Last Week's Freezing Temperatures A 'Freak Event'

Lite Beer

In the words of the famous Chinese philosopher, "Show me the pandas! Show me the pandas!"

the chinese proverb goes: "show me the pandas, and I will show you the climate"

hence the expert statement

You call that cold. Hell, it wasn't even cold, just right for any westerner. I walked around in my shorts and t-shirt for those days, Thai just looked at me oddly, I didn't care.

How long you lived here ?

i was freezing and was wearing a jacket and long sleeved shirts,only the tourists were in shorts.

6 + years.

Though when I went back to my hometown in California last August, I was sitting directly infront of a gas heater. If you lived here for quite sometime, your body adjusts to the climit around you in a few months usually.

And what is this about Pandas fleeing to warmer areas?????? It is more likely they went north to seek cooler areas which they are more suited for given their heavy coats. I don't see too many pictures of Pandas living in tropical forests but do see many where they are in snow.

Panda+Tai+Shan+Plays+Snow+Last+Day+Zoo+Before+hxD9cB1Z_wdl.jpg

You call that cold. Hell, it wasn't even cold, just right for any westerner. I walked around in my shorts and t-shirt for those days, Thai just looked at me oddly, I didn't care.

How long you lived here ?

i was freezing and was wearing a jacket and long sleeved shirts,only the tourists were in shorts.

6 + years.

Though when I went back to my hometown in California last August, I was sitting directly infront of a gas heater. If you lived here for quite sometime, your body adjusts to the climit around you in a few months usually.

During the coldest nights I was staying at a Lisu village about 1500m altitude in a traditional bamboo constructed house. Sleeping with 4 blankets 2 shirts and trousers on, But the worst was riding back 320km to Chiang Mai via Mae Salong and Doi Wawi on a motorbike that was COLD!

The term "freezing" is all subjective...I am from the U.S. and grew up in the Buckeye State of Ohio where 16 C (61 F) is shorts and T shirt weather :whistling:

so many of my Thai friends have never seen snow and actually want to be in that stuff??? I think they would freeze to death before it got a chance to

snow if they think 16 C is freezing! :o

And what is this about Pandas fleeing to warmer areas?????? It is more likely they went north to seek cooler areas which they are more suited for given their heavy coats. I don't see too many pictures of Pandas living in tropical forests but do see many where they are in snow.

Panda+Tai+Shan+Plays+Snow+Last+Day+Zoo+Before+hxD9cB1Z_wdl.jpg

Off topic but I don't imagine that Pandas would find much bamboo growing in China during the last ice age.

20kybpAsiaGL.gif

Glaciers of about 20,000 years ago are shown in dark blue, blue, and light blue in this map from The Times Atlas of World History

(Times Books (4th ed) 1993). Red shows the extended land area due to low sea levels about 20,000 years ago, and green and yellow show areas favorable for human habitation in wet and dry periods, respectively.

freezing cold is a figure of speech, like boiling hot for temperatures above 30 C.

a sudden fall of temperature by 10-20 C was a shock for unprepared, including tourists.

the prove is in full hospitals, which can't cope with patients with complications rising from an ordinary cold and hypothermia, like nose, throat and chest infections. There is a possibility of a widespread flu, because of weakened immune system.

a situation similar to heat waves in europe, which kill elderly by hundreds.

most households don't have any form of heating and many live in no more than shacks, sleeping on the floor mats or materaces

20kybpAsiaGL.gif

I can see a black witch on a broomstick in the middle of the picture flying westwards, with a panda next to it, somewhere in Laos, with a dancing monkey in china and lion and tiger in siberia. A different era, the world has changed a lot

Its actually the second cold spell we have had recently. There must be a reason. Freak occurrance and stories of pandas doesn't convince this educated farang who is used to logical reasoning!

More likely the Chinese have screwed up the climate because of lack of consideration when building all those dams and general disregard for the environment while expanding their economy.

The first cold spell began before the Japanese earthquake, so that puts paid to the tilting of the earth's axis theory!

20kybpAsiaGL.gif

I can see a black witch on a broomstick in the middle of the picture flying westwards, with a panda next to it, somewhere in Laos, with a dancing monkey in china and lion and tiger in siberia. A different era, the world has changed a lot

LOL, thanks for that. I was having trouble figuring out where each country was. But interesting info.

20kybpAsiaGL.gif

LMAO

'el jefe' timestamp='1301813900' post='4331753']

'dumball' timestamp='1301807077' post='4331490']

The disaster in Japan tilted the earth on its axis , at that time the correlation of the earth to both the moon and the sun, made changes in both proximity and positioning , as the moon is effective in tide and weather patterns so it is not out of line to consider the weather in Thailand was brought on by these changes .

Southern Ontario in Canada is almost diametrically apposed to Thailand , the temperature which had been on a climb , nose dived bringing back much colder temperatures , I did take the time to investigate this on google where there are scientists etc with far more expertise in this matter than most persons on Tv and most certainly more educated in the matter than the Thai academics . I was not stabbing in the dark because I am not , nor never will be a weather expert .

The last time I checked both all of Ontario and Thailand were north of the equator so I have no idea what they are "apposed" to. Or what Canada's weaher has to do with Thailand's, other than that you're Canadian and have nothing else to compare it to.

So , some-one finally picked up on my little parody , I had mentioned " according to " " I am no expert " etc , but it sure had the ' Perfection Crew " blustering along in the manner that has become so prevalent here on Tv . Do not just post an opinion or quote an authority on a subject , jump in with both feet and tear the incompetent apart , display your wealth of (supposed ) knowledge for all and sundry to admire you in your moment of glory .