Pets & Vets In Thailand

I live in the Krabi area and will be returning to the United States later this year for a few months. Since the U.S. requires that birds (even U.S. origin birds, which mine are) be quarantined at a USDA facility for 30 days, I do not want to take my two birds home with me. I would like to find a place to board them while I am away. I have looked into two places, one vet and one pet shop and would not board at either place because they were dirty--both the cages and the facilities. Can anyone recommend a clean place where I can board my Small White Crowned Amazon and Blue Crowned Conure that is clean, provides some attention and healthy food??? I would really appreciate some help on this. jap.gif

I don't know Krabi, but in BKK there is Thonglor Pet Hospital in Sukhumvit. Very clean and well run. Bit overpriced for dogs, but I don't know squak about bird prices. I would imagine your best bet would be a trustworthy friend.

send a message to putu94.look for his name here on the fforum and post a message to him.. i dont know where he is situated but he has an aviary and breeds, he loves his birds, and perhaps he could bird sit for u.... itmight be worth the travel and work out the rest with him (maybe a barter for bird stuff from the states or something); whatever u do, make sure u stipulate what to do if a bird falls ill, how much money u would want to spend on vet/meds; if the bird dies/flies away.... all in writing so both sides are protected. i would not leave a parrot at a pet shop or a vet if they arent parrot oriented/separate facilities... especially if the conure has to be handled /played with etc... make sure the birds are id'd (leg band or whatever) etc... and what to do in case for whatever reason u dont get back on time or cant come back...

bina

israel

If you read the USDA's fine print you can elect to do a home quarantine if you meet the conditions (not around foreign birds, etc) and sign a promise they'll stay in your home.

But with the CITES, USDA, etc.. hassles.. it's hardly worth it for a few months.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know Krabi, but in BKK there is Thonglor Pet Hospital in Sukhumvit. Very clean and well run. Bit overpriced for dogs, but I don't know squak about bird prices. I would imagine your best bet would be a trustworthy friend.

Thanks. I'll keep them in mind if I can't find something closer. I REALLY appreciate your help.biggrin.gif

send a message to putu94.look for his name here on the fforum and post a message to him.. i dont know where he is situated but he has an aviary and breeds, he loves his birds, and perhaps he could bird sit for u.... itmight be worth the travel and work out the rest with him (maybe a barter for bird stuff from the states or something); whatever u do, make sure u stipulate what to do if a bird falls ill, how much money u would want to spend on vet/meds; if the bird dies/flies away.... all in writing so both sides are protected. i would not leave a parrot at a pet shop or a vet if they arent parrot oriented/separate facilities... especially if the conure has to be handled /played with etc... make sure the birds are id'd (leg band or whatever) etc... and what to do in case for whatever reason u dont get back on time or cant come back...

bina

israel

Thanks for all your good inputs. I have send putu94 a message; hopefully he will have some suggestions. Thanks again!laugh.gif