Retirement Visa - 800K Requirement

I've been living here for the past 4.5 on Non-O Visa. This year I will turn 50 and will apply for (or convert to) a Non-OA (Retirement) Extension. I will use the 800k baht in a Thai Account requirement.

Someone told last night that in addtion to the 800k baht requirement will have to be in the account for 3 months (or maybe 2 for the 1st timer?), I will also need to proof that the monies came from an overseas account. Is this true??

Edited by whatchamacallit

You do not convert or anything. You just change the reason for staying in Thailand to retirement. (On an extension based on retirement you will not be able to get a work permit).

Yes, you need to show that the money is in the bank for at least 3 months (in case of a firstextension only 2 months). You need to show your bankbook and a letter from the bank confirming the money in the bank. This letter must not be older than a few days.

No need to show that the money came from abroad.

If you don't meet the seasoning requirement, you can also use a combination of yearly income (can be from abroad) and money in the bank totaling 800,000. Income from abroad is certified with a letter from your embassy. No seasoning of money is required when using the combined option.

You do not convert or anything. You just change the reason for staying in Thailand to retirement. (On an extension based on retirement you will not be able to get a work permit).

Yes, you need to show that the money is in the bank for at least 3 months (in case of a firstextension only 2 months). You need to show your bankbook and a letter from the bank confirming the money in the bank. This letter must not be older than a few days.

No need to show that the money came from abroad.

If you don't meet the seasoning requirement, you can also use a combination of yearly income (can be from abroad) and money in the bank totaling 800,000. Income from abroad is certified with a letter from your embassy. No seasoning of money is required when using the combined option.

Mario, just a quick confirmation....my father is about to apply for this Visa and it will be my money used to qualify for the extension. If it is a combination of pension and money in the bank, the money could be put in his account the day before applying, yes???

Also, could his tourist visa be changed to a non O-A at Chiang Mai immigration? Would you happen to know the answer to this question? He just broke his shoulder and it would be better if he didn't have to go to Laos to apply for a Non imm Visa.

Yes, it can be put in the account a day before when using the combined method.

Yes, your father can convert from a tourist visa to a non-immigrant visa.

When unable to travel one can get an extension of stay based on his medical condition.

Mario, just a quick confirmation....my father is about to apply for this Visa and it will be my money used to qualify for the extension. If it is a combination of pension and money in the bank, the money could be put in his account the day before applying, yes???

Also, could his tourist visa be changed to a non O-A at Chiang Mai immigration? Would you happen to know the answer to this question? He just broke his shoulder and it would be better if he didn't have to go to Laos to apply for a Non imm Visa.

Ask Chiang Mai immigration, but they are not noted for changing visas and usually refer you to Bangkok. Also, you cannot get a non-immigrant "O-A" visa issued inside Thialand. You can get or change to a non-immigrant "O" and one-year extension of stay based on retirement, if you qualify.

There have been several recent reports confirming that CM-immigration does the convertion based on retirement. Based on marriage it seems indeed that one is send to BKK.

I am wanting to change a non b to extension of stay based on marriage.....do-able?

So....If I had to go to Bangkok.....

I could get Dad to swear an affidavit concerning his canadian pension money, do my own application for extension of stay based on marriage, use my seasoned funds that are in a foreign currency account (will this qualify?), then when the time comes, use the funds to put into his account for his application to make up the balance of his 800k...

When he applies for his conversion of tourist visa to Non O, will he get 90 days and then has to apply for extension, or does he do "all that" at application time?

There have been several recent reports confirming that CM-immigration does the convertion based on retirement. Based on marriage it seems indeed that one is send to BKK.

I am wanting to change a non b to extension of stay based on marriage.....do-able?

That is no problem, you already have a non-immirgant vis and are not converting. You simply change your reason of stay.

I could get Dad to swear an affidavit concerning his canadian pension money, do my own application for extension of stay based on marriage, use my seasoned funds that are in a foreign currency account (will this qualify?), then when the time comes, use the funds to put into his account for his application to make up the balance of his 800k...

When he applies for his conversion of tourist visa to Non O, will he get 90 days and then has to apply for extension, or does he do "all that" at application time?

Sometimes they do all in one, but not sure about CM. Suspect they will give 90 day and he has to go back after 60 days to get a 1 year extension.

Sometimes they do all in one, but not sure about CM. Suspect they will give 90 day and he has to go back after 60 days to get a 1 year extension.

That is correct. I had one month left on my tourist visa and I qualified for the Non-O-visa, and I went to CM immigration and asked them if I could both switch to Non-O visa and get my one-year extension on the same day, and they said no. As stated above, you go once to switch to Non-O and then you go back after 60 days to get the one-year extension, and show them the same documents (updated) all over again.

In addition to the 800,000 Baht, I wish to know whether

it is necessary to produce a "police check" clearance

letter and also a "medical" letter.

If so, how do I go about it.

Your kind advice is much appreciated.

Thanking you all in advance.

For a one year extension of stay from Immigration in Thailand such letters would not be required.

For a one year non immigrant O-A visa such letters would be required and obtained in your home country which is also where you would apply for the visa.

Thank you very much, Lopburi3.

Assuming if I just apply for an 90 days "O" Visa in my home country

and then later in Bangkok apply for the "retirement visa" then

it will save me all the trouble of getting those "two" letters.

Is this OK ? Or any other easier solutions ?

Getting a medical letter in my home country, may costs me a fortune,

because they may conduct all unnecessary tests. Tests like blood test,

X-ray tests and all the other unnecessary tests. You know what I mean.

Please kindly advice.

Thank you.

Yes you can do that way and if Consulate does not wish to issue such a visa just arrive on a tourist or visa exempt and convert at Immigration for 2,000 baht (proof of meeting requirement financial/age required).