Has Anyone Tried Expatshield.Com

dean999

I was told about expatshield.com. You can use the download on the site to make BBC iplayer and other things work.

From what i can gather is, it makes your computer seem like its invisible.

As you can probably tell I'm not a computer wiz.

My question is, is this not illegal?

AFAIK the use of VPN software (this is what expatshield is) in Thailand is only illegal if it done to access sites that would normally be prohibited by the Thai government. I doubt that the BBC iPlayer site is in that group and so I would expect the use of any VPN software to be legal for that purpose.

This looks like a free VPN service, which is not illegal in itself.

I suggest you read here.

Is this just Thailand, due to the fact they block certain sites?

I am working in Belgium at present and am only using it to get BBC iplayer, so i can watch UK tv. If I do anything else I turn it off.

I just downloaded and installed it, rebooted my PC (it didn't ask me to but you never know with Windows).

Started ExpatShield. It opened a browser window and .... "Oops! Google Chrome could not connect to 127.0.0.1:895".

Maybe it's not quite ready for primetime <_<

Ok, after a bit of Googling I found that that the problem was that my Avast-AV was blocking parts of the install. Disabled Avast and reinstalled and now it works.

Speedtest.net now thinks I'm in London :lol: Tested speed to another London point, fast it ain't but surely usable... And you can't beat the price (free).

1227295629.png

Works fine. Just watched a TV program through it. A little jerky right at the start, but after that it was fine all the way through. Yay!

Dont watch live: just download the WMV file. You can start the download via the VPN, stop it, disconnect the VPN, restart the download and it will continue at full speed. When watching, just remember to reconnect the VPN before starting WMP. After the rights have been loaded and the programme starts to play you can disconnect the VPN again.

Dont watch live: just download the WMV file. You can start the download via the VPN, stop it, disconnect the VPN, restart the download and it will continue at full speed. When watching, just remember to reconnect the VPN before starting WMP. After the rights have been loaded and the programme starts to play you can disconnect the VPN again.

Oh, I wouldn't use it to watch anything illegal. That would be against the rules. We don't want to break any rules! ;)

Works fine. Just watched a TV program through it. A little jerky right at the start, but after that it was fine all the way through. Yay!

I'm no techie so bear with me !!

I've downloaded the software (I think) and have the icon on the laptop.

Now assuming I have the speed how do I connect via the download ? (I did say I'm no techie !)

Do I right click and run it as Administrator ??

Edited by Chivas

Normally just start it by clicking on the program icon. That will put a small shield in your taskbar. If the shield is red the ExpatShield is disabled. Click on the shield to change it to green, that means the ExpatShield is enabled. Now you just go ahead and use your browser/internet as usual, any traffic is now automatically directed through UK. When you are don't using it, disable it by clicking on the shield again so it switches back to red.

Normally just start it by clicking on the program icon. That will put a small shield in your taskbar. If the shield is red the ExpatShield is disabled. Click on the shield to change it to green, that means the ExpatShield is enabled. Now you just go ahead and use your browser/internet as usual, any traffic is now automatically directed through UK. When you are don't using it, disable it by clicking on the shield again so it switches back to red.

Yes got the Red shield on the taskbar no problem but cant get it to go green.

Right click gives me the option to turn on but when clicking brings up box saying Firefox cant connect ??

Sorry to be a pain !! Have tried turning off and rebooting ?

Edited by Chivas

When i click to turn it on, it opens a web page and a connection box is on the web page. easy to see.

I am no wiz either but it sounds to me that something is blocking it.

whilst on the internet, I have the choice to turn it on and off as well. It's on my task bar. I think thats what its called. Where you click for favorites, refresh botton ECT.

hope this helps

Right click gives me the option to turn on but when clicking brings up box saying Firefox cant connect ??

Click once on the red shield, a small menu should pop up. Click on the "Connect/ON" option. If that doesn't cause it to change to green it wasn't installed correctly. Try reinstalling it. Remember to disable any anti-virus software during the installation as it can block essential drivers.

Rebooting didn't seem necessary.

Click once on the red shield, a small menu should pop up. Click on the "Connect/ON" option. If that doesn't cause it to change to green it wasn't installed correctly. Try reinstalling it. Remember to disable any anti-virus software during the installation as it can block essential drivers.

Rebooting didn't seem necessary.

Got it-Thanks a lot.Had to uninstall first and then try again.

Clearly works.

Surely this does away with the need for a payable VPN to watch BBC iplayer etc ??

Oh, I wouldn't use it to watch anything illegal. That would be against the rules. We don't want to break any rules! ;)

I was suggesting nothing illegal at all. Just the best way to get the fastest download and most satisfactory viewing experience.

Of particular interest if the VPN in question has some sort of monthly data cap like mine does.

I only want to find out how to stop expatshield from taking over half my browser.

You get what you pay for.

Personally I would never recommend expatshield. Other than the ads there are a few other 'nasties'.

Why don't you try to use Google to find the answers? Google can be your friend.

I only want to find out how to stop expatshield from taking over half my browser.

Personally I would never recommend expatshield. Other than the ads there are a few other 'nasties'.

Just like TV they provide a free service and need to pay their bills somehow.

When you download/install expatshield you have the choice for a lot of additional advertisement, including a toolbar etc. These choices are checked by default. Yes, they sugarcoat it to make it look like they are doing you a favor with those additional "freebies" but I think we all know that it's just another form of advertisement. If you untick those options there are still a few ads, but they're not really intrusive if you consider what you get for free.

What are the "nasties" you refer to?

Just like TV they provide a free service and need to pay their bills somehow.

When you download/install expatshield you have the choice for a lot of additional advertisement, including a toolbar etc. These choices are checked by default. Yes, they sugarcoat it to make it look like they are doing you a favor with those additional "freebies" but I think we all know that it's just another form of advertisement. If you untick those options there are still a few ads, but they're not really intrusive if you consider what you get for free.

What are the "nasties" you refer to?

Read this:

http://download.cnet.com/Expat-Shield/3640-2092_4-75211377.html?tag=contentBody;userReviews

Yeah, some like it, some don't. The complaints are mostly about the ads, I addressed this already so I'm not going to go into that again. Then there are 2-3 users who can't make it work. I had a problem installing it due to Avast AV blocking the installation of necessary device drivers, by disabling Avast AV I was able to install it and it works fine for me now.

But I'm not a representative of ExpatShield. It's not loss to me if you don't want to use it. I just don't see any problems with it. ;)

Thanks guys. PC, you seem to be right, the ads dont appear when its off. I thought there might be a way to reduce or minimize them by deleting a cookie or something. Some ads are fine, they just went a little on the large size for me.