Ticket Out For Single-Entry Tourist?

I arrived in Thailand on a 30-day exempt stamp and a one-way ticket (should have gotten a tourist visa, before I left...)

Now I am planning on going to Poipet to get a single-entry tourist visa, but don't currently have airfare leaving Thailand. Should I buy airfare prior to making the run?

Not sure if this matters, but I can show proof of funds for the 60 day (or 90 if extended) stay. Oh, and I'm an American citizen, under 50.

Thanks!

You can't get a visa in Poipet.

You must use an agent that takes your passport to Phnom Penh.

No, you don't have to show a ticket.

Two working days processing in PP:.

Go to Vientiane in Laos instead, process over night. (apply before lunch get back next day after lunch)

Apply for double entry while you are on it.

Go to Vientiane in Laos instead, process over night. (apply before lunch get back next day after lunch)

Thanks PoorSucker!

In Vientiane, would you recommend going directly to the Thai Consulate or through an agent? What about in PP?

I would definitely like the double entry, but my passport is valid just a few days shy of 8 months, so I'm a bit worried I would be rejected.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks PoorSucker!

In Vientiane, would you recommend going directly to the Thai Consulate or through an agent? What about in PP?

I would definitely like the double entry, but my passport is valid just a few days shy of 8 months, so I'm a bit worried I would be rejected.

Thanks for the info!

In Vientiane, I wouldn't bother with an agent, can't say about PP. Depends on how long you are trying to stay in Thailand, you can ask for a double, but I would also consider applying for a single entry and apply for a new passport.

Edited by beechguy

In Vientiane, I wouldn't bother with an agent, can't say about PP. Depends on how long you are trying to stay in Thailand, but I would consider applying for a single entry and apply for a new passport.

That's what I was thinking, beechguy. It's not an issue to transfer over a single-entry visa (or permission stamp, whatever the correct term is) to a new passport at the US embassy in Bangkok, is it?

If you go to Phnom Penh, there are agents that can get you a double entry tourist visa with same day processing. I just did this. Agents are everywhere, your hotel will be able to point you in the right direction (or possibly even take care of it for you). Couldn't be easier. If you apply yourself at the embassy in Phnom Penh you have to wait 4 working days, so it seems to me that the embassy is currently encouraging the use of agents.

Ah, makes sense. What were the agent prices like in PP?

Great info, Andy!

In Vientiane, I wouldn't bother with an agent, can't say about PP. Depends on how long you are trying to stay in Thailand, but I would consider applying for a single entry and apply for a new passport.

That's what I was thinking, beechguy. It's not an issue to transfer over a single-entry visa (or permission stamp, whatever the correct term is) to a new passport at the US embassy in Bangkok, is it?

You would apply for a new passport, should only take 2 or 3 weeks, when it arrives take it to the local Thai Immigration Office and have the appropriate stamps transferred there. They do not transfer the visa itself, but the permissions to stay, etc, anyway it's common procedure.

Edited by beechguy

Something that I think that has not been made clear is the refusal of issuing a double TV.

Think all Embassies and consulates will still issue a single entry tourist visa even if they do not issue double entries.

Don't think they limit the amount of single entries.

That still will give 60 + 30 days on a single.

Why would anyone even consider getting a new passport unless similar to the OP has only 8-10 months left until it expires.

Sure, it is nice to get 180 days vs 90.

Remember if you do not take care of it yourself, you will not know if what you get is real or a copy.

If immigration finds it is a copy, Big Problems for you.

Edited by TacoBoy

Something that I think that has not been made clear is the refusal of issuing a double TV.

Think all Embassies and consulates will still issue a single entry tourist visa even if they do not issue double entries.

Don't think they limit the amount of single entries.

That still will give 60 + 30 days on a single.

Why would anyone even consider getting a new passport unless similar to the OP has only 8-10 months left until it expires.

Sure, it is nice to get 180 days vs 90.

Remember if you do not take care of it yourself, you will not know if what you get is real or a copy.

If immigration finds it is a copy, Big Problems for you.

I'm a bit confused. Is it common for Embassies to refuse a double entry tourist visa?

Are you saying that multiple single entries doesn't "look as bad" as multiple double entries?

And I'd agree that physically going to the Embassy/Consulate does ease the mind a bit as an agent could pull a scam and get a fake.

All posts I have seen are referring to refusal by some Embassies to give Double entry TV's if people already have 2 or 3 in their passport.

Don't think I have heard of anyone refused a single entry TV.

It is logical that it looks as bad multiple double TV's or multiple single TV's.

But these are Thai's and they have Thai Logic.

If it is Logical, then it doesn't apply in Thailand. TIT

About 8 years ago, a lot of expats had legal problems after using services.

Jail, fines, legal fees, deported.

IMO not worth the risk.

Edited by TacoBoy

Current services seem OK. The services you are talking about were the ones where you stayed in Thailand while they send the passport abroad. Or even put a fake stamp in your passport

Using a seervice to hop over the border and/or assist you with getting a visa abroad is not illegal.

Current services seem OK. The services you are talking about were the ones where you stayed in Thailand while they send the passport abroad. Or even put a fake stamp in your passport

Using a seervice to hop over the border and/or assist you with getting a visa abroad is not illegal.

The same scam of fake or altered visa's or stamps can happen in foreign countries the same as the old scam inside thailand.

Not saying it does happen for sure, but if you use a service to go to the Embassy for you to obtain it for you, then you can not be sure what you get is truly legitamite.

While apparently not illegal to use a service, if you end up with something improper in your passport, you could face the same consequences as what happened before.

The services offered in the past seemed ok also, but the services did not suffer the wrath of thai immigration, police and going to jail.

Fine for these services to facilitate help preparing requred paperwork, transportaion, lodging, food, etc. but not the embassy documents themself. This is where as an individual, you could have problems if you get something improper.

It is your responsability, and you will personally be held accountable.

I can personally vouch for the fact that you will go to jail and have stiff penalties and legal fees if your stuff is a copy.

Had to bail one of my best friends out of jail for a fake entry stamp. Bail was over 300,000 and took nearly 9 months going to court to clear the issue. The friend's passport was held by the police and courts until the case was finished.

Friend could not leave thailand during this time.

Friend thought he was doing everything legal.

He went to jail, not the service or their employees.

The service did little and was not able to help.

Fortunately we did have thai friends in hi places that were able to help a little to string the case out and the prosecution ended up not being prepared to continue and the case finally dismissed.

Police did not take any action against the service other than to "talk to them".

Edited by TacoBoy