

We educated the british born Prime Minister. Now we educate he's people. Its in our blood. History and all that stuff

yeah right and how much the school is going to take off the teacher's salary...

and the thai teachers, they will be happy to get 9x less than some farang...

do not make it stupid difficult for farang here to be able to work and I think they might find a lot of expats willing to help/work for half of that salary for a few hours per day

Let me remind you all that China is not improving their English. If you want to do business with them, you must learn Chinese.

What a load of crap

HB comment - probably 'should learn' would be better than must learn. But as I do business with the Chinese on a day-to-day basis, I can assure you that it helps enormously to be able to speak Mandarin and Cantonese.

... and again.

HB comment - Not correct. The Chinese I know who do speak English like to show it off whenever possible. But when the real nitty-gritty of business negotiations gets underway, I step back and leave it to the Chinese/Vietnamese-Chinese to sort out the details.

We did business with the west, but it looks like business with the west will soon be devoured by the Chinese.

It's 'the West' that have put it where it is, don't snatch off the hand that fed you. Anyhow, about the only way the Chinese will devour anyone is if they continue to churn out mountains of inferior cheap crap and smother the world.

HB comment - you are living in the past, or in a dream world. Virtually all heavy machinery theoughout the world now relies on China for some components. These are subject to strict quality control systems and pass such checks easily. Quality among serious Chinese manufacturers is no longer a big problem. It is the small firms, serving a Chinese market, that have the inferior products of yesteryear on their inventory.

Why do you think so many westerners have started to send their kids over to places like Singapore, Taiwan, Malaysia, Hong Kong. etc?

Have they and in record numbers? If so, perhaps cheaper, cultural awareness, being near daddy at his posting.

HB comment - What do you think of TCIS (Thai-Chinese International School) where the curriculum is taught in Thai, Mandarin and English? This is a school in Bangkok, most kids are Thai, but with a smattering of European kids as well. And most of the kids seem well-motivated.

Hiring just about anyone off the streets just because they are 'farang'. With that aside, why is Chinese any less important?:ermm::ermm:

Why do you think they should be regarded with any sort of importance? It's one nation. English is for everyone that wants it, connecting multiple countries for the benefit of others. The moon will have been lost from earth's gravitational pull before English is discarded in favour of some two-bit dialect irregardless of population.

HB Comment - sorry, I cannot conceive of any sensible response to that idiocy.

I know I'm not supposed to interfere with another person's post, but I could think of no other way of getting my point across without thorough confusion.

Don't stick your head in the sand - the Chinese are progressing by the day. They have passed Japan in economic size, they will take the lead from the USA before 2025. (My forecast). I am not pro-Chinese, although I do do business with them. I have to - they supply a lot of the equipment used in power plants throughout the world. (Even nuclear plants :o:whistling::shock1: ) and we shall have to recognise this whether we like it or not.

The Chinese are here to stay. Next you should worry about the Indians, because quality is a concept too far in their case.

Unless Thailand is willing to adopt some practices followed in Western education, the teachers will not be able to influence the areas which are in desperate need of development. There are a large number of reoccurring problems in Western/Thai classrooms, and unless they are addressed from the top-down, no real improvements are possible.

The fear of failure is a real motivator, but the system for failing students is just a sham here. Students are obviously pushed on through the grades regardless of the academic achievements. Most of the good, certified western teachers I meet over here complain endlessly about this issue.

A much larger difference which continually create problems in "farang-led" classrooms is that westerner students are taught and encouraged to be individualistic and act as free-thinkers. Thais typically do not value those sorts of skills, and in fact they are discouraged subtly and overtly. Raising one's hand in class is often seen a sign that that student doesn't understand - something which is terribly embarrassing in the group-think environment.

Of course, the west doesn't have a corner on education and they're not doing everything correctly, but there has been a LOT of good work done in the last 30 or 40 years which has not been adopted here in the Land of Smiles.

Hear him, hear him! Well said Sir!

Western teachers will have a"pink fit" when they first enter a Thai teachers room! "What's for lunch" is the only thing on a Thai teachers mind! They all think that the students are stupid because they don't understand the lessons and the Thai teachers couldn't be bothered explaining anything to them!

It's bound to fail!

What a load of crap

HB comment - probably 'should learn' would be better than must learn. But as I do business with the Chinese on a day-to-day basis, I can assure you that it helps enormously to be able to speak Mandarin and Cantonese.

... and again.

HB comment - Not correct. The Chinese I know who do speak English like to show it off whenever possible. But when the real nitty-gritty of business negotiations gets underway, I step back and leave it to the Chinese/Vietnamese-Chinese to sort out the details.

HB comment - you are living in the past, or in a dream world. Virtually all heavy machinery theoughout the world now relies on China for some components. These are subject to strict quality control systems and pass such checks easily. Quality among serious Chinese manufacturers is no longer a big problem. It is the small firms, serving a Chinese market, that have the inferior products of yesteryear on their inventory.

HB comment - What do you think of TCIS (Thai-Chinese International School) where the curriculum is taught in Thai, Mandarin and English? This is a school in Bangkok, most kids are Thai, but with a smattering of European kids as well. And most of the kids seem well-motivated.

HB Comment - sorry, I cannot conceive of any sensible response to that idiocy.

I know I'm not supposed to interfere with another person's post, but I could think of no other way of getting my point across without thorough confusion.

Don't stick your head in the sand - the Chinese are progressing by the day. They have passed Japan in economic size, they will take the lead from the USA before 2025. (My forecast). I am not pro-Chinese, although I do do business with them. I have to - they supply a lot of the equipment used in power plants throughout the world. (Even nuclear plants :o:whistling::shock1: ) and we shall have to recognise this whether we like it or not.

