Metered Taxi Booking

DoiSuthep

Hello everyone,

I need to book a reliable metered taxi to go from my condo near the CMU to the CNX Airport for an early morning flight next week.

Can you recommend a company and their phone number for booking? Do you know the app. fare and fees? When to book?

Please note: I am only interested in those A/C taxis, not the tuk-tuks or red-taxis.

Any info is welcome. Please send me a Private Message if posting numbers is against the forum rules.

Thanks in advance.

Have used the airport limo service loads of time and they are reliable and reasonably priced. Number is 053 201 307. The office doesn't open until 7 or so so if you need a pick up before this hour then book night before and insist on the assigned drivers number.

Happy travels

There are NO metered taxi's in Chiang Mai. All taxi companies charge a flat rate fee of about 150 Baht for most destinations within the city. There are several taxi companies here now.

Really? I must be going crazy. I'm sure they've turned the meter on for me when traveling from the airport to my house as they couldn't figure out where the hell I lived so didn't want to quote a fare up front. Airport to near Big C Don Chan is 80 Baht on the meter, plus the airport charge, so 150B all in including tip. Funny that!

I don't trust anyone to get me from house to airport, I'm not missing a flight because some taxi driver got a better offer of a fare, or couldn't be bothered to get out of bed. Getting to the airport is what neighbours are for.

I don't trust anyone to get me from house to airport, I'm not missing a flight because some taxi driver got a better offer of a fare, or couldn't be bothered to get out of bed. Getting to the airport is what neighbours are for.

I was afraid someone might say this. That's why I would like to have a few choices of Taxis.

I prefer the closed vehicles (so no insomniac will spray water on me at 5.30am), but in an emergency I will have to take a tuk-tuk and my umbrella.

Worst-case scenario, I take my motorbike and put small luggage on back and wear my rain-coat....

Oh Songkran, don't you just love it???

Thanks to the people who have responded so far.

There are NO metered taxi's in Chiang Mai. All taxi companies charge a flat rate fee of about 150 Baht for most destinations within the city. There are several taxi companies here now.

Really? I must be going crazy. I'm sure they've turned the meter on for me when traveling from the airport to my house as they couldn't figure out where the hell I lived so didn't want to quote a fare up front. Airport to near Big C Don Chan is 80 Baht on the meter, plus the airport charge, so 150B all in including tip. Funny that!

They haven't used the meters for about a year and a half now. The best thing to do if you are going to use a taxi from time to time is to get the business card from a driver you like and call him or her direct. This cuts out the 50 Baht commission to the taxi company.

I have nver been able to get a meter taxi to actually put the meter on as the poster said its a set fare 99.999% of the time

Edited by DiamondKing

Hello everyone,

Here are my findings:

I rang various 'Metered' Taxi numbers to find out if they pick up from my condo (in the city area, I could walk to CNX in 30-40 mins).

The standard price seems to be 150 THB. However, I need the pick-up very early to catch a 7AM flight. So they pushed the price up to 250 THB. All the taxi companies.

Luckily my luggage will not be very large. So I decided that that I will just ride myself on my motorbike to the airport, luggage on my back.

I will park my motorbike at the airport car-park for free. When I return a week later, I will just ride back home. No need to worry if the taxi company understood where to pick me up from, or to worry if they are going to be late or turn up at all. And I save 400 THB.

It is actually not about the money anymore. They just tried to screw me one too many times. I know that It is a lose-lose situation. But I just had enough of these pathetic scams.

Well, I hope that other people have more pleasant experience with taxis in CM.

I miss those BKK taxis, they are plentiful, available 24/7 and priced fairly with the meters actually running.

They asked for an extra 100 baht because the driver would have to start work probably three hours earlier than usual.

Is that one of the ways they "tried to screw you"?

Don't go to the USA. Apparently you don't know what getting screwed is.

My experiences with the Chiang Mai Airport Taxi Cooperative are only positive. Polite, English speaking and reliable drivers.

They called back to reconfirm, and arrived 10 minutes early in a fairly new car or mini van.

So, 150 Baht or 250 Baht for the very early trip from down town to the airport seems not excessive to me.

Where else can you get a car to pick you up and drive you to the airport for 5 – 8 US Dollars?

If I had a choice going by bike, luggage on the back, or sitting in an air-con mini van all by myself

for 8 bucks, properly I'll take the mini-van.

Edited by Orita

My experiences with the Chiang Mai Airport Taxi Cooperative are only positive. Polite, English speaking and reliable drivers.

They called back to reconfirm, and arrived 10 minutes early in a fairly new car or mini van.

So, 150 Baht or 250 Baht for the very early trip from down town to the airport seems not excessive to me.

Where else can you get a car to pick you up and drive you to the airport for 5 – 8 US Dollars?

If I had a choice going by bike, luggage on the back, or sitting in an air-con mini van all by myself

for 8 bucks, properly I'll take the mini-van.

5 to 8 U.S. Dollars you say? But this is not America; this is Thailand.

----

Yes, indeed, of course, this is Thailand.

Does 150 250 THAI BAHT feel too much for a taxi ride in the very early hours?

Someone comes, let's say 5 : 30 in the morning to pick you up and drive you to the airport in a fairly new limo or van.

Now, what do you think would be a fair price?

What else can you get in Thailand for that money? A large Frappocino at Starbucks perhaps.

Edited by Orita

----

Yes, indeed, of course, this is Thailand.

Does 150 – 250 THAI BAHT feel too much for a taxi ride in the very early hours?

Someone comes, let's say 5 : 30 in the morning to pick you up and drive you to the airport in a fairly new limo or van.

Now, what do you think would be a fair price?

What else can you get in Thailand for that money? A large Frappocino at Starbucks perhaps.

I've never been to Starbucks. :unsure: