Driving In The Us With A Thai Driving Licence

MSingh

Can anyone give me some information or point me in the right direction on if it's legal to be able to drive in the US States of IL, WA, OR & CA with a Thai Driving Licence only, whilst on Vacation ??

Thanks in advance for any replies.

This is the closest i have found to an answer below with regards to Illinois but a Thai Licence wouldn't be from my " home Country " bearing in mind i have a British Passport.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/drivers/drivers_license/tempvisitordl.html

Can foreign nationals who are temporarily in the U.S. drive on their licenses from their home country?

Yes. This new law does not change the fact that a foreign national who is temporarily residing in Illinois may continue to drive on a valid driver's license from his/her home country.

You'll need an "International Drivers license" to be safe for all states. You'll also need it just to rent a car. You will also need 'Proof of Insurance" for all states too or you may need to post a bond. Car rental agencies will also provide insurance for you that they will add to the rental if you don't have insurance. Getting an International license is easy here. Many places offer the service and I think even your Embassy might even offer it too. It's a lot safer have the documents before you go or you could find yourself in a very awkward situation with the local police. Now this is all relative if you don't have an accident or get stopped by the police.

No, you must have a local lic. or international.

Thanks but that doesn't appear to be the case just by looking at what i C&P from teh Illinois Website in the Original Post..

Edited by MSingh

You'll need an "International Drivers license" to be safe for all states. You'll also need it just to rent a car. You will also need 'Proof of Insurance" for all states too or you may need to post a bond. Car rental agencies will also provide insurance for you that they will add to the rental if you don't have insurance. Getting an International license is easy here. Many places offer the service and I think even your Embassy might even offer it too. It's a lot safer have the documents before you go or you could find yourself in a very awkward situation with the local police. Now this is all relative if you don't have an accident or get stopped by the police.

Yep of course, thanks very much for your help..

Last year I rented a car from Avis in Los Angeles using my 5 year Thai drivers licence + my Internatioal Drivers license that I got at the Dept of Land and Transport in Bangkok (500 baht). I had no problems at all. My California drivers license was due to expire only 5 days into my visit there and the rental company would not rent to me without a license, but would accept my Thai D.L.

In the UK, i hired a Mercedes ML350 with just using my Thai license and drove around Europe on it without any problems whatsoever.

Just plead ignorant.

Yeah that's was i was thinkign as long a sthe Insurance were ok, i'll be using a Friends Car in this case & not a Rental Companies Insurance coverage so he'll need to get onto them..

Thanks again for all your help..