The Chinese are here to stay. Next you should worry about the Indians, because quality is a concept too far in their case.

I was in a far flung province in China south of Wenzhou. Met 3 Americans teaching in the school there. so they are getting the education. and this was not quite hill billy country but not far off. The Chinese are pretty dam_n smart, Oh and they own a large chunk of USA Assetts

but when you want to teach for for free in your local school you have to do everything .and it is not even sure that you get an aproval from the teachers council......

i am busy with my papers and teached in the netherlands for 5 years . but even now i have to wait for there green light. (and they told me already i have to study here for 1 year, witch i am not intended to do )

i live here now for 4 years already, speak a hand full off thai, learned the culture, but clearly it is not enough.

this is what i do not understand when they are short of teachers .

Edited by monkie13

Why does it even matter where an English teacher comes from? It should be their ability to speak and teach English that really matters. I never had a native English speaking teacher in my life, and it did not bother me the slightest. Not that my English is perfect, I just don't think a native English teacher would made it any better. I guess it even was an asset as in the beginning when I did not understand much English at all, we could get explanations in our native language. And regarding pronunciation. A Thai will always speak English with a Thai accent, just as a French will do with his French twist. How the teacher speaks will only make smaller differences in pronunciation.

And as a non-native, I can subscribe to the view that American English is both easier to understand and speak than British accent even though I really think British sounds nicer. Guess it is because Americans skips fewer letters compared to how it is written.

WB

but when you want to teach for for free in your local school you have to do everything .and it is not even sure that you get an aproval from the teachers council......

i am busy with my papers and teached in the netherlands for 5 years . but even now i have to wait for there green light. (and they told me already i have to study here for 1 year, witch i am not intended to do )

i live here now for 4 years already, speak a hand full off thai, learned the culture, but clearly it is not enough.

this is what i do not understand when they are short of teachers .

If you want to Teach English as a Foreign Language, you have to teach writing, spelling, as well as speaking.

On such principles you would fail, as your spelling above is wholly unacceptable. I would suggest a year of study of written English would benefit you and your future students.

After that, good luck for the future.

Am I mistaken or is'nt the proposed salary at least 200% + greater than what English teachers here generally mak?

That amount will be what the school governor will be paid to recruit that teacher.....what amount that Governor actually pays the teacher may be a completely different amount... its called graft... welcome to LOS..

I got the impression that the new teachers being hired will be certified teachers in their home country, not TEFL teachers. And those teachers generally make more than 83k in Thailand. So if that is the case, it's really not a salary increase. It's bringing in a different type of teacher.

So they will ne bringing in qualified teachers who are used to teaching native speaker students and expect them to be able to teach second language students. Kids with maybe little of no English. I can't see this helping the problem. Some of the worst language teachers I've seen here have been fully qualified teachers in their home country.

not trying to be offensive but can you imagine when a Thai learns English from an Indian who learned from another Indian or a Filipino.

The effect is like a snowball. :whistling:

Theres also the idea of speaking a language versus understanding a language. If you've ever outsourced to

India you'll know what I mean.

I'm afraid that's too true to deny. The west coast of the USA has the most plain-spoken English, I'm told (by a Spanish prof :unsure: )

West coast of USA.....the most plain-spoken English??? What? Like totaly awesome! Super true! Whatever! Lol

Why get native English teachers other than from England ? I am all for teachers speaking English if they actually teach English rather than a derivative of the English language . American English is different , so is Philippine and no doubt different again from Australia . Its all about the accent as well , pronunciation of words . I wish the Thai's luck in what they are trying to do but to start with they need someone to guide the education authority in Thailand, from the English education department in England, then maybe there is a good chance the standard will improve, if of course the students are willing to learn.

Does it really exist?

You written English language sucks, and I don't think people from England should be hired, if you are a test sample of what they have to offer.

You said, "Why get native English teachers other than from England ?"

Why the space before the question mark? The sentence on its own has no meaning, but I used my super intelligence to think that you meant to say "why would the Thai education officials want to hire English language teachers from any other place but England?"

Edited by MegaRanter

When I said 'the computer,' I should have been more specific (the Personal Computer). Sorry, I thought it would go without saying. And the PC is most definately an American invention (or maybe Apple might want some of the credit)...

Nope!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micral

"According to the Computer History Museum, the Micral N was the earliest commercial, non-kit personal computer based on a microprocessor, the Intel 8008. André Truong Trong Thi (EFREI degree, Paris), a French immigrant from Vietnam and François Gernelle developed the Micral N computer for the Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique (INRA), starting in June 1972."

Jeeeezzzzz Phoenix ,,, your haveing a bad run here ,,,, but keep trying ,,, thats what made America great ,, l'm with you mate ,,, ;)

The only reason he is having a bad run is that he is wrong on virtually every point he made. :whistling:

:blink:.......".......hire 300 native English-speaking teachers for its primary and secondary schools.......

300 teachers for primary and secondary schools in a country with 66 million people ?

A drop in the ocean...

LaoPo

Its a start though....................lets be positive.

We educated the british born Prime Minister. Now we educate he's people. Its in our blood. History and all that stuff

I can clearly see the problem now. Messing up the natives' English language skills by English plumbers.

Is an official language the same as a native language?

The reason I ask is because I thought that English was only an official language of The Philippines as opposed to a native language...

The language of your country is your native language.

filipinos english !!!!!!! pipty pibe= means= fifty five :P

Can you mock some for Thai English?

even worse.... ....

Does anyone know why so often a Thai (or other Asian speakers) reverse the r and l sounds in words? I don't know when I try to speak Thai if I should say it the way it is written or the way the locals say it.