Retirement Visa

I am over 60 years of age and I am planning to apply

for a Retirement Visa.

Assuming I put in the 800,000 Baht in the bank on

June 1st. And I go in on 5th of June with a "O" Visa.

Can I apply for the retirement visa one week from there.

If that is not possible, I have to leave Thailand on

15th June on some urgent matters. And every 2 or 3 weeks

I have to leave home to Malaysia.

Is my "O" Visa for 90 days still valid ?

Or I have to apply again for a new "O" Visa again.

I can go back to my home, Malaysia many times, because

it is just south of the Thai border.

And later assuming I do get the retirement visa with

a Multiple Re-entry Permit, I will be going back home

maybe ten times a year. Am I allowed to do that ?

Is the Re-Entry Permit still valid.

Your kind advice will be much appreciated.

Thanking you all in advance.

Money must be in the account for 60 days before you can apply so no you can not do as above. What you can do is obtain a multi re-entry permit for your 90 day stay so you get the same permitted to stay date on each return and after money is in account 60 days get the extension of stay for retirement and a new multi re-entry permit for that new permitted to stay date.

Additional info needed.

In addition to all that, it is true or necessary that

I have to provide the following documents:

1. A letter stating that the applicant has no criminal record.

2. A medical certificate.

Where do I get all all these?

In Thailand or my home country?

Medical certificate - from a clinic or a private hospital?

What is your advice?

Thank you very much in advance.

Additional info needed.

In addition to all that, it is true or necessary that

I have to provide the following documents:

1. A letter stating that the applicant has no criminal record.

2. A medical certificate.

Where do I get all all these?

In Thailand or my home country?

Medical certificate - from a clinic or a private hospital?

What is your advice?

Thank you very much in advance.

If you enter Thailand on a Non-Immigrant "O" Visa, and apply for an "Extension of Stay", you won't need those.

Those documents, are requirements for applying for an"O-A" Visa, usually applied for while in your own country.

Edited by beechguy

The medical certificate and police check are only required if you apply for a O-A visa, not for a non-immigrant O visa. But note that some embassies require you to apply for an O-A-visa and will not issue a non-O when applying based on retirement. I'm not sure what the policy of the embassy in Malaysia is.

For an extension of stay no police check or medical are required.

Thank you Beechguy and Mario. Much appreciated.

Assuming I am applying in my own country and I

do need the medical certificate.

I will be in Bangkok next month on a 30 days stamp.

Which do I go ? Hospital, private clinic, medical center,

or any small clinic. How much does it cost. And what should

be written on the report. I just need the certificate and

not to spend money on unnecessary tests.

Your kind advice is much appreciated.

Thanking you all in advance.

My most recent understanding is that when applying for an O-A visa in your home country, you need to go to a doctor in your home country to get the form signed. In many cases, they will actually make you get expensive tests to ethically get the form signed. I understand the desire to avoid the expense, so if I were you I would contact the embassy/consulate you will be using for your O-A and ask them explicitly if they will accept the form signed in Thailand by a Thai doctor, or not. The actual form is obtained from the embassy or consulate you will be applying to for the O-A. In order for a western doctor to sign it, they often feel the need ($$$) to actually perform the tests to sign it (there may even be a legal obligation they are bound to).

Edited by Jingthing

If you just apply for the O visa or even change from a tourist/visa exempt inside Thailand there should not be any need for the extra forms. If you do apply for the O-A suspect Embassy will have example medical certificate for use.

Yes and avoidance of the extra hassle/expense of the medical/police forms is a big reason many or even most people don't ever bother with an O-A visa. It's an option that has pros and cons, that's all, not a necessity to legally retire in Thailand on annual retirement extensions.

Also note, (and this a pro O-A for many), if using the banked money method, typically the banked money shown is NOT in Thailand for home country O-A applications, rather it is in the home country, and that is totally normal, even expected.

One thing I am not fully clear about. If using banked money to get an O-A using home country banked money to qualify does that home country money need to be seasoned two months in the account shown as for a first-time retirement extension in Thailand? My guess is no, but not sure ...

Edited by Jingthing

The medical form and Police clearance letter is usually required from home country Thai Embassies and Consulates.

Not too exensive usually to get from your own doctor or just about any clinic.

I was once required by the local thai immigration officer to get a medical form. No biggie, just went to the local hospital sponsored clinic and got the lettr from them for way under 100 baht.

Home country Embassies usually do not require your home country bank account to be seasoned, but a certified or notarised letter from the bank, or your income sources to meet their criteria.

If you are already in thailand, money needs to meet the seasoning requirements for the bank or a certificate of income from your embassy in thailand when applying to convert to non immigration visa. They may also request at their discretion a medical form and a police clearance. Not sure where to get tthe police clearance, but some have said with the Royal Thai Police, but don't know what office would be acceptable.

The medical form for the O-A done in your home country can potentially be very expensive. The cost depends on many factors including what province/state/country you are coming from, whether you have any current relationship with a doctor (many people don't), and how "ethical" they are where you go (in other words, whether they feel compelled to actually perform every test implied on the form to scientifically prove you don't have the conditions mentioned).

Edited by Jingthing

I definitely agree with inquiring with your home country embassy/consulate, and with your local doctor/clinic. I had a friend in Chicago, whose doctor just "rubber stamped" the form with no exam and no fee. I read a report (here, on ThaiVisa, I think?) from someone whose doctor felt legally (morally?) bound to administer the necessary tests to verify the absence of the maladies listed on the medical form, to the tune of hundreds of dollars.

ISTR some complexity in the logistics of getting the medical form notarized, as well. (Either the Chicago consulate and/or the D.C. embassy required the medical form and police report to be notarized.) It can be tricky to have a notary witness the doctor's signature unless the notary works in the office/clinic.

That may be a misuse of the term as Thailand often wants the person concerned to sign forms submitted and can use the term notarize (there is no such service in Thailand) for just a simple signature. If a notary stamp was required it would likely be to have that signature notarized (not the doctors).

In the case of applying for the O-A Retirement Visa, the medical form (provided by the Thai Embassy or Consulate, or downloaded) you'll need to give to your doctor can be viewed here: http://www.thaicongenvancouver.org/cms/docs/consular_forms/Medicalcert.pdf

This is from the Thai Conlsulate in Vancouver but I'd guess it's universal.

As you can see from the form, the diseases listed which might disqualify you from receiving a visa is rather short and rather esoteric if you're applying from a western country.

Your family doctor I'm sure would know whether you have any of them, and assuming you don't will probably sign off on it easily and quickly without the need for tests. My Doc ~ bless his heart ~ did it in 3 minutes for free, which may well NOT be universal.

For your interest, the requirements for the O-A visa can be viewed here: http://www.thaicongenvancouver.org/cms/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=121#OA

As you can see on the list, there are only 2 forms which will need your signature notorized: the 'Personal Data' Form, and the three copies of the Application Form.

The Medical Form needs only to be stamped by your doctor (make sure you ask him to do this). The Criminal Record form will be stamped by your local cops as a matter of course.

Edited by nongkhai

ISTR some complexity in the logistics of getting the medical form notarized, as well. (Either the Chicago consulate and/or the D.C. embassy required the medical form and police report to be notarized.) It can be tricky to have a notary witness the doctor's signature unless the notary works in the office/clinic.

That may be a misuse of the term as Thailand often wants the person concerned to sign forms submitted and can use the term notarize (there is no such service in Thailand) for just a simple signature. If a notary stamp was required it would likely be to have that signature notarized (not the doctors).

For your interest, the requirements for the O-A visa can be viewed here: http://www.thaicongenvancouver.org/cms/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=121#OA

As you can see on the list, there are only 2 forms which will need your signature notorized: the 'Personal Data' Form, and the three copies of the Application Form.

The Medical Form needs only to be stamped by your doctor (make sure you ask him to do this). The Criminal Record form will be stamped by your local cops as a matter of course.

Methinks the Consulate in Chicago has other ideas: http://www.thaiconsulatechicago.org/clate/non-imm.html

"VII. Retirement in Thailand (see also Retirement Visas), the applicant must be at least 50 years old and must submit documents as follows:

• documentation showing proof of retirement
  • bank statement or monthly/year income.
  • a copy of the applicant’s criminal record from the local police department
  • a certificate of health.

These documents must be certified by a Notary Public and certify true signature of the notary public by the Secretary of State."

" ... Methinks the Consulate in Chicago has other ideas: http://www.thaiconsulatechicago.org/clate/non-imm.html ... "

Thanks Methinks, for pointing out that the set of rules seem to differ somewhat between consulates and perhaps countries.

Canadians more trustworthy than Americans? Who knows ... but only underlines the well-documented oddity that within Thailand the Immigration offices often have different, er, needs. Westerners would assume that that should not be the case within Thailand's 'national' government bureaucracies, but that assumption holds no water here